Do tensioners really need replacing? | FerrariChat

Do tensioners really need replacing?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 993man, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My car is due for a major 30K (Kms) service and I am told I should do the tensioners.
    Is that normal?
    They are not cheap, but then again I have read what happens, or can happen if one ****s itself.
    Thanks

2. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Tensionners or tensionner bearings?

3. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Tensioners

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Graham- There is no 30,000 km cambelt change interval. The recommended interval is 3 years or 50,000 kms, although many owners use 5 years. Your techs are talking about the tensioner pulleys/ bearings, not the tensioners.

Tensioner bearings are good insurance, especially if you go longer than 3 years.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #5 Rifledriver, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    May not be. Many shops do sell tensioners too. Also there have been several generations of 5-8 tensioners so replacement is not unjustified even if one has not yet failed which they also occasionally do.

Without a lot more information no one of us can say if it is not advisable to replace them. Historically they have been failure prone.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Good to know, thanks.

7. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I had a call from them telling me the tensioners were actually replaced 3 years ago.
    So we aren't doing them. They even said they won't do the belts if they look ok either, but I might get them done anyway.
    I'm not complaining.

8. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have had my belts and tensions for 5 years. They're great. But I do run mine every 7 days.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You need a new mechanic. A visual inspection of a belt is a worthless enterprise and they should know that.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Replace. You can't "see" rubber degradation.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    How do you know "They're great."? Unfortunately, failure doesn't usually happen slowly. It fails and you go rebuild the motor.

I am not saying 5 years isn't a reasonable time. I am saying that the recommended is 3 years and you can't tell if they are having an issue or not.

12. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I agree with this. I follow very close to 3 years with my car. Under my ownership, I've only done it once, but it was at the 3 year mark, or very very close to that according to my PO's records.

13. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Yep, I may be crazy but if they are in that far I would put the latest tensioners on also, too much riding on a failure.... but that's me.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The most expensive Ferrari is a cheap Ferrari. The corollary is that the most expensive Ferrari is one that's been maintained "cheap." Savvy buyers know this.

You can ignore the maintenance intervals and you might get away with it (your engine might not blow up). But when you try to sell your car, and the records show it wasn't properly maintained, it will likely take a long time to sell it, or you have to accept a steep discount.

15. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I am getting the belts done, but it seems a waste of money to put in new tensioners after what equates to 4000 miles. I understand the tensioners they used last time were the latest.

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    They should be checking the tensioners when the belts are changed. Go with that Graham. But as Brian said checking belts is a waste of time. I have changed timing belts after 150k miles and they looked brand new. (not on my Ferrari)

17. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hahahaha, as if a Ferrari could do 150K miles! Over 200K Kms.

You mean a Porsche ay!

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Contrary to popular belief, a Ferrari will go 150,000+ miles without much more than routine maintenance.

As far as the tensioners...... they are a few hundred bucks. Why on earth would you NOT replace them, since you are in there anyway? I just did my belts a few months ago, and as good as the belts and tensioners looked, a fresh set of everything installed correctly is just too cheap not to do.

19. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Due to the high heat temperatures in the engine bay the belts start to break down over time, you can tell by scratching with your nail of a knife on the cam belt tooth if it starts to break off they are ready for a change. I did my road 360 at 3years and they were ready for it.

20. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Wow. That's a crazy thing to "eyeball".

22. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I second that. My weeping cam seals lead to new belts, tensioners, tensioner bearings (HE) even though there's only 4K miles and 2 years on the last belt change.

23. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Agree completely..

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And what happens when they do fail?

They have 2 failure modes. Do you know what they are?

25. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Would assume that the belts lose tension and can skip time, leading to valve/piston contact in an interference type engine, but I would love to hear an expert's thoughts, i'm here to learn Brian!