Gearbox warning light is blinking | FerrariChat

Gearbox warning light is blinking

Discussion in '360/430' started by rumen1, Dec 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Hi guys, today a strange thing has happened with my Scud. As I started the car, the gearbox warning light has started to blink. However, the car is changing gears fine and everything with the gearbox seems fine. But the light still warns me for an issue.

I know the best way is to diagnose the car with a SD3 reader, however, it doesn't seem, that anyone in my country has one, so before I ship the car to any of the Ferrari dealers in the neighbour countries, I wanted to ask if it is possible, that it blinks because the clutch is weared? Anyone had a similar issues before?

2. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Get an OBDII reader (costs from $10 upwards), plug it in to the car and tell us the error codes. Judging by the fact the light is blinking I would think it's something serious, like blinking CEL. I wouldn't drive the car for now.

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    IIRC the Gearbox flashing light means low pressure in the system.
    Maybe there is low fluid, a leak, or a bad pump?

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    An obd tester will not communicate in any way whatsoever with the gearbox TCU so I wouldn't waste your time. It needs an SD3. It could be a pump, it could be an e-diff solenoid it could have a leak as Chris has said, could have an a release bearing issue...etc etc. The faults are many and varied so it needs diagnosis by someone who knows how they work.

5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Not necessarily so. My OBD2 reader gave me the clutch position sensor reading, which I would think is stored in the TCU. Even if it's useless, it doesn't hurt to have that tool. I would love an SD2 or 3, if it wasn't so damn pricey.

6. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Really? Never heard of an obd reader (which reads engine data only through three k-line feeds) be able to read clutch data....

You would do more harm than good trying to fix a gearbox issue with uneducated guesses and a cheap-ass OBD reader...

As to owning an SD2 or 3, again, those are professional diagnostic machines not suitable for DIY use.

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, so a worn clutch will not cause that? (keeping in mind, that the car doesn't go suddenly to neutral)

8. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    What tool do you have? I'm very interested in a generic OBD reader that can connect to the TCU. Can you post any screen shots?

9. chillo

chillo Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    East Yorks, England
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I use this to read (& clear if you have them) cel messages on an Audi A4 B7 and the 430:
    Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181356394982

Apple WIFI elm 327 diagnostic adapter reader reset tool

And use with dash cmd app on my iPhone:
    DashCommand - OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics by Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. https://appsto.re/gb/_TOjt.i

Not connection to either, they just work!

10. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Why not at least check the F1 fluid level?

11. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    What model do you have, would interested in getting for that info? I have 3 OBDII readers, plus laptop version, never been able to pull anything other then ECU faults.
    THX

12. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    But can you connect to the gearbox TCU and read clutch parameters with these devices? Because I'm sure you can read only obd codes and a few parameters....

13. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    For sure you can't.

14. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Can you connect to the gearbox TCU with that app?

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #15 rumen1, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, my mechanic has bought a diagnostic system and it seems, that the problem is in the brake switch. I have bought new electric pump too, just in case, because I decided to change the clutch and the clutch bearing and since the whole gearbox will be stripped, I prefer to change the pump too. We'll see what happens.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    The new brake switch has arrived last week, we have changed it, but the P1760 error keeps on showing and the warning light keeps blinking.

Guys, any ideas why is this happening and where must we search the problem?

17. vaporhat

vaporhat Rookie

Jul 31, 2006
    P1760 is the brake switch sensor. Probably a separate issue from the gearbox light.

Did you scan the TCU?

18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Not sure how to do that...

19. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    In your picture, it had a fault for pump control relay stuck. Could it possibly be the relay for the pump?

20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    All other errors have been cleaned, but the one for the brake switch was the only one in red on the diagnosys and unfortunately it still remains even after the brake switch have been replaced with a new one.

21. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    You need to check the brake switch signal at the TCU plug..

22. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    my light blinks sometimes as I shift, has been for 3 years now. I have had not one but 2 different Ferrari dealers AND a independent look at the system with SD2, all 3 said they saw the light blinking but nothing shows up on the SD2 as to why, pressure is good, etc. 20,000+ miles and I am used to seeing that light flicker sometimes now, no issues with the car.

Drive the car to someone with SD2, not someone with a generic tester and see what they say then drive it and enjoy it.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many of those TCU hard faults cannot be cleared without an SD2 or SD3. I have one now on my F1 system caused by a loose sensor/potentiometer connector. Connector reattached, but the fault is hard and needs an SD2 to clear.

Not sure if the brake light fault works the same way, but Eddie should know.

24. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, the problem is that all other errors have been cleared and this one doesn't want to. I think his diagnostic tool is fine , because it works for the procedure of testing and adjusting the new clutch, cleaning the errors and everything...

Does anyone know where can I find the wiring diagram of the 430 Scud?

25. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, car is finally home and I still can not believe what happened! The problem for all this were... the bulbs of the rear lights!!!

Because my car has blackened tail lights, it needs red bulbs and several days after the delivery of the car, I decided to replace them with LED bulbs, because they are brighter. And obviously the problem was in these LED bulbs, which have fooled the brake switch, which is connected with the gearbox ecu and the end result was, that because of the changed rear bulbs, my gearbox warning light was blinking! Just can't believe this...

So finally, after so much work, the "problem" is cured....