Anyone know this 430 Scud? | FerrariChat

Anyone know this 430 Scud?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bwclark, Jan 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bwclark

Bwclark Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Barry clark
    #1 Bwclark, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
    Hi all,

In the process of buying my first Ferrari, and intrigued by this car. Before I contact them for a PPI, anyone know anything in particular about this car? I see the repossession on the CarFax, but of course i know lots of you are more familiar with these cars and might know more. I am trying to also decide if the repossession in and of itself makes this a no-go. Im not sure how I feel about it, but its seems like if its accounted for in a reduced price, it may not be an automatic disqualifier.

Ferrari 430 Scuderia | eBay

Also, any recommendations for a PPI in New Jersey?

Thanks!

2. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
  3. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Low priced scud again. This has red flags all over. This will more than likely not end well.

4. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Missing Ferrari emblem on the intake manifold, could cost $18K ;)

5. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
  6. Orangespyder

Orangespyder Rookie

Nov 11, 2012
    Car is in rough shape. Missing hardware in the engine bay. Rust on the exhaust and underneath the car. Tires are worn out.

7. Bwclark

Bwclark Rookie

Oct 5, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Barry clark
    Wow, amazing what you don't see when your eyes are big. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have to keep looking elsewhere.

8. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ Bwclark...I think your strategy of continuing your search will serve you well. There is a chance this car could have been everything you wanted BUT it's a gamble, and the link to the other thread shows a nightmare as it unfolds and consumes the buyer, each instance engulfed in another horrific discovery. Choose wisely my friend, cheapest is not always best in the long run.

9. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Anyone look at this?

10. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    I see the tires but where do you see rust?

11. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I have not seen the pics that show these details. I would question what rust underneath the car and rust on the exhaust. The exhaust uses stainless components, and could be oxidized, but doubt it is rust. Same for underneath the car. The full bottom belly pans prevent viewing most of the underneath, and the remainder is mostly aluminum or magnesium alloys and so no "rust" per se.

Tires wear out. That doesn't mean the car is in rough shape. I would agree that the car should have a fresh set of tires prior to selling. It just looks bad to potential buyer.

Missing hardware in engine compartment? If referring to a missing intake plenum emblem, this is a cosmetic detail and not a functional hardware issue. It is very common for these emblems to come loose, usually in the passenger side. The vibrations and harmonics from the flat plane V8 probably contribute. Most likely, the emblem is sitting in the engine bay somewhere, and can be reattached. If not, the emblem can be sourced and installed for under $200.00. The carbon fiber intake does not need to be replaced as suggested at a cost over $20K.

Thoroughly researching the vehicle, history, service history, prior ownership, and getting a PPI from a person you trust are the most important things.

12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Always go see the car before you buy and thoroughly do your research! If it seams to good to be true it usually is!!!!

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Lol at the aftermarket lighter cap!

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Curious - don't see the engine bay shots or "rust" shots others point out.

Maybe it is simply priced to sell and they killed the guy on the trade? Get a PPI and be sure...

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    love the color

16. chinaman247

chinaman247 Rookie

Apr 11, 2013
    this car has been sitting for awhile... I remember when they first listed it had a picture of the engine bay and you can see the faded CF :(

17. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Where can you get the plenum emblem for $200?

18. AciDShOrT

AciDShOrT Formula Junior
    Owner

Oct 1, 2013
    Saint Louis, MO
    I know of an amazing scud for sale.

19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Can be redone by Mc Carbon for about 5 - $6,000
    They redid mine and had thermal backing put on the panels

20. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Is it just me or the positive camber on the front tires is way off?

21. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    I think he means the emblem which sits on top of the plenum on the Scud and is affixed on the cf rather than the red F430 plenum which the emblem is part of the plenum itself

22. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Yes, but where can you buy that plenum Ferrari badge for $200?
    For sure I can't find it at Ricambi.

23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It happened on my scud. While I was washing it I realized that the badge was loose and ready to come off. I epoxy clued it on with no issues since then. From my experience, a lot of engine components, cosmetic and non cosmetic come loose. There is a lot of vibration in the engine compartment and thats the biggest reason. I even had the screws that hold the CF filter covers come loose over time.
    Like someone else said, most likely the badge is resting on the belly pan or on the diffuser of the car.

24. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    The scud cf manifolds are awesome most everyone loves them for sure, lightweight and sexy piece of carbon delight but I wish the emblems would stay affixed. The one thing I like about the F430 manifolds is their red color and the way the emblems are part of the original casing and left w the metal itself in bright bold metallic contrast to the red.

25. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1 As weird as it sounds, I loved the red manifolds on my F430. On the other hand I think it would look weird to have them red on the scuderia with all the CF in the engine bay.