Carbon air boxes? Fact or fiction | FerrariChat

Carbon air boxes? Fact or fiction

Discussion in '360/430' started by PerthBloke, Dec 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerthBloke

PerthBloke Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I was thinking of getting CF air boxes, and performance filters, anybody with any thoughts? Waste of money or a positive improvement?

2. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
  3. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    CF air boxes look pretty to some. If you're looking for a performance benefit, then I would equate the results as to putting some VTEC stickers on your car :)

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The weight saving will definitely improve performance.
    Alan

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A waste? Pretty to some? You decide. I love them. Way better looking than the ugly stock air boxes. While you're there order the carbon fiber coolant bottle cover too and complete the package. Mine are from Carbonio.
    I did it strictly for looks.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    I think some work better than others. The cf material doesn't have anything to do w that it just looks cool more so the shape and volume determine the performance gain, as for weight a very slight savings but high up in the chassis.

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I'll buy them because they look nice. Not because I expect them to change the performance of the car.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you like them, get them. I think they look nice, and FWIW, they retain less heat. Don't expect any gains you can feel. There is much debate over whether to use any oiled filter, as the MAFS foul easily and you often can't tell because the losses come slowly and don't throw codes until they are about dead. I stuck with stock paper filters. These are Fabspeed CF boxes.

[​IMG]

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Weigh less.
    Better for heat.
    Because racecar.

10. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    #10 Carbonio, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a maker of CF airboxes of course I may be a little biased but allow me to give our perspective.

From a purely numbers perspective the CF boxes are lighter, and offer better flow and heat insulation than the stock airbox covers. In addition, they have tested to show a measurable increase in performance. Again by the numbers only they are an advantage over stock.

The reality is that pure engineering is not the exclusive reason why we own these cars and looks play a big role. If I told you that cutting a big flower shaped hole in your hood would increase downforce by 30% just about everyone would say no as the visual penalty is not worth the gains.

Realistically, the power gains relative to the overall performance of the car are minimal so we urge customers to consider the bigger picture of aesthetics and wow factor rather than try to sell them on their technical merits. Ferrari put its beautiful engine on display under glass for all to see and CF engine bay accents like the airboxes and coolant bottle cover really set off the engine bay giving it a visual tie to the Formula 1 race cars that bred the passion we have for the marque.

Now for some eye candy:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I love my CF air boxes . They look much better than the stock ones and I can tell a difference in the exhaust note than before. Not sure if anyone else noticed a deeper sound but definitely worth it I'm my opinion. Also just added the coolant bottle in CF which completes the look.

12. PerthBloke

PerthBloke Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I currently have my fabspeed headers being coated and will get them on mid Jan, I'll see how the car sounds then, don't want it too loud as it's a spider.. When you say the exhaust nite is different do you mean louder or nicer? Are you running stock exhaust?

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have seen several posts of owners who complain about OEM air boxes yellowing.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/402538-what-common-problems-scuderias.html

I would research the prospective purchase to avoid these - CF can be manufactured several different ways to produce a similar looking product that may not have the same end properties or lifespan.

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #14 SCEye, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    I agree that the car's performance will be 0.0002% faster due to weight loss.

However, the CF boxes pictured in Carbonio's post are quite beautiful. Makes the owner happier - isn't that the point?

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  16. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
  17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Needs more gooooooooold.

Amazon.com: DEI 010393 Reflect-A-GOLD 24"x 24" Sheet: Automotive

18. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    The sound was deeper and nicer in my opinion. I have a stock exhaust. Love the sound.

19. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    The biggest benefit is the induction sound. Very throaty compared to stock

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    CF look really nice. Great job Carbonio!

21. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Thank you for the kind words.

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    How much weight do the CF airboxes save? I suspect its a very small number. I tend to agree this is all about looks and simply enjoyment of the car. Totally legitimate reason- but not much of an objective performance reason.