Upgrading the 360 Suspension | FerrariChat

Upgrading the 360 Suspension

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360Tom, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So after doing a few drives recently. I've noticed that the car just doesn't plant quite as fast as I'd like it to going into corners. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad but could use a little more firmness in turns. So I started doing a little research into springs and was tinkering with the idea of setting the car up with Stradale specs.

After reading some of 360Trev's post. It seemed like specking the car out close to a CS might help with the handling a bit. So, I started thinking about trying to find some CS springs.
    As most people who have CS's or are fans of the car know that the springs are titanium and are quite costly. The other option would be going with a company like H&R or Novitec.
    So browsing online one day, I came across Exotic Auto Wreckings' webpage. I saw that the recently had a CS come in and be parted out. So I called them up. I spoke to Ryan about the CS and asked if he had the suspension still off the car. He did :) If you need a used part, chances are this place has a lot of it. Their warehouse had motors and parts everywhere, very neatly organized. It was like being in Toys R Us for the first time as a kid. lol After we came to agreement on terms, I ended up with a full set of suspension off the CS. I was able to pick up the CS Front and Rears Struts as well as the Anti Roll Bar and the CS suspension computer. From my conversations with 360Trev, this makes a huge difference in a normal Modena.

The CS suspension computer just is a straight across swap. As do the shocks. The Anti Roll Bar looks like it might be a little more work to get on. Although I'll just let my mechanic put everything on so that done correctly. As much as I want to tinker with it.

I also got the MAF's off the CS as well. I was told this makes quite a bit of difference too. Though you have have your ECU mapped for the CS to take advantage of that and also not have to have the throttle bodies learn the parameters every time.

I'm going to wait till after this next weekend to start the project. I'll take some pics and update it as I go along.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tom, how many miles are on your car? Are you sure that your sport setting is working and that your car is in spec?

3. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Tom you could have saved some money the cs front shocks are the same as the normal 360 shocks, cheers elt.

4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    elt360, I actually didn't have to pay for the front struts. I'm just swapping mine for the ones already on the springs. We figured it would just be easier to send mine back and just bold on the CS ones as they are now.

Kevin Rev'n, I have 55,000 miles on the car now. The car just was checked out recently when I did my annual. Everything checked out to specs.
    The sport setting definitely works, but driving hard, it still has a little sway in the body and sag in the turns. Not much, but I know having a tad stiffer would help setting the car in the turn. The CS Suspension computer replaces normal with sport and sport now becomes race mode.

I did get an incredibly great deal on the whole setup. It was much less than what you probably would expect to pay for something like this.

I think this might address the slight wiggleness the car gets going into hard, tight turns.

5. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Be sure to go to and perhaps beyond CS spec alignment for sharp handling car. Search for posts by F430GT with the word alignment and you'll get a host of useful info on how to set up your car for road or track use.

The rear anti roll bar is very simple to fit by the way.

Do report back when you're done.

6. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I have mine set up with firmer springs front and rear, but uprated more in the front. That along with an agressive negative camber seems to go a long way for not that much effort.

7. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    The MAFs and throttle bodies are the same as those on the 430. I'll be curious how you hook them up, since the airbox connection won't work... I have a set sitting here too.

8. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No, they will only work with aftermarket carbon air boxes or If you want to pop for it, the factory CS air box lids. It's going in after this coming weekend. I can't wait to get it all set up.

9. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    What aftermarket carbon air boxes have you found to work? The 360 aftermarket carbon boxes I have seen do not have an output that is as large of a diameter and connect via a clamp vs. hex bolts. Would be thrilled if there is another option than the factory cs boxes I haven't been able to (cost) effectively source. 430 carbon boxes fit the footprint, have different fastening bolts to the air intake bottom, but come out at a wonky angle for the 360.

10. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Nice one tom cheers elt360

11. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I found that the Carbon air boxes with the rubber rubber tube slips over the larger CS AFM's
    I originally purchased some R-Tuned ones. But I think I will go with Full Six or Carbonio. R-Tunes look really nice but the the quality of their work compared to Carbonio is a questionable. I can't understand how a company making carbon for supposedly 20 years now, send out stuff with cracks, not fully filling the fiber on the backside, so you can see light through the weave. I also noticed that the R-Tune inlet tubes point upward rather than straight across like the factory ones. This creates a bend in the system vs it just being in a smooth straight line. (Where it meets up with the AFM's) Needless to say I was hugely disappointed. I wrote R-Tuned but they never responded. Neither here or on their website. Carbonio is only a 100 more (R-Tuned $950 vs Carbonio $1050) and the difference is vast. I however have not seen the insides of the boxes on Carbonio. I know Fullsix has a smooth inner side, not like someone dropped glass sheet into resin and it being completely rough and porous. Fullsix, if shopped around might be the best bargin and looks to be the nicest. But once again, I have not had one in my hands. Now this is only from pictures and what I've seen at places like SCS and such. But the Carbonio seems to have a lower profile keeping the same line as the inlets of the motor. This is the same for pictures I've seen of the Fullsix. They are very low profile and in all of the pictures you'll notice the accordion boot is not kinked like that with R-Tuned.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info Tom. I guess you should know your car by now! lol
    I asked because I have a nice little S turn on the way to my office. Strike that, it is a really beautiful piece of road that has a bridge component to it with some surface transitions at the entry which sort of provide a self governing effect but the second part is wide, clean and beautiful. Normally there are a lot of cars around so I just go with the flow ~35 mph. One day a few months ago I was all alone so I decided to push it a little. I heard a little squeal from the inside front tire transitioning to a left turn over the sight rise in the middle of the first half of the S. I couldn't feel any roll in the body, it just felt like you were on plane.

Funny thing about the Ferrari suspension...It gives tremendous feedback.

So in this scenario what would your suspension upgrades offer?

13. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #13 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would caution any use of RT parts. The ones I have had in my hand (engine hatch louvers) were fiberglass with a carbon overlay. This is not worthy for your Ferrari, it is form over function. Well thought out carbon parts are both, and are difficult to make. They are lighter than metal and very strong. I would be concerned to have a matrix-ed part in my car that is subject to heat cycles. Who knows what will happen to them over time? How do you feel about the GruppeM setup? That is a beautiful piece of kit! I should know...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That box is stunning. Quite pricey. But you get what you pay for.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #15 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 24, 2015
    It is very nice. I have the PO to thank! I'll bet the weight savings is substantial too but I dont have any data. This organic carbon fiber box replaces the entire stock assembly. Forgive the text boxes in the pics, they were for another purpose.

16. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That comes with a heat shield too? That is one gorgeous piece of carbon. Do you mind me asking the price range it was in? And did you notice an improvement over the stock set up?

17. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tom, It came installed on my car when I purchased it so I don't have the reference points. I thought they were about 3500 but I am not sure. It does come with a heat shield.

18. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    hmm something doesn't compute for me.... So the output of the carbon box is more than an I.D. of ~86mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #19 Ingpr, Feb 25, 2015
  20. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is awesome. What side drip panels do you have?

21. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #21 Ingpr, Feb 26, 2015
  22. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Whoa. Who makes the carbon heat shields on the sides?

23. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #23 Kevin Rev'n, Feb 26, 2015
  24. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So I finally got some time to start tinkering with my suspension. This is all pretty new to me so it's been taking me quite longer to do most of the jobs due to the slight learning curve.
    I started with the front shocks. I was tacking this task after work, so I only planned to get through the fronts. I think the easiest part of the whole job was removing my center locks.
    The top two 17mm bolts come off very easy. As does loosening the bottom 19mm nut. There is a 10mm bolt holding the electrical connector housing that is easy too. However, the 17mm nut in front of the 19mm nut on the bottom assembly posed to be a problem. There is very limited room trying to get wrenches in there. After a first attempt with some force to break the bond between the two, my wrench came off the nut, dragging the corner of my wrist across the brake rotor. After that little lesson, I tried spanner wrenches and various open ends hoping to break the bond. Finally after pushing the lower shock bolt out more and using my foot on one wrench, the bond broke.
    At that point I put a little bottle jack under the arm to support it and use it for raising and lowering the arm so I could align the bolt when putting in the new shock.
    So pulling out the shock is very easy out the top of the arm. I immediately noticed how much heavier it is than the CS shocks I'm replacing them with. They feel at least double the weight. If my digital parts scale wasn't missing, I would have weighed them.
    Being the fronts are exactly the same shock body, they go right in with no problems.
    Getting the drop link back on is pretty easy with the jack under the arm adjusting the level so it's alight with the drop link bolt. It seems like it took me forever to do. But I was being extra anal and making sure everything was torqued to factory specs.

Tonight hopefully, I'll attempt the rear shocks and anti roll bar. I'll upload some pics later this evening.

25. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well,
    Last night I put the rear CS set of shocks and CS rear anti roll bar on. It was much easier than the front. Just a side not to anyone wanting to replace their rear anti roll. If you loosen the 2 back lower suspension arm bolts located in the diffuser area. It allows you to lift the arm high enough to pull out he roll bar with out having to drop the under panel.

The computer goes in today at some point. My TCU is heading out today to ERIC, can't wait to get that back too.