Cam Bearing or Gear Box Whir/Whine | FerrariChat

Cam Bearing or Gear Box Whir/Whine

Discussion in '360/430' started by TheRarriInMe, Dec 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    #1 TheRarriInMe, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    How's it going everyone. I have an issue that seems to be getting worse. When the car is under load in gears 2nd - 6th I hear a high pitched sound. When I release the gas pedal it goes away.

Please watch the video below and let me know if you think this is due to a cam bearing issue of gear box problem. I'm driving in 6th gear where the sound is the loudest.

Appreciate the help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLX1hm1y4rQ[/ame]

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Have you checked for antifreeze in the transmission?

When was the gear oil last changed?

What type of gear oil do you use?

BTW, posting recordings is pretty useless. The sound never comes out the same.

2NA likes this.
  3. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    ^^^ +1

Not an engine problem..

4. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    That's been checked, no leaks which would cause antifreeze to be in the transmission.

All fluids were topped off in September.

Gear box oil was changed June 2013, its a 75W-90 weight. Driven just over 6,000 miles since the change.

Thanks you're correct its much louder in the cabin than what the video portrays.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Well if you think about it.. wouldn't an engine issue manifest all the time?

Sounds tranny-ish. By no leaks they assessed the coolant-transmission oil intercooler?
    It sounds like going to have to go through it. Tranny fluid in a 360 is different than say a porsche. You have higher operating temperatures in the engine bay that will degrade the fluid faster than other cars. A yearly changeout isn't a bad idea. Might not be a bad place to start.. has transmission mount ever been changed?

6. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    That was my thought initially. I'm hoping its not and engine issue, especially a gearbox problem.

Yes the intercooler was one of the first things that was checked. The mounts have not been changed.

I'm taking it next week to have an annual done to get all fluids changed. Thinking about going with a thicker more viscous gearbox oil. Hoping this solves the problem.

What's a good oil, I've read on here that Royal Purple, Mobil and Redline are some of the best choices.

7. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    I really don`t want to scary you, but if the noise so loud as you say, something inside the gearbox will be bad already and the oil change will not fix it, just my opinion ..

2NA likes this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Way I see it.. once the tranny oil is out you can get an idea of the condition of it and metal shavings and content in it. If its a bearing in the transmission or another component that requires a rebuild then oil change is a comparatively cheap thing to work through anyway... I used Redline in mine last but I think Im going to do the Spirax route next...

9. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Not scared Hond, just wanting it to be a quick inexpensive fix. If not I'll be prepared either way.

Thanks Surg I'll make sure to tell the shop to look closely at the oil when they drain it, and thanks for the oil suggestions.

10. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Any update?
    I would bet that is a worn differential, either the traction unit or main drive gear.

11. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Yes, got all fluid changed and still hear the noise. Independent said its either in the gears or the bearings, suggested a new gearbox instead of a labor intensive gearbox breakdown investigation and rebuild.

Any good sources for a used 360 gearbox?

12. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    I would check:
    1. Ebay
    2. Ferrparts.com
    3. Exotic Auto Recycling

You can find the last 2 online but give them a call, they will guarantee the parts will work when installed or you get your money back.

If you are interested in selling the damaged transaxle - shoot me a PM, I bet me & my mechanic could repair it, I want a spare for my 360 Challenge car, even if its not repairable I can use some of its parts.

13. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
  14. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    if it goes away, once the pedal is let go....it is not likely to be related to the driveline, right? A worn differential would make the noise under load and just rolling. It would not stop.

I have a whine in the cabin, as well. It sounds similar and it also stops when I release the pedal. It feels like an intake noise.

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    When they changes the oil did they remove and check the screen to see if any metallic particles were present? Just checking the oil would probably not reveal any as the screen effectively removes them. If it was never cleaned (probably applies to most cars) then you may find metal as I did but it was aluminum from the case machining process).
    Alan

16. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    I disagree with your statement that a worn diff would make noise all the time. I just replaced one on my hauler truck. Most limited slip diff failures - and failure is a strong word, as they usually work but will not transmit torque to one side or the other- sound exactly like your video. You only hear noise while on the gas, total silence when coasting. If going uphill and holding speed- noise, flat out - usually can't hear it over the engine.

If you jack up one rear tire and leave the other on the ground, try to move the lifted wheel forward or back. Their should be some resistance. Different for every car but should require min of 5 - 20 pounds of force to get it to rotate. That is the clutch pak shifting the load. If it spins freely you diff is shot.

Can you still drive the car- yes, can you do damage to the transaxle- maybe, depends what failed. If only the clutch pack then you will be ok for a good number of miles. If a spring broke then something will eventually get chewed up. If your indie doesn't know all this, I would find a new shop.

I'm sure Ferrarri has a spec for the test above - on my GT3 - notorious for diff failures- it was either 8 or 10#'s.

Best of luck, sorry ur f car is making noises, but it's really not that bad.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    See what I don't understand.. is if you're going to have to replace the gearbox anyway if there is a failure (and I agree.. I'd just swap it out with a used box versus open it and repair it) why not just drive it until it completely fails? Assuming of course that another part isn't killed by the bad box. Assuming its a bad bearing, will you get 10,000 miles on it?

18. Justin1970

Justin1970 Rookie

Sep 18, 2011
    Well, I may not own a Ferrari yet, but, I have experienced that exact noise in my old rx7. That video brought back the dreaded sensation I had as I was driving down the highway when I was 18 and my axle came out and wheel and axle passed me!

The next time I heard that noise was in my Camaro, I recognized it immediately and ripped the diff apart. There were broken teeth abound but it was still working. Rebuilt it and the noise all went away.

I would suggest having your mechanic take apart the diff and just have a good look around, probably the cheapest solution.

g'luck with everything
    Justin

19. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Have you checked the torque on external fasteners?

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #20 vrsurgeon, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Not necessarily with Ferrari pricing! :)

I predict bearing on transmission shaft. Wouldn't you notice difference in while while on left versus right hand turns if in 5th gear if it was an axle shaft?
    I imagine its a $30 bearing that costs $3000 in labor to replace.

21. TheRarriInMe

TheRarriInMe Karting

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks March

Rebel, they checked, there was no metal

Black, not sure if they checked the torque.

22. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    My 430 developed a similar noise after the transmission was rebuilt. Wondering what veil May still lurk inside.
    What did you find out about your car?
    Thanks
    Victor

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- The differential is part of the transaxle. The transmission and rear end are all in the same case and pump lubricated.

24. STEW85

STEW85 Rookie

May 19, 2015
    Did you ever find out what the noise was from. I have the same noise in my 2000 360 f1

25. garcure

garcure Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hello all, have a 2000 360 F1 with a whining noise under acceleration. Had the gearbox oil changed recently. Noise still present. Sounds like a bearing noise. Would assume Transmission or axle bearing starting to fail? Anyone experience the same problem.