Has anyone had issues with their Clarion NZ503 stereo head unit | FerrariChat

Has anyone had issues with their Clarion NZ503 stereo head unit

Discussion in '360/430' started by Night life, Mar 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Hi, I recently installed the Clarion NZ 503 head unit in my F430, I ordered it from Ferrari in Naples I believe. I also ordered the install kit which made it very easy plug n play.

I hooked everything up, worked great sounded amazing, I pre wired for an optional amp as I'm adding subs later on. When I go to install my amp I disconnected the power to the head unit just