lighter socket relocation and 5 beeps | FerrariChat

lighter socket relocation and 5 beeps

Discussion in '360/430' started by lukek, Nov 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I have a 99 USA version 360 F1 Modena. I have tried to install the cup holder that replaces the ashtray. Instructions stated that the cig lighter bypass kit would include a red/black wire, but both wires were black. There was a "negative" sticker, but it came off in the bag. Rather than wait...I had gambled and hooked it up. First hook up did not result in juice (tried different accessories). Reversing the hookup did not help. Now, even the ashtray light does not work.

Will reversing polarity blow a fuse?

On top of this...I have a new issue, which may be related. My alarm now does 5 beeps instead of one upon arming. The manual says that this means that doors or windows are open, but they are definitely not. I wander if these two could be related.

I have contacted the vendor to get some hints about which wire is positive, but no response yet, although I have only emailed a couple of days ago. This seemed so simple.....
    :)

2. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    just in case it helps someone...i am answering my own question:
    The 15amp fuse did indeed blow when I hooked up the cig lighter rerouting kit the wrong way. And it is wired in a way that affects the alarm. So....if you blow fuse #70 for the cig lighter...your alarm will beep 5 times instead of once upon arming.
    Now...if I only I could get the vendor to tell me which one of the black wires is positive. Perhaps after Thanksgiving.
    :)

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    In a cigarette lighter the innermost post is positive.. I.e. the rivet on the bottom. The "sleeve" is usually negative. You could use a multimeter to determine voltages a well.

4. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Thanks, makes sense.
    I have the info on the wires from the car, but the issue is with the accessory. I will try to take it apart and see which wire is positive and which one is negative.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Luke,

Curt is spot on. The center conductor on the cig lighter is positive.

I am an electrical engineer by trade. Come on by my house one Saturday and I can help you. I have a multi meter and should only take us a minute to determine for sure. I've got ice cold beer in the fridge too.

Dan

6. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I gave up on using the new accessory socket in the way that they describe in the cupholder fitment paperwork and ended up having my local mechanic install it into the glovebox for me.
    This seemed the neatest route to take, no holes to drill etc etc