Potential newbie with Q's about '01 coupe at....Chevy dealer??? | FerrariChat

Potential newbie with Q's about '01 coupe at....Chevy dealer???

Discussion in '360/430' started by centerpunch, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    #1 centerpunch, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Longtime lurker here, with much Porsche experience and brief Ford GT experience, always loved the 360, and these days they seem like a great deal. I've looked at the buying FAQ thread and some other threads.

Interested in 360 manual tranny coupe in silver or grey with black interior.

Anyway, not a lot of manual tranny cars around, but found this one at a Chevy (!) dealer in CT. Carfax shows regular service at a NY Ferrari dealer, but also shows initial ownership in Puerto Rico. Looks like US spec car though ("A" in VIN number).

2001 Ferrari 360 Modena , $73,889 - Cars.com

Three questions:

Assuming I could convince the NY Ferrari dealer to do a PPI, what should that cost?

That interior is really NOT my color. I guess maybe I could find someone to swap black with me, but if not, what's a good $ guess on making all that red go away?

Price reasonable for miles? Anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Paul
    OH and NC

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I actually like the color combo, incl. the interior, which coincidently appear to have the sought after sports seats. Cost of PPI will depend on whether you want compression and leak-down tests done. I am guessing somewhere from $400-$800. If you don't like the red I would wait and find a different car.

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Paul,
    Welcome from a fellow Buckeye.
    The PPI cost should be around $500, that's what I spent at a Ferrari dealership before I purchased mine. We spent a good half-day examining the car in the service bay together.

FWIW, don't bother buying a car where you have to switch the interior. Doing so will hurt the value of the car. I realize 3 pedal cars are rare, but I'd keep looking if the interior color isn't for you.

Can't comment on the price for the miles. This car is too different from my area of expertise on the cars. I might say it's just a touch high, but it's probably because of the gearbox. Good luck. My search took me a year to find the perfect car.

Edit: Did you read the Carfax report? Started life in Puerto Rico. Then it moved and spent pretty much the rest of its life in New York. The report shows the service centers where work was completed - ask the current dealer if they have the records or if they're willing to obtain them. Without records, this is a tough sell.

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When I was in the hunt a couple months ago I saw that car (the ad, never saw it in person). Just could not get myself to be too interested in a Ferrari being sold off a Chevy used car lot.

Car I ended up with has same style seats. They come in different sizes. Sit in them. They fit different people different ways. I'm happy with them, just that they are not for everyone.

Go Bucks!

5. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I would not let the fact that it is at a Chevy dealer scare you. It could have been traded for a new Z06.

6. yellowducatista11

Aug 16, 2014
    Meadow Lake, SK, CDN
    Full Name:
    Lee Douglas
    +1

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Chevy dealer wouldn't bother me. The bright red interior would. Pretty much makes it sale proof in my eyes to only people who buy it thinking they can change the interior.

If you can live with that then go for it. A dye job on the interior would cut resale considerably. Check out how much $$$ replacement black leather would be. It can get pricey to swap out an interior...

8. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've had my eye on this car for a few months now, watching the price slowly come down. My 355 was titanium over bordeaux and I think it's one of the best color combinations of all time. Sports seats + 3 pedals + great color combo = want. Unfortunately I don't feel like dealing with Ferrari headaches anymore so I've talked myself out of it, but I hope someone snatches this up and puts it to good use before I change my mind. The dealership in question has and has had quite a few Ferraris, Astons, and Bentleys in the last three months so I wouldn't worry about that aspect.

Has anyone seen this car in person?

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am glad that someone is checking this car out. Color combo is awesome. I doubt you would get tired of it, so sexy with the black dash top. I think they want to get rid of it they have been dropping the price for a few months. Looks like a great deal, if the car is in good shape. You will need someone to PPI that is well versed in 360's to check it out for you though because I doubt a Chevy dealer has the depth

Sept price was $77,989
    Nov price was $74,989
    Dec price was $73,989

10. SRYACHT

SRYACHT Rookie

Nov 17, 2014
    Colchester Vt
    Full Name:
    Jeremy B
    I've been watching the same car for a month or so now since I am looking for a 3 pedal 360. I recently came across a website that detailed the amount of time cars were listed and it stated 177 days for this car. I agree that the red is not my favorite, but for an average mile gated 360, this is not a bad asking price. Knowing how the car world works, I would not doubt that this dealership has an ACV (actual cash value) of around 50k. I would highly doubt that they would take this car in trade or buy it at auction for any more than that. The puerto Rico initial car fax report is a little strange but it is what it is. A gated 360 for a reasonable price.

