Engine light came on... | FerrariChat

Engine light came on...

Discussion in '360/430' started by viperboy, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a 2005 360 Spider that I bought a month ago. It has 38,000 miles and has been well maintained. The engine light just randomly popped up on the dash (solid). I have of course restarted the car and it is still there. There is no strange sounds or anything weird going on. Has anyone had experience with this or know what it could be or how to DIY it. any help is appreciated!

- Joe

2. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Try plugging in a OBD reader and see what codes it gives you.

3. humriv

humriv Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Desert Hills AZ
    Did you put fuel in it recently? If you did and didn't tighten the cap firmly it will give you the light... Ask me how I know :)

+1 for the OBD reader.

Rubby likes this.
  4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Welcome to Ferrari ownership. It is a right of passage that you must deal with a CEL pretty much as soon as you take possession of the car. If you are lucky, it's nothing like the gas cap. If you are unlucky, you need new catalytic converters. It's a roll of the dice, good luck! :)

5. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yep welcome to the exotic car ownership hahahaha.
    Most get a CEL at some point but the best thing to do is NOT to panic for a start!
    You need to get a scanner and plug it in (or get someone else too) and see what the codes reads.
    Post the code here and you'll get bombarded with info.

Who would have thought the petrol cap not screwed tight enough can cause this, but it can.

In the front hood, on the LHS there is a knob. Turn it and leave it off for about 10 minutes. This shuts the system down, kind of like a PC reboot. It solves things all the time.
    You will need the stereo code as well when you get up and running again.

Try this first and see how it goes.

6. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I will get a code if I don't get gas or tighten my gas cap every three weeks or so.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Take it to Pepboys, autozone or equivalent. They have OBD2 scanner, plug it into port below the dash on left of steering wheel. Get the code and post it here.

Likely something stooped simple.

8. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Mine came on after my 3rd or 4th drive. Replaced 2 O2 sensors. Then came on again a month later for the same sensor. Replaced it again and haven't heard from it since. Like others have said not a huge deal but really annoying.

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My "slow down" light came on only once....on the way to propose to my present wife....always a good joke that the car was trying to warn me...hasn't come on since...

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  10. humriv

humriv Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Desert Hills AZ
    LMAO

11. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Do not let it go- find out what it is! Could be anything from a fuel cap to simple sensor to MAF or a header pre-cat about to let go- catch that last one soon enough and save yourself thousands on a new downstream cat (I know this from experience). Could be anything...but I wouldn't ignore it like I might on some other cars.

12. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Could be that my slow down light was that exactly...drove it another 5k miles but at the clutch replacement we found all kinds of debris from the right side pre-cat in the screen of the main cat...dodged that bullet...

13. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    First off, I really appreciate all the great feed back and responses. And to BrettC....hows the marriage going? lol I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Ok, I tried unscrewing and screwing back the gas cap first. That did not work.
    Then I tried doing the "reboot" that 993Man recommended, since I don't have an OBD reader on hand. When I rebooted and turned the engine back on, the engine light was still on, but when off within 30 or 40 seconds. So.....IT WORKED! And I am a very happy man right now! Business hasn't been the best this past month. Wasn't looking forward to a service stop if you know what I mean. Thanks y'all very much for the input!

14. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I hope it stays off for you! It could have been a weird mis-fire or sketchy ground (I recall my mechanic checking all grounds one time). Unfortunately it could come back on though- mine went off then came back on and we kept getting fuel trim errors of some sort...I don't remember if the weird fuel trim faults (as read by the OBD plug/my mechanics's Ferrari SD computer) was when the MAF went bad (and then the other MAF a year or so later) or related to when I had the pre-cat issue. If it comes on again, get the codes checked as it can be so many things!

Good luck with it and in the meantime continue to enjoy the car! Worst case it's something that needs to be fixed and then you have to move on (as difficult as that is with some of the invoices :) )
    -Andrew

15. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Generally a bad idea to do a reset to get the light to turn off. Most of the time you have not fixed anything, just hidden it from sight (the old, outta sight outta mind fix). Get an OBDII reader and check the error so you know what actually caused it to go off. Otherwise you could have turned what could have been a minor repair into a big one down the road.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    As everyone have recommended, get an OBD2 reader. There's quite a few thread here on which ones to use.

As everyone have also already mentioned, it could be a loose gas cap, O2 sensors or dirty / bad MAF's. My CEL also comes on once in a while. Then it goes away on its own after a while.

I cleaned my MAF's and the CEL went away. I determined my MAF's were not really bad. The thermistors got dirty so when I cleaned my MAF sensors with MAF cleaners the CEL fault code went away.

17. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks guys. I will definitely get the reader and see what it says. Where should I post codes to on the forum?

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #18 whatheheck, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you for the codes!

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Joe- If you go to ferraridatabase.com, you can find all kinds of tech data for your 360, including owners manuals, the terrible workshop manuals, and the P-Codes just posted.

21. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Well remember when I said my CEL wasn't a big deal earlier in this post. Well approx 100mi after getting my tranny fixed my Italian biatch decided to stall in stop and go traffic in the middle of the freeway (embarrassing). I got it started but quickly found out she wouldn't idle without constant pedal. I got it to the shop barely and codes show left O2 sensor again. Apparently there's two (01). One is new which made the CEL go out on replacement. They swapped the other left one with a good one and they say the car runs perfect again. Upon hearing this I said to replace all of them. Also they claim MAFs fuel pumps etc are fine. This car has had a CEL light off and on most of the time I've had but always ran fine. I guess my questions are can a bad O2 sensor really cause the car to stall because frankly it ran fine even with CEL lights on. Also in the midst of removing and reinstalling the tranny what could have been loosened, nicked, missed etc that would cause the stalling and CEL codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

If the car gets really confused about how rich/lean it is running, then yes, it can run horrible like you describe. The O2 sensor is supposed to help it adjust timing to get detonation right so that it's burning the gas correctly.

I'd be curious why you are getting fouled up sensors so easily. Are they melting? Damaged? Dirty in some way? Or do they look totally fine?

23. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I suspect the reset will hide the code for the next 15 - 20 min of (continuous) driving :(

Hope I'm wrong...as you're just about coming up on the time the roll over valves start effing up...

Jeez, I hope not....

24. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Rollover valves, rollover valves?? Geez what next lol. You can see I haven't had a Ferrari for long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Roll over valves and Fuel Pumps are known to go bad and starts leaking as the car ages. Plastic parts.......

Mine was replaced by the dealer at around 12K miles, when my car was 10 years old.

Dan