Wheel crud | FerrariChat

Wheel crud

Discussion in '360/430' started by wgarber42, Mar 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wgarber42

wgarber42 Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill Garber
    #1 wgarber42, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #2 Kevin Rev'n, Mar 5, 2015
    Looks like it is coming from under. 3000 grit wet/dry paper might clean it up but then I am not sure if there is a clear coat on that outer ring. Did you try any products like CLR or WD40 with a terry rag?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wgarber42

wgarber42 Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill Garber
    Kevin -- I tried some light rubbing compound but it didn't seem to do any good. I'll try what you suggested. Thanks --

4. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    You need pure acid to clean it.

5. wgarber42

wgarber42 Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill Garber
    Tried both CLR and rubbing compound. No luck. Ferrame--do you have direct experience with acid? Any tips?

6. hairman

hairman Karting

Nov 25, 2013
    south jersey
    Full Name:
    Dino
    just rub wd 40 and it will hide it. the clear coat is cracked and the real perfection way is strip and refinish. not worth it in my opinion . try wd

7. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Your wheel has a diamond cut rim that is clear coated. Water has got under the clear coat of the rim and corroded the aluminium alloy underneath. To repair this you need to have the wheel disassembled and then have the rim diamond cut again and re-coated with clear.

8. wgarber42

wgarber42 Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill Garber
    Thanks for the input!

9. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Your wheel looks like a 2 piece model from what I can tell.If you can feel bolts behind the spokes then it will confirm this. I doubt it is a 3 piece unless it's a full aftermarket wheel like from adv1 or HRE.

Anyways no compound or liquid is going to fix/hide that.You have cracked clear coat and it's common on older wheels mainly. The correct way to fix it take the wheel apart,strip clear off and reclear. I can't tell if the lip is "machined finish" or not under the clear.Kinda looks more like brushed finish to me,most people won't know difference.I would need a better pic to tell you.That will add another step to the refinish of these if so.

So basically,

-take wheel apart
    -strip clear
    -rebrush lips since the chemical that strips the clear will dull it out as well
    -if lips are machined finish aka diamond cut this step will get expensive
    -finish surface prep
    -clear coat, highly suggest powder coat clear not liquid paint.
    -reassemble and you're good to go

If you have better pics I can be of more help.I can also tell you how much to expect to pay at your local shop.

10. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10 Alleykat, Mar 8, 2015