CS for MP4 12C ?? | FerrariChat

CS for MP4 12C ??

Discussion in '360/430' started by John B, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Although I wasn't really thinking of selling my CS, I received an unsolicited request and made an offer. This got me seriously thinking about what would I replace it with, and I'm intrigued with the MP4 12C.

I've always liked the Mclaren. The engineering, and performance are remarkable and it's their own engine and gearbox. I actually like the "relatively" understated look. They are certainly well down the depreciation curve at this point.

What is the boards experience with the MP4 12C?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Lots of comparison threads in the 458 & McLaren sections

3. Nero_Tenebre

Nero_Tenebre Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Nero
    That would be a HUGE upgrade though this is a Ferrari forum and thus you may not receive those opinions here! The MCLAREN is newer, faster, better looking, has better doors (haha), and of course is TURBOCHARGED for easy upgrading but I would say the CS sounds better and offers that Ferrari race car-like experience.

4. C360S

C360S Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Don't do it. No sound to speak of. Technologically superior in every way but no soul. I prefer the pure unadulterated feel of the CS. Also depreciation is only going to get worse now with the 650s and 625s.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's a quantum leap in performance... but other than that I wouldn't do it. A million of them for sale, in the end IMHO its going to be like an Aston in depreciation. I wouldn't do it personally.

6. Jonkheer

Jonkheer Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Christiaan
    Have you driven one?
    No? Do that first then you wil know what to do!

Keep the CS!

7. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    +1

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've never driven the CS. I've driven the MP4 and Scud and 458 multiple times at the track.

The MP4 will be substantially faster and easier to drive. Boring driving connection w the car though in my opinion. It's an amazing car but I was not psyched to get back in it really. Contrast that w the scud and 458 and I wanted to cry when it was over.

It is also going to continue depreciating. The CS is going to hold value and appreciate long term.

9. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The sound of the 12C is utterly boring--pretty much the opposite of the sound of the Stradale.

10. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

You got the unsolicited offer to buy your car for a reason.

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Maccas depreciate like crazy. I'd stick with the CS as it appears that it is now an appreciating asset. If you sell, you may live to regret it.

12. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    If you're looking for performance, the MP4 has mountains of it. What it lacks is visceral passion and a soundtrack.

At today's pricing for both CS & MP4, you could probably pick up an MP4 and still have cash in your pocket for other vices.

Really boils down to what you're looking for...
    • speed vs porker
    • appreciation vs depreciation
    • creature comforts vs barebones
    • symphony vs fax machine

13. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    As you know it's gonna be tough getting an unbiased opinion in here as we all adore the CS. And that's no hype... Really depends what u want out of a car..imo the CS is the type of car you keep forever. Don't sell it.

14. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    One is going up in value. The other is tanking. I know which one I want.

15. F.Watson

F.Watson Rookie

Sep 16, 2014
    To answer your question, 'CS for MP4 12C?', my answer would be 'No'.

Keep the faith.

16. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
  17. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    #17 wolfturbo, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    I'm surprised how many 12C bashers there are - not just on this board by the way. I have owned a dozen or so Ferraris including a Stradale and a Scud. I have also owned a 12C coupe and currently have a 12C spider.

I don't view the Strad and 12C as comps at all. The 12C is superior in every way but looks and sound in my opinion. In fact, the 12C might be the best all around sports car I have ever owned. For disclosure purposes I am currently looking for another Scud and another Strad, but I don't think of them as substitutes at all, just complementary.

12C's have taken a gigantic depreciation hit. Not sure how much lower they will go, but I don't know of any other carbon fiber tubbed supercars with comparable performance and technology for the same price point.

Damn, I'm sure I am about to get mega-flamed for this post!!!!! :)

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    you're just speaking to the wrong audience. many, if not all, cs owners on here don't see value in performance or technology or race heritage; they see only $$$ value.

19. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Wow. the 12C have depreciated a lot!
    Didn't realize.
    the temptation......

20. MB_Fahrer

MB_Fahrer Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yep. Just kind of silly if you ask me. There's so much more to a car than it's monetary value. At least to me. How it drives, what it looks like, how much fun it is, and how it makes you feel. I drove a friends 12c and didn't really care for it. It just wasn't much fun--it wasn't exciting. To me anyway.

21. drew138

drew138 Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    How many people have sold and re-bought a stradale? Or added a second to the stable?

CS is a timeless design. 12C not so much. But at the end of the day I think it's wise to ask these questions and to continually challenge your ownership decision from time to time.

Good luck.

22. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    That's funny... u just listed some of the main reasons why CS owners love their cars... Increasing in value is just an added bonus.. There's a reason(s) why prices are where they are. Personally, I don't care too much about the value etc... Markets gonna do what its gonna do...I just let the market do the talking.

23. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for all the input.
    I'm going to drive a 12C and see what I think.

24. Mads550

Mads550 Rookie

Jun 14, 2014
    i currently am on my second CS, one of the most exciting road cars. Period. You can drive it flat out without necessarily going to jail, makes a great noise etc etc. However, once it gets to $200k value i don't necessarily see it the same. Similar can be said of the 250 series cars, there is no way a 250 lusso for example is better than a 550, but as a collectors piece it's worth a lot more. The value there is in 'collectors' eyes due to rarity more than comparable value to other cars. There is no way you can compare my FF to the CS, the FF is just a better car in every way. I also have been tempted by an MC12 due to its amazing value, but i haven't yet driven one so will reserve judgement. These problems are much better solved with an "and" rather than an "or"... :)

25. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Keep the cs. It's unique. Cars aren't made with soul like that anymore. With the rate cars are advancing in 5-10 years you'll be able to pick up a car with the performance of a 12c for a dime. Bottom line is cars aren't made that sound as good as the stradale these days (even pagani went turbo charged). Mclaren are also diluting their brand by releasing models at a lower price point than the 12c but they are basically all similar.

It's like trading your cAr for a late model bmw or porsche. In 5-10 years when said car is worth nothing and is no longer a technological marvel and the f car is a Classic worth even more money you'll regret it