Need Help - Ferrari 360 belt service | FerrariChat

Need Help - Ferrari 360 belt service

Discussion in '360/430' started by F430 2907, Jan 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430 2907

F430 2907 Rookie

May 18, 2014
    What is the cost for a belt change? Ferrari dealership quoting 3800, special winter price?

Is it safe to go to a non ferrari dealer (authorized to work on Ferrari's) and has 15 years of experience

Do you change belts every 2 years or is this not necessary? I will average 2K per year.

Thank you for any help you can provide

2. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Where are you located

3. goachild2000

goachild2000 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Shardul Mehta
    Yes a indy who has experience can do the job. expect to pay 2k

4. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    I paid 1500

5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    At fiorano motor that was 2 years ago a asume now is like 2000 i think

6. Deiger

Deiger Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    Would be best to get a full list on what they are including for that price. For example, belts, tensioners, water pump, fluids, etc.

As far as time, I am sticking with the 3 year recommendation in the manual.

Good luck!

Deiger

7. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am doing every 5 years at least that's the plan.

8. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Prices may vary on location... Where are you located? There is a great indy shop in Gaithersburg, MD and another near Orlando, FL.

I am looking at 5 yr/30 k miles. Will most likely do the job myself when due.

Good Luck!!!!

9. F430 2907

F430 2907 Rookie

May 18, 2014
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Located in Chicago suburbs....

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

On the 360, items which can dramatically affect the cost of the belt service are:

1) Are the tensioners (not the bearings) in good shape? Does the LH bracket need to be updated?

2) Are cam seals going to be done at the same time?

3) What is the state of the oil/water cooler? Will all fluids be flushed during the service?

11. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Second what Ricambi said. A 'belt service' can vary wildly depending on what they are actually doing. A service might include new tensioners and cam seals while the belt is off, or it might just be a slapping a new belt on. The service might include all fluid changes, or it might just be slapping a new belt on.

Either way, I would recommend that they actually are going to check the timing and degree the cams and not just take the belt off and put a new one on.

Also, changing the belt every 3-5 years is the norm, not every 2.

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Daniel
    What is the LH bracket update?
    Alan

Don't forget that the other belts will be replaced at the same time. I asked my service advisor about changing the tensioners and his replay was that it wasn't necessary. I'm not sure I agree with that. Mine is due sometime this year (based on a 3 year interval) but one of my cam seals is weeping so will probably have all four done.
    Alan

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ferrari recommend's 3 years...other shops 5...my belts at 2.5 yrs were discovered to have one belt DANGEROUSLY loose for some reason. Shop felt that something was done wrong by Ferrari Dealer at last belt change. Lucky it was caught....I would recommend at least having the belts checked at 2-3 yrs and annually after until changed. Better than 25 grand to replace the valve system if breakage occurs...

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Something fishy here. Do you have a 360 or F430, since your profile is blank? No belts except auxiliary belts on an F430.

If that $3800 includes an annual fluid and filter service, sounds about right for a 360, especially since it includes changing the aux belts.

15. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    He's just preparing for when he owns a 430 with his screen name. :cool:

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been servicing my own cars from the 308, 348, TR, F40 and CS and the whole 3 year thing is just a way for Ferrari to scare owners and drum up service work.

I've done them at 3, 4, and 5 years and the belts have always been perfect. I replace everything anyway, but most of the time it feels like busy work.

17. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    In addition to a time factor, what is the mileage at which belt is recommended? I tend to drive my 360 a bit. I've put 10k in a year, and that's with it being out of service for 2.5 months.
    Thanks!

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #18 tazandjan, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rick- Ferrari recommendation is 3 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first, for all the cambelt V8s. Many V8 owners use 5 years, but 3 is the official recommendation. It is 5 for the V12s with the latest Kevlar belts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. CCRider66

CCRider66 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Sussex, WI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Do they make Kevlar belts for the 360?

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It isn't the Kevlar that makes a difference on the 360. Very high RMP taxes components and things break (rarely the belts themselves). With a zero clearance motor it gets expensive very quickly when things like the tensioner fail.

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Yup, that extra 1000 rpm to the redline makes a difference between the V12s and the V8s. The latest V8 belts undoubtedly are Kevlar reinforced already.