Looking for 3 pedal F430 Coupe | FerrariChat

Looking for 3 pedal F430 Coupe

Discussion in '360/430' started by MichaelM, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Rookie

Jun 30, 2010
    #1 MichaelM, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    Hi Guys,

I'm searching for a F430 3 pedal Coupe (will be my first Ferrari). My main choices in color would be Black/Black (One for sale right now but he wants too much money), Grey/Black, Grey/Cinnamon (whatever that color is called), or Silver/Black. There are a few Red/Tan coupes for sale right now, and it's not out of the question, but not my first choice. I don't care about year as from my understanding the only real difference is that 2007 and up came stock with CCB's and the updated header issue. I'm pretty comfortable with any amount of mileage up to about 15-20K as long as properly cared for. Anyhow, if anyone has any leads, please let me know, thanks.

Michael

2. SAVANTAUTO

SAVANTAUTO Karting

Nov 5, 2010
    Good luck with your search. Would you mind sharing how much is too much for the asking price on the car you found?

3. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    GLW Search. Took 9 months for me to find one that met my criteria and it turns out it had a broken oil pump, taillights, and exhaust brackets. Make sure you budget a bit for maintenance unless it was just serviced (and know that servicing isn't perfect).

4. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I was in the same exact boat as you. As you know, they are really difficult to locate. Over the course of about 3 months I found exactly one car that fit my needs. The seller (rightfully) had a large premium on the car compared with a similar F1. I ultimately ended up picking up an F1 car that was local to me. While I still think I would have preferred the 6-speed, I am enjoying the F1 much more than I had initially anticipated.

Good luck with your search!

5. M360Dom

M360Dom Karting

Jul 21, 2009
    New York
    Only took me a few years to find my black on black MT car. How much of a premium are you guys seeing ?

6. tomdeg

tomdeg Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    They are out there, be patient. I was very lucky to find a Black on Black gated 6 speed about 5 weeks ago. Wait for the MT 6, it's totally worth it.

7. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    These are very rare cars I posted the following on another similar thread based on my personal experience when finding my gated black on black F430 w desired rare options including yellow stitching, yellow carbon big brakes, ultra hard to find racing cf seats - I waited a while and picked this unicorn over the used 458 and scud I was originally going after.

So my advice when looking for rare 3 pedal F430. (1) expect to pay a premium and moreso as time passes (2) don't over negotiate or try low balling ... Someone's going to buy the car regardless and most sellers and dealers know this. (3) act fast. These rare birds won't sit for long (4) get the options package that you want just becuase its gated dont disregard your other desires if that means Daytona seats or deviated stitching or whatever so be it. (5) realize that Berlinettas in gated F430 trim are far less common than their gated spider counterparts, so if you want a soft top you have a little more chance. (6) don't be a mileage mongrel w these gated cars. Some have low miles but others have higher miles, why ... Becuase they're gated for heaven's sake people love driving them! Get records and service history and take comfort in knowing high or low miles your getting one of the rare and desirable F430 variants that will go up in value as years go by and will increasingly be harder to find with each passing day. Less and less out there that are available on market or in private collections.

Lastly and this one irks me... double check pictures to make sure you're looking at a TRUE 3 pedal gated car, lots of dealers and online sellers say manual or 6 speed and the car is an F1 which technically it is BUT its not a 3 pedal gated. Always ask to see picutres.

Just some lessons learned from my patient searching process.

8. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I loved my MT 6 speed ... It was also I first Ferrari... Probl free and def worth the wait!

9. George in NH

George in NH Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2013
    It took me about 6 months to find my car. Or should I say...for my car to find me. I started a thread just like this one, and someone contacted me to see if I was interested in his car. It wasn't even on the market yet. So my advice to you is to keep this thread alive and hopefully someone will contact you!

And Sunir is exactly right...I can't tell you how many hours I wasted checking out ads that said manual or 6 speed, only to find out that it was an F1 gearbox. Soooo frustrating!

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Be patient. You will find the right one. Would you consider a spider?

11. jakeg104

jakeg104 Karting

Jan 8, 2014
    TX
    Full Name:
    Jake G

Sage advise. I've been on the hunt for the unicorn and all you say holds true.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The OP's very detailed wish list makes me think that your mention here is well placed.

How many are on the market right now? 2?

