CS Exhaust for 2001 360 Spider | FerrariChat

CS Exhaust for 2001 360 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cgk360, Dec 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My stock exhaust is leaking the ceramic powder from my stock exhaust and I'd like to replace it with the factory racing (CS) exhaust. Does anyone know if the factory racing exhaust exhaust system is compatible with the 2001 MY? I read something about the ECUs that come with the exhaust kit being incompatible with the '01s. If this is the case, is there any reason the stock ECUs can't be used if I install the CS exhaust?

2. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Many have used the stock ECU on the CS exhaust with no issues. The biggest difference you will/would notice is the exhaust valves open up later (I believe 6K RPM) with the CS ECU's.

No sure if there are any additional advantages with the CS ECU's (maybe mapping tweaks?), but I intend on installing them when I install my CS exhaust during the Christmas break.

3. Dubya

Dubya Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I have 2000 360 with CS exhaust and the ECUs that came with it.
    Valves open at 6000m, and it sounds awesome. And no more dust!

Only prob is that I have a CEL, but car operates perfectly.

I'll sort that light out one day.

4. parthiban

parthiban Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    I've not heard any specific issues around 01 cars, from what I was told when I bought my CS exhaust (for an 01 UK car) the US cars need the updated ECUs and the Spiders also need additional O2 sensors.

5. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Just an FYI,
    I can retune the ECU's and give you 25HP gain and eliminate the Cat Lite for Fchat special 1499.00 complete
    I also have a remote Valve controller that will let you open and close the valves from a remote or a hard wired switch in your car at any time
    If you have any questions PM or email me.
    CS exhaust is great, Sounds great on my car
    A side note, if you a buy CS exhaust from a dealer they will update your build sheet to show the CS as an upgrade when your car was built
    Good Luck
    Glenn
    PS, I also make manifolds and Sport Cats

6. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Hi Glen, interesting bit of info there. Post a picture of the manifolds you make for the 360, I haven't seen them in a while :)

7. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    I have a Ferrari Racing Exhaust on my '02 360 Spider with the original ECUs and it works fine, yes the valves open at a lower RPM but it's no big deal.

8. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Can you clarify the difference of rpm between the two? My standard exhaust is showing white dust syndrome and I'm keen to upgrade. I thought the standard exhaust valve open up at lower than 6000 rpm?

9. TheGeeMan

TheGeeMan Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Montreal , Canada
    Full Name:
    Eddy
    Hello Glen, I recently bought my CS exhaust from ferrari maserati of atlanta, does it mean they automatically updated my build sheet as you mentioned or is something I have to have them do for me ?

10. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    It opens at the same RPM as the standard valves - so, what's that , around 4400 rpm ?

The control mechanism is the same, just the valves are different and of course integrated into the exhaust itself.

11. parthiban

parthiban Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    We're lucky in that UK cars are fine with the standard ECUs, as far as I know the US cars do need them changed, something to do with emissions regs I believe.

12. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Ferrari 360 Spider - Tunnel Acceleration - YouTube
    This is the standard sound. Will The CS open at the same time and be louder?

13. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    No, if you install the new ECU's that come with the racing exhaust, the valves will open at 6K rpm vs. the stock 4K rpm.

14. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for all your input to my OP. Just curious, but why would the CS exhaust valves open at a higher RPM than the standard 360's?

15. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    I suspect that, as the CS exhaust routes the gas not via the silencer (muffler ?) with the valves open but effectively straight through the sound was probably judged to be better heard at higher rpm. The stock system still routes gas through the silencer partly even with the valves open.

16. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    It is am amazing sounds. The one that we installed still has the valves disconnected.

Cant beat the scream of the Ferrari V8.

David

17. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Okay, here is my update. I purchased the factory racing kit on eBay from Algar Ferrari. Kevin O'Donnell who runs Algar's eBay parts sales operation was a big help with my ECU questions.

The kit comes with two blank ECUs. I sent Kevin my VIN and he sends the blank ECUs with my VIN to Ferrari North America for programming to match the vehicle with the new freer flowing exhaust. In addition to changing the valve opening rpm to 6000, the programming also remaps the fuel delivery control to maximize the power increase from the racing exhaust. Kevin wasn't sure if FNA updates the build sheet, but they will have the record of programming the ECUs for my VIN, so maybe that's what Glenn and Eddy we're referring to above.

I can't wait to get this installed and see how different it feels and how it sounds. More to follow post installation.

18. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh, and one more thing, the ECU programming by FNA ensures no codes or CEL because it's matched to the vehicles emissions control system.

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I purchased my racing exhaust from Ferrari at Tampa Bay. They also included 2 ECUs. I went ahead and installed them and got CELs. Had to do with unable to set mixture correctly. Researched and found that the ECUs they sent me had part number for the Challenge Stradale for Europe only. Not the USA version. Called Ferrari Tampa Bay and they had me send the ECUs back and they sent them to FNA to be re-flashed. I gave them my VIN number. I re-installed the old ECUs and they work fine. Valves open at 4000 RPM just as before. I am keeping my new re-flashed ECUs for spares. Might sell them some time. But if you install them, they learn the car and the security and then cannot use them on a different car.

Steve

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
  21. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Steve, did Ferrari of Tampa Bay send the kit's ECUs to FNA for programming to your VIN before shipping to you or did u just install the ECUs as received?

22. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    When I purchased the racing exhaust, it arrived without the ECUs, but it was advertised as including the ECUs. I called Ferrari Tampa Bay and they sent out two ECUs. It was after I got the ECUs and installed them that I discovered they were for Euro version of CS and they caused CEL on my 360. So, another call to Ferrari Tampa Bay and that is when they took down my VIN and then sent to FNA to get them reflashed.

Steve