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I kind of like the color combo, but the racing seats are not for me. Red/tan (what I have) Ferrari cars are my favorite but if I had more than one Ferrari, I'd consider this color combo.

I wouldn't let the Chevy dealer bother you too much. I live in Connecticut and I had to look up that town as I'd never heard of it. There is no Ferrari dealer in that area and Miller and Wide World are both a very far distance away to get it checked out.

12. SRYACHT

SRYACHT Rookie

Nov 17, 2014
    Colchester Vt
    Full Name:
    Jeremy B
    I have been watching the same car since I live in New England and am looking for a 3 pedal 360. The color combo is not for everyone but the asking price is reasonable. Knowing how the car business works, I can't imagine that they have an ACV (actual cash value) of more than 50k on this car, wether taken in trade or bought at auction. If you can buy it right, it seems like a decent buy however I agree the Puerto Rico initial titling on the car fax may be a red flag, if you can negotiate a good price pending a PPI, this may be a good find. I am in the middle of a home sale/purchasing process right now or else I would be traveling to Connecticut to check it out. I did email the dealer just to inquire but all I received were automated messages. NOT a typical Ferrari purchase response I'm sure. Good luck!

13. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    Thanks for all the info and thoughts. I can't stomach that interior, so will probably just keep an eye out for another car.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #14 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    LOL It's an acquired taste but I really like it! It also probably looks way better in person.

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Nothing like a silver or gray Ferrari with red interior (as long as dash top and wheel is black). It is actually quite classic!

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I like red, but not for an interior of a car.

I agree with the others - I think you should wait for the right car that meets most items on your wish list.

Dan

17. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    +1. For a toy car, you shouldn't feel compelled to compromise very much if you have specific criteria in your mind. Keep watching and eventually the right car will find you.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I searched for 9 months until I finally found the car that meets every item on my wish list.

Latest year 360 I can afford: 2003
    Pristine condition inside and out.
    Low mileage: Mine had 10K miles when I bought it 11 months ago.
    All service up to date.

Rossa Corsa exterior, black interior.
    F1 transmission.
    Tubi exhaust already installed.
    Upgraded stereo system.

After market wheels (I am not a fan of starfish wheels.)
    Front and rear scud grilles already installed.
    Etc.

It was really worth the waith. 100% happy.
    Just be sure you save enough money for maintenance and repairs.
    I have a post here about my first 7 months of experience owning my car.
    The best car I have ever driven and owned.

Dan

19. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #19 Kevin Rev'n, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    So true!!! :)

22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Exactly! It's one of the all time classic color combos for sure, especially with a gray or dark blue exterior. When I was shopping for my 355 I was looking for blue/tan, but when I saw the titanium/bordeaux combo I jumped all over it. The only difference in mine was black carpets, which I think helps break things up a bit.

23. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I think the red looks good with the black dash, I bought a new Ghibli with this color combo...if it had a red dash I would pass....

24. centerpunch

centerpunch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    OH / NC
    I really appreciate you guys taking to time to help me think through this.

It's not that I don't love the interior, I .................totally hate it with a passion! It's just not for me...

So, what about using the color in negotiating the price down, then finding a red-loving 360 owner with a black interior, and swapping interiors?

Sounds like plenty of Ferrari guys would prefer this interior over black. Maybe at this point on the depreciation curve, originality can be trumped by personal preference, without a huge drop in value? For example, if this car was being offered now with a non-original to the car but still factory-produced black interior, I would be more interested in the car, not less.

Crazy idea?

Also, I see lots of these cars have about 10K miles. How much less is a 20K mile car worth? Should this car be priced in the $60's anyway?

25. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yes :)

There are plenty of titanium and silver cars with black interiors to go around. Finding someone to swap an interior would be completely unlikely and the cost completely insane. Also, trying to negotiate a price down by saying you hate something about the car as major as the interior is probably not a winning strategy. "I hate this car! But I want to buy it so sell it to me cheap" won't work.