F430 Spider purchase | FerrariChat

F430 Spider purchase

Discussion in '360/430' started by scottfisher7, Jan 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Everone,

I've been doing some research on this site while shopping for a F430.

2. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This is a great forum with lots of helpful information. I have learned the basics of what to look for in used F430 such as yearly maintenance, low #of previous owners, clutch wear %, cracked or replaced headers, lack of previous accidents, etc.
    A couple of other questions come to mind as I look at cars. 1- How does one arrive at a purchase price? I tried KBB and the answer was "too little data" or something like that. Is there a rough 10% off Dealer asking or another ballpark measure? 2- How do people feel about the brake options? The ceramics are expensive to replace but will last a long time. Im not going to track the car(have dedicated car for that) and at 7-8/10th's driving on the street I'm sure the steel clampers work superbly. If I do find a car with ceramics, at how many mm of wear do the pads need replacing?

3. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    1. Depends how motivated the seller is. Everything being equal, at this time of the year, sellers will he quite motivated, 10% maybe reasonable. Late April not so much.

2. Driving these cars at 7 or 8 10ths on the street is not advisable.

4. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    The cars are very sensitive to options, colors and mileage. Makes pricing them very difficult as they are all unique. Decide what colors you want, what options are must have. I built a spreadsheet and searched cars and autotrader to build a database but at the end of the day you pay what your comfortable with.

5. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks you gentlemen for the feedback, much appreciated.
    Im looking at this car as I love the color combo. The good is: one owner car, the headers and spark plugs were recently replaced with the maintenance, front pads at 11mm, rears at 9mm. The clutch has 50% wear. The bad is it appears he waited almost 2 years and 9-10k between maintenance service. Is this a deal breaker? Pre-Owned 2008 Ferrari F430 in Anaheim Hills CA | Serving

6. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Not a deal breaker for me, rare to find a car with "perfect" service history and intervals. Nice color, nice options (Daytonas, shields, carbon, CCB), higher mileage than many prefer but the price reflects that. Confirm all campaigns up to date and get a PPI. Make an offer although there's probably not a lot of room in that price.

7. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    and don't be afraid of calling the local Ferrari dealer with the VIN, I've always found them to be very helpful (within the rules of what they can share).

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Good luck hunting and keep us posted.

9. Keith Jecks

Keith Jecks Karting

Dec 31, 2005
    So long as the servicing has been carried out by a "proper" service agent, 2 years/ 9,000 miles wouldn't worry me at all. Looks a nice car (same colour combo as mine!)

10. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Nice looking 430.

11. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Definitely looks lovely. PPI and CARFAX both mandatory. The lower asking price for what is a well-equipped and later model car reflects the "high" mileage, but at least the car was driven. I wouldn't obsess about the service interval, since 9000 miles between services would be unheard of in a 911 or just about any other car. If you're a thousand mile/year guy, you might want to think of a lower mile car. If you're planning on actually driving the car, who cares. They'll last forever if driven. Good luck!

12. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    25k miles ... I would not pay more than $110k for it.

13. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Then I suspect you wouldn't be buying it then :)

14. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    should command at least 120. 110 only if salvaged.

15. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    In SoCal I'd be surprised if if went for much less than $130k, it was 70 degrees in San Fran today, nicer down there :)

16. PerthBloke

PerthBloke Rookie

Jun 10, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Same as mine, can't see if it's Rosso Corsa or Scuderia from the pics, min is scuderia, my inserts a re slightly different colour too, looks nice, here is Australia they are 70% more expensive .. Maybe don't get too hung up on the clutch wear its seldom as indicated.

17. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks again for all he input, Carfax is clean-there is a link on the dealer's website which also shows service history. He is going to email me all service history- car had all service done at Newport Beach Ferrari. He suggested it could go back to NB for PPI, or he suggested a local guy. I am inclined to find my own "local guy" for PPI or get it back to the dealer. Will keep you posted.

18. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Test drove my first F430 yesterday and I still have a smile on my face! The car is so raw compared to most P cars, and with the V8 screaming behind you, I could car less about the crappy sound system. (the sales guy apologized for the poor sound quality-I just laughed and told him the music was already playing)
    Im looking at a few Red/Biege cars as I like that combination. However I really prefer the black carpet in these cars. Has anyone changed out the interior carpet, are kits available, cost?

19. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I think that is a fair starting offer for a red/tan 430 with those options. It's a 2008 as well!
    Anything you can get off the asking price would be a bonus!

20. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    You never know .. I would always start our low plus the car isn't in a great shape .. 25k miles .. soon it will be 30k .. that's a big number when it comes to re-sale ..

Fair price - $115-120k .. Start out at $110k :)

21. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    With respect admitting a fair price is $115-120k is different than "I wouldn't pay more than $110k for it" :)

Cali is a non-seasonal market, I doubt it will go for less than $120k, particularly if the dealer is willing to wait a bit.

22. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    25k or 30k is low miles for cars approaching 10 years old. It's only 2-3k miles per year and the cars in better shape when they have some honest miles on them. It's the rediculous thinking of what's high miles that is so convoluted in the Ferrari enthusiast community shared majority mindset. That's got to change it's unhealthy for the cars, the buyers, and those folks that meticulously care for their cars but enjoy driving them, because that's a big part of the pleasure of ownership.

23. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Couldn't agree more :)

24. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Many 430 choices out there with different Color combo ; I would never think about changing the carpet ..... just be patience and searching for the color 100% fit your personal taste - good luck in searching.

25. scottfisher7

scottfisher7 Rookie

Dec 4, 2011
    Napa, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks again guys for all the input and advise! Regarding the 25k car, I called the service department that took car of the car and had a very honest discussion about the car. He said it was well cared for but offered a warning about the F430 F1 with this many miles. He said the clutch will go @ 80% wear(this one has 52% wear) and you could expect to have tranny problems between 25-50K and to budget for that. From his experience, actuators will go and there is always the chance it may need a whole tranny(I thought he said $30k). I have looked on this forum and researched actuator rebuild and replacement. Can you comment on the cost of such repairs and has anyone had to replace the whole tranny?