Exhaust noise level: stock 360 vs 360 with 430 exhaust vs stock 430 | FerrariChat

Exhaust noise level: stock 360 vs 360 with 430 exhaust vs stock 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by KILOCHARLIE, Feb 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    I've had my 360 for over 2.5 years now and have always resisted the temptation to upgrade my stock exhaust as I drive her quite regularly through my local area and didn't want to have anything too loud. I found the stock exhaust with the valves a bit too quiet at idle so always run it with the valve unplugged which has been perfect for me so far. Perfect at idle and linear and loud enough when I put my foot down. The exhaust is original to the car and with 60k on the clock does sound louder than other 360's I heard, maybe due to more insulation being blown out over time, or the baffles going or maybe due to the intake mods I've done such as removing the resonance chamber and fitting better filters.

Due to a new job I'm now using the car far less and now mainly as a weekend toy so wouldn't mind something louder when giving it a thrash. I don't really want it much louder at idle as my neighbours already hate me but have been interested in the idea of fitting a used 430 exhaust with the valves connected as a viable upgrade. I've read this is very similar to the challenge stradale exhaust (aka the 360 racing exhaust factory option) and sounds better on the 360 than a tubi or capristo that are both far out of my budget.

Can anyone tell me how loud such as set up is compared to my current set up? I'm hoping for the same at idle but much louder when the valves open.

Also how does the 430 exhaust on a 360 compare to the noise when fitted as stock to a 430? I've heard 430's before and they are not much louder than my old 360 box with the valves disconnected. Are there differences in the 430 cats or headers that makes the 430 exhaust quieter when fitted to the 430?

Finally does anyone know what the updated ecu's that come with the racing exhaust do? Is it just for US emissions or does it change the timing of the opening and closing of the valves for another reason? I've heard my current ecu's can be flashed instead, but would this mean I couldn't drive tenderly without the valves opening as easy I could do now (when I connect my valves again)

Thanks all

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    A lot of owners are springing for the Ferrari 360 Racing Exhaust. I bought mine from Ferrari of Tampa Bay ... they were selling the entire kit for like $1700 give or take on eBay. The kit included two new ECUs. Aldous has a good write up on the racing exhaust here ... Ferrari 360 Racing Exhaust | Aldous Voice

The 360 Racing Exhaust is the same as the F430 exhaust. So, you could install an F430 exhaust on your 360, but you will have to modify the exhaust tips to fit the 360. Here is some excellent info on how to do that ... Converting a Ferrari F430 Exhaust to fit a 360 | Aldous Voice

You asked about what the updated ECU does ... to the best of my knowledge, all it does is change the threshold when it opens the exhaust bypass valves. With the original 360 muffler, the exhaust bypass valves open around 4000 RPM or so, depending on throttle position. With the new ECUs, that threshold is raised to about 5000 RPM or so. The only reason I can think of is that the racing exhaust is louder than the original and Ferrari is trying to keep the noise level down to meet EU noise abatement requirements.

I have the racing exhaust and tried the new ECUs. I put the old ones back in because I want the lower threshold.

Regards,

Steve

3. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    I cant find the racing exhaust in stock any longer in the US. I have been searching for weeks. If anyone has a lead to someone sitting on some , please let us know. Thanks!

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I bought mine from Ferrari of Tampa Bay. I know others here got theirs from other Ferrari dealers including Ferrari of Denver. I would give those guys a call and see if they have any or know of any around.

Steve

5. KILOCHARLIE

KILOCHARLIE Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2012
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    KC
    Thanks steve, yes I checked out voicey's guide and I'm very keen on the 430 conversion, especially if I can get the brackets fabricated.

Do you know how the sound compares? Especially vs stock 430? I can't see how it can be considerably louder than a 430 when its the same exhaust.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The 360 with the F430 exhaust sounds slightly different than the F430 with the F430 exhaust. I think it has a bit better tone but I cannot quantify it for you. These things are pretty subjective.

I did the F430 exhaust conversion for my 360 a couple of years ago. Anyway, everything was fine, but then the F430 exhaust I had started having exhaust leaks. Tried to fix it by brazing around seams and was able to get it so did not leak, but the brazing looked like bad. Also, the muffler I bought was used and it had couple of dents in it. So, I bought one of the 360 racing exhausts when they were on sale. When it arrived, the mufflers were identical. After installing the new racing exhaust, the sound was identical.

Bottom line, I think it is a bit louder than F430. Maybe because of engine capacity difference, whatever. But it is a bit louder. Don't ask me why.

Regards,

Steve

7. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I will sell my very lightly used system,

$1500

way too loud for a spider

on a coupe about right.

8. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    KiloCharlie -if you're UK based, I have a stock 430 exhaust with only 600 miles on it. PM me if interested

9. Tmo

Tmo Rookie

Sep 25, 2014
    Looking for the sports exhaust myself. Is it still for sale?

10. Tmo

Tmo Rookie

Sep 25, 2014
    Hi sparetireless,
    I'm looking for a 360 racing exhaust. Is it still for sale?

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

I can email you some photos, need your addess

12. Tmo

Tmo Rookie

Sep 25, 2014
    PM sent!

13. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  14. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    it sold

15. 360Marnix

360Marnix Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2017
    Holland

This video is to get you an idea of the sound of the F430 exhaust modification on my 360 modena. I did the F430 exhaust modification 2 weeks before I crashed the car. Video is with cold engine and open valves.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G3121 met Tapatalk