Scud - price vs mileage | FerrariChat

Scud - price vs mileage

Discussion in '360/430' started by funkstar, Mar 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    #1 funkstar, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    We all know that mileage is key to a super desirable Ferrari, and equally that mileage matters less if you plan to keep the car for donkeys years so long as the correct paperwork etc is in place.

However, I have been offered a decent Scud with a good spec for USD$130,000, the downside being it is a 25,000 miler.

How does this play out vs the market and the fact I would only keep the car for one year (the wife's stipulation)? Would shifting it in a years time with that mileage be difficult?

2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Very difficult .... Ferraries are very difficult to repair and maintain... Parrot Red spends of and labor is expensive! 25,000 miles on a track oriented car is too big of a risk for most people... I would rather spend more money and get a better car!!!

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It all depends. I think that you have to do a thorough PPI. Check the condition of the CC breaks, clutch reading etc.

4. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    Spec is:

November 2008 registration
    Rosso Corsa
    Grey racing stripes
    Grey finish to alloys
    4-point harness in red
    Red Calipers
    Steering wheel rev lights
    Alcantara interior
    Door sills and wheel arch also alcantara
    Extinguisher
    Carbon door
    Carbon kick plates
    Scuderia shields
    Ferrari dealer service every 12 months
    Last service on December 2014
    Rotor wear 46%
    Clutch wear 15%

5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    You should be fine for long as nothing breaks... But personally I would never buy a Ferrari with 25,000 miles on it.

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    You should be ok. At $130k there is limited monetary downside risk in my opinion.

25k miles on a 7 year old car is ~3600 a year....300 a month. That to me is pretty low.

I know that Ferrari comes with the "high mileage means worthless/going to break soon" mindset. It's too bad that's the case because this Scud probably runs better than others with a fraction of the mileage.

It will be harder to sell, but thats about it.

7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    All of my High end sports cars have been low mileage and have had Zero issues! It just makes sense that a car that has been used less but properly maintained is still like a new car. Pe really I would not spend 6 figures on a car to feel like I am driving a used car! It has to feel drive look and smell like new!!!

8. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    I know what you're saying and I understand completely, but examples vary. This 25k mile Scud may smell and look like new. I have personally seen some very rough examples that had less than 5k miles on the clock.

OP: My take is that condition and service history matter more than miles.

9. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm thinking that if I can acquire this car with all the bells and whistles, every piece of paperwork, and at somewhere between $125k to $130k it will give me a great chance to run it for a year and achieve a sale with zero depreciation.

10. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I would have bought that thing in a heartbeat and drove it for years.

11. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Yep, or damn near close to zero.

Buy it, drive it, enjoy it.

12. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Unfortunately whether you agree with the folks who like to just stare at their precious cars and watch the odometer click by click as they take their weekly trip to the nearest coffee shop or not, they define the market.

So yes, it will be difficult to move when you come to sell it. If you buy it at a bargain price, it's highly likely you'll have to sell it at even more of a bargain price.

13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Guess you will never own a vintage Ferrari ;) :)

That sounds like a well cared for car, and if it is a single owner, then it may be a good purchase if you plan to drive and enjoy it. As a 2008 it may not have the US carbon package that became standard in 2009.

14. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    #14 funkstar, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    There are vintage Ferraries out there with a lot less than 25k miles.

16. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Good luck to the OP!

17. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    Haven't signed on the dotted line............yet.

18. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    1. Buy the car
    2. Get a new wife
    :)

All kidding aside 25,000 miles is nothing. I have cars with 50,000 - 100,000 miles and the more I drive them the better the get. My 575 is a good example of that, 60,000 miles and engine is as strong as when new. I paid $225k for my low mile scud, your car quite frankly is a much better buy.
    Just check service history.

19. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Care to share where that car is? I will buy it right now and give you a ride in it.

20. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    If I turn it down I'll let you know ;)

21. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Very nice Roma did you ever post pics of you scud? And how many miles?

22. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Find out if there has been any accidents, paint, or bodywork. Brakes are expensive and if carbon fiber has gone dull it can be expensive too. If headlights have gone hazy they can be fixed instead of expensive replacement. It certainly sounds like a car worth pursuing IMO, particular if you are buying from original owner, but each to his own.

23. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    None but I would get it on ramps to double check.

Yep, they've got 10 to 15k miles left, but already investigating the cost of refurbishing carbon ceramics.

Never given a car as much consideration as this!! Car's history is:

Bought new by a CEO of a region hire company
    Acquired by a senior member of staff at a Ferrari main dealer who ran it privately
    Now on the market.

24. amerifrikaner

amerifrikaner Karting

Nov 19, 2014
    USA
    If the service history check out and no serious issues from the PPI I would call it a buy at $130k and really a buy at $120k.

The Scud is a special car and you will enjoy driving it...also, even if you put 3-5k miles on it in one year, your downside is limited vs buying a low mileage car and then put a few thousand miles on it. To my dislike the Ferrari world is very mileage sensitive in the first few thousand miles and then again around 5k and then 10k miles.

It may take a little longer to sell, but there are always buyers for these cars when they are well cared for, even with higher mileage.

Bottom-line for me is how well the car was maintained before you bought it and for resale during your ownership.

This all opinion, but at least you have it;-)

25. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It sounds like a good opportunity if you are looking for a Scud to drive and plan to keep and not flip in a year or two.