Yet another CTEK Battery tender question | FerrariChat

Yet another CTEK Battery tender question

Discussion in '360/430' started by AlgaeHater, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    #1 AlgaeHater, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently replaced the battery in my scud with a new Optima 34R. When I hook up my factory battery tender to it, the "half battery" or "full battery" charging indication LEDs do not turn on, even after days of being plugged in. Only the amber/red on LED remains lit.

I noticed this was also the case prior to swapping out my battery. Is my tender dead?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  3. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    I read somewhere that the OEM rebadged CTEK 3300 has a hard time charging Optima AGM batteries - this is unusual considering my '08 scud came with the Optima 34R from the factory. I'm reluctant to go with another tender because I won't be able to use the factory charging receptacle under the dash. My new 34R cannot be nearing it's life - I just changed it yesterday :)

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That's what I mean...its a simple system, there's the battery, and the tender.

So if the battery is new, then the only other part in play is the Tender.

Dan

5. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Just measured my new battery with a voltmeter - measuring 11.9V with the engine off. In other words, the battery is fine. I also noticed no change in voltage when I plug/unplug the battery tender.

At this point, I think the tender needs to be replaced. Just wondering if anyone with the exact same OEM tender has experienced extended periods with no charging LEDs lit.

6. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    For optima or odyssey batteries you have to put it into the snowflake mode the ctek 3300 has that. The Ferrari charger looks to be a ctek 3300 with just one mode. On the factory battery you'd use the car mode, so I'm guessing the default only single mode is on the Ferrari charger is the car mode. The ctek 3300 has 3 modes - motorcycle, car, and snowflake.

7. Jonsav

Jonsav Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2014
    Canada
    Same deal with mine. I just ordered a new tender.

8. timba

timba Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm no expert, but hey, it's the internet so I feel qualified to chime in:
    I believe 11.9 is low for a resting voltage and does indicate a less than 1/2 charged battery, so I'm not surprised the 1/2 or Full LEDs are not on. The Ferrari badged charger is a rebranded Ctek 800 which is truly a trickle charger with a charging current of 0.8 Amps. The Ctek 3300 has additional modes including one for AGM batteries and a charging current of up to 3.3 Amps. For your AGM Optima battery, it seems that a Ctek 3300 would be a better charger for you. The connector used on the Ferrari charger is not proprietary. I purchased one from Newark.com.

9. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've been using a CTEK 3300 for the past 5 years on my 430 (and previously my 355) and just recently (2 weeks ago) bought a new CTEK MUS 4.3 from an Fchatter that has a bunch of new ones for sale at a great price ... $58 shipped. I intend to use the 4.3 for my 430 and the 3300 for my boat battery. I believe he still has a lot more for sale.

Here's his ad. Go to the bottom of this thread and you can see that he's still selling the 4.3.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-parts-collectibles/438686-ctek-battery-chargers-discounted-prices.html

10. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I assumed that the new Optima came charged. I guess what's needed is a long drive to charge up the battery. I'll then try and put the tender on it again.

11. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ new batteries do come charged. Including Optima. I've used a Red Top on my race car and have a smaller dry cell Odyssey lightweight battery in my GT2 which also came charged, the AGM are the same way. All of them come charged and respond well to ctek charges. for the ones I just mentioned use Snowflake mode on the Ctek 3300 or 4.3 and for factory/stock batteries use the 'Car' mode on the 3300/4.3 chargers. These will maintain your battery indefinitely and charge it when low, you can even charge a dead battery with these...and you never run the risk of over charging with these smarter chargers!

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are absolutely correct. All batteries now come precharged especially AGM batteries.

Drive your car for an hour to the grocery store and it will be fully charged.

I am anal so when my Optima AGM battery arrived I hooked it up to my battery charger before I installed it to my 360 and in 1 hour charger said its fully charged and I measured 14.7 volts.

Optima = excellent battery. I highly recommend.

Dan

13. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    I ordered the NOCO 3500. Thanks for the suggestion, Dan.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Looks to me the OEM tender here is the 800 version of the Ctek (0.8 amps). That cannot do AGM batteries. I don't think the factory Scud battery was AGM. The 3300 can output up to 3.3A. And it has the snowflake mode which is appropriate for the AGM battery. The 7002 model is a better choice still as it has better conditioning modes. It can also output up to 7A. Not sure about the other tender but if it works for you then that's a good move.

15. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    You are correct it is a rebadged Ctek 800 which I'm learning struggles with AGM. However, my scud did come from the factory with an Optima 34R. Strange that Ferrari would pair these two together. Italian engineering for the win.

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    See this post: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141102598-post12.html for where to order the connector and how to connect it to a standard c-tek battery tender, so that it maintains the no-start with tender connected feature (using the stock tender socket on the car)! Read further posts in the thread by the poster for additional details. I just ordered and received the parts from Mouser, about $15: stock connector onto a c-tek tender for use on the stock tender socket on my 612. Do it at your own risk, etc.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are most welcome.

I think you did the right thing. Just order the NOCO battery tender that we know works great with the Optima and be done with it. Issue solved. Your time is worth a lot more trying to figure things out.......

Let me know if I can help.

Dan

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice information here. I guess they went with the light weight option for the Scud battery. Fascinating stuff. And great information on the battery tenders.

19. AlgaeHater

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Just received my NOCO charger and wired it up to the leads behind the driver seat. Plugged it in and voila!, charger works. Thanks again for the recommendation.

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are most welcome! Glad We can help.

Merry Christmas to you and your entire family.

Dan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    My ctek battery charger has a button to cycle between Motorcycle, Car, and Winter mode... without pressing the button the amber light stays on and it does not charge the battery. FWIW, I have never had a problem with my unit and it was only like $40 on ebay.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info David.

Which CTEK battery charger model do you have?

Dan

23. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
  24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    To find the charger is the easy part. What about the male plug that goes into the car socket?

25. timba

timba Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #25 timba, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017