My advice would be to buy the first one that comes up for sale. If you are a car enthusiast you will be so caught up in the capabilities of the platform that all else will become secondary considerations. This was true for me at least.

13. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    wait and the right one will come for sale,when it does jump on it,i wanted yellow with racing seats and f1 only and when it appreaed bought right away.

14. bobster_rulez

bobster_rulez Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    Took me over 2 years but I wanted all the options, well worth the wait, just remember the journey is worth it!

15. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I feel so fortunate I literally walked into my Nero on Nero gated 6 speed. Love the gated shifter. Driven an F1 and to be honest, unless you are full boring it on a racetrack, it is quite boring. Nothing like listening to a properly driven 3rd pedal car.

16. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    How did you literally walk into your 3 pedal car? Tell us the story and share some pics :) I agree w your sentiment of a proper left foot clutch operated stick shift. I enjoy that and prefer it on each of my cars. I will say that the sequential manual gearbox on a CS and Enzo are unique though becuase they do NOT have an Auto mode, I like that... Don't think an auto mode really is appealing on those cars.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'll tell the story, he walked into it because I was still preoccupied with the "idea" of getting a Ferrari instead of actually getting one and starting the relationship! At least he left me the older sister to his car...Nero/Nero Gated 360 Modena! Turns out I was 6 months late to the dance but the older sister was just what this sailor needed! Still gets better and better every single time I drive her, two years and 5k miles later!!!

18. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
  19. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I lucked out. I started with the assumption I would look for up to two years. One showed up at a dealer 5 miles from my house, pristine condition and largely what I wanted (seats are manual and no bAck up sensors). Other than that, car was bang on. Hit it quickly. It is in my garage. Every time I go to the dealer he tells me he would be happy to buy it back as several people came through looking for it after I purchased it (or should I say my wife purchased it but that is a long story). With that said, I have not seen an acceptable one for sale since then (9 months ago)

20. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Can't stress enough when u find one of these you need to move quick! They are truly unicorns especially the Berlinettas! Sometimes I look at mine chillin in the garage and am glad I acted fast! Deposit on Amex even before having it checked out. I was lucky enough to deal w CNC who has premium level cars!

21. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    #21 808Forza, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sunir, Kevin kills me! He is right however. I happened to be at the local Ferrari dealer looking at a totally different car, Dodge Viper actually, and I was extremely disappointed with it. As I'm walking through the showroom, my salesman happened to notice me fancying the Nero 430. Asks me if I've ever driven a Ferrari to which I replied no and then offered me to drive it... worse thing ever! I was hooked from the moment I sat behind the wheel. Being a Ducati enthusiast I could appreciate this magnificent piece of machinery. It's a Ducati on 4 wheels! Razor sharp handling and extremely responsive, rev happy naturally aspirated engine.
    It's been 2 years, about 5k miles of driving, headers, race exhaust, custom forged billet wheels and almost done installing carbon fiber bits here and there... in love with her just as much as the first day I drove her home. So there, I literally walked into her, found out how rare she is and how fortunate I was to be there after freshly being traded in ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Man what a great story! You did just stumble upon a winner, it then again I'm biased towards the Nero on Connelly black hides... Do you have deviated Giallo stitching too

What kinda wheels are those? BBS FI ?

23. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    I want to thank you for this positive and exciting story. Your experience further amplifies my own. Love the 430.

24. MichaelM

MichaelM Rookie

Jun 30, 2010
    Thanks for all the input guys, so I wanted to give a quick update. I test drove an F1 430 this weekend, and honestly, it just didn't move me the way my GT3 does. I really did not like how the F1 shifted, and it was quite boring (sorry all those F1 lovers). I'm sure I would have liked a manual better, but once I got back into my GT3, all felt right again as it really is the best drivers car I have ever driven. There's just so much feedback and everything just feels so crisp. I guess I just needed to see what was out there to appreciate what I have. I think the only "upgrade" I would consider at this point would be to step up to a 7.2 RS (or maybe even a Ford GT), but with the market where it's at, I just can't justify spending the extreme jump in price. On a positive for the F430, it is an absolutely gorgeous car, and the sound of the motor was music to my ears. When 458 prices come down, maybe i'll give that one another chance. Cheers.

25. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Sounds like you made the right choice for yourself... Enjoy in good health.