tall creaper | FerrariChat

tall creaper

Discussion in '360/430' started by jackgt, Mar 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I have been working on my 360 and it is a lot harder to lean over the fender now vs 30 years ago! I have seen tall devices to lean over the car so you can work and not get stressed. I have some ideas, anyone ever made one or buy one?

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Traxion overhead creepers at Summit Racing are pretty good. Looks like free shipping right now. Check the height; they may not go low enough for a 360.

"Overhead creeper" and "topside creeper" are the key words to search.

3. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Thanks Mule. I have some aluminum channel left over from another project and I will make one, the pics helped. It would help a lot to pull off a valve cover.

4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I have a lifted truck, and reaching back to the firewall is tough. I can't even take off the air cleaner without a step ladder. In my 328, it's not the height, but the reach, like you were saying. An overhead creeper paired with a rolling short seat covers high and low without bending.

Please post some pictures if you make one.

But I want this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6z5BW_meE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

5. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I will not make it for a few months, but will post the result----

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #6 Kevin Rev'n, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OMG I had no idea that product existed! Working on my car or detailing the engine is like this strange contortion as I try to not touch the black paint! I will grab one of these soon and save the aching knee caps!!!

Are these nice and sturdy? Any pro tips on selecting the right one for a 360/430? Looks great for working from the rear but what about from the side?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Kevin, measure the height you think you will need and see if they are actually short enough on the lowest setting. Most of them are pretty tall for trucks, and only adjust so low. Also, make sure the bottom part can slide under the car. Sometimes the base of the creeper is pretty tall by itself with the casters and framework.

8. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It looks like the triangle thing could be made to go in further and down. I would test it first to make sure it doesn't collapse on you. On my home made creeper, not going to put it on wheels and I am going to make the platform longer to fit all the way into the eng compartment. It will be so comfortable that I may fall asleep on it. I had a laminectomy 2 months ago, still have to take care of my back!!!