F430 Scuderia tire recommendations. | FerrariChat

F430 Scuderia tire recommendations.

Discussion in '360/430' started by johnwi, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnwi

johnwi Karting

Nov 30, 2014
    santa monica, CA
    I just bought a 2009 Scud that is currently running Pirelli P Zero Corsas 235/25/19 front and 285/35/19 rear. i don't believe the tires have ever been changed and the car is sliding all over the place! I may track the car at some point but at the moment the car is mostly a street car.

i'm getting new tires and just wondering what most people are putting on their cars I hear the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazing. I do like to drive aggressively so looking for whatever will give me the best traction and performance.

I would love your thoughts! thanks.

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    If you are looking to track the car I hear the Michilin Pilot Port Cup 2 and I also hear the Pirelli Trofeo R are also great.

3. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have tried both Pilot Port Cup 2 and Pirelli Trofeo/Trofeo R

Pilot Port Cup 2: Good (best I have tested) compromise between wet and dry, but not as fast as the Trofeo R on dry track.

I am on Pilot Port Cup 2 now but will go back to Pirelli Trofeo R. There is a big difference in dry grip. I am loosing 1-1,5 s on a technical 1 minute track...

4. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I've had really good luck with MPSS's. I have the OEM wheels on my car and have 245's in the front and 295's for the rear. Plenty of grip for "spirited" street driving and also very good in the wet.

The MPSS's do not have the dry grip of the MPSC2's but are very good in all conditions and are also very durable. If you ever drive your car when the roads are not absolutely bone dry then these are a great option.

I have not had the car on track with them. I will be trying the new Hoosier R7's for tracking.

5. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Good comment on tire width. You should consider running 245 front and 285 rear to reduce under-steer...

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does moving to 245 from 235 make that much of a difference in terms of understeer? The understeer is pretty significant on the track with the 235's. For what it's worth, I'm running the PZero Corsas but am considering PSC2's.

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    For me the move to 245 and was pretty significant. The reduced understeer gave me much more confidence in the car and in combination with more aggressive camber I did cut seconds on track.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Excellent. That's where I am, in terms of the lack of confidence on high-speed turns. The car tends to push wide.

Yes, camber is something I'm going to look into as well. What are your camber settings? I believe I drive my car on the road more than you do so, while I want to increase camber, I don't want to go too aggressive.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    245/295 michelin pilot super sports are what I run. Best all around tire for street and track IMHO. Amazing in the wet. I had a chance to go max attack on them in torrential downpour last track day and was amazed.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rake and corner balance are also things to consider and can make a big difference.

Push vs oversteer at 140+. Better know what it will do. Be careful as you make changes! ; )

I'll post my settings once I get it to the race shop for measurement. Not sure when that will happen given the weather.

Max factory neg camber will likely not cause substantial abnormal wear to tires on street. Usually more a reflection of front toe. Go zero. Slight toe in for rear. Especially given the amount of track time you see, your tires aren't going to last that long anyway. I would go with the best setup for RA.

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks singletrack. There's a local shop here in ATL that lots of track guys go to to set up their cars. I'll share these thoughts and see what they say.

As for tires, I don't like driving the scud in the rain, so wet grip is less of an issue for me. I'm thinking of leaving the rears at 285 in an effort to shift more grip to the front end.

12. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    are you referring to gran turismo east?

13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  14. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Any recent feedback? Sport 4 s, Sport Cup2 or oem Pzero Corsa. Not worried about wet conditions. Car will be driven in dry and warm conditions. Thx

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Warm dry only, Sport Cup2 or Pirelli Trofeo R. They both have significantly more grip than MP4s.
    The SC2s will last longer, keep grip through more heat cycles, and are a better tire all around. Trofeos have slightly higher ultimate grip but go away really quickly. I run SC2s on my daily driven 991 turbo on all but the coldest and wettest three months of the year (December-February), as it doesn’t snow in the SF Bay Area. I can feel the loss of grip at night when road temps dip below 50F.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
  17. revolutionf355

revolutionf355 Karting

Apr 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    W
    Any more recommendations?

18. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    Michelin Cup 2 100%

19. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    If you find Sport Cup 2s in Scud sizes, please let me know where. I’ve been looking for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #20 f355spider, Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 in 285/35ZR19 have been on backorder for about 14 months at TireRack...and probably everywhere else.
    I am patiently waiting. I have the front and rears ordered, but requested shipping complete.

If everyone puts an order in, maybe that will induce Michelin to fulfill the orders?

21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm trying my second set of Cup 2's, a larger set-- 245/35/19 and 345/30/19 on the stock wheels. (that I bought on Fchat)

I've always worried about clearance up front when I used to track the car so I stuck with the 235 always. I wished I had tried the 245 up front because it seems like lots of clearance everywhere.

( the dune buggy looks of the rear tires aren't to my 458 friend's taste though)

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    305 or 345? My car had PZero Corsas in 305/30/19 on the rear when I bought it...I put it back to stock. But the 285s are aging out and need replacement.

23. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    A post revived from 10 years ago? Should that be allowed :)

24. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have 345 on rear but they look like an F1 tire….

Ive had all the sizes on the rear Scud rim… R7 325 nicest one IMO. 295– 315’s okay. A Dunlop 325 wouldn’t go on the rim…

25. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 and f355spider like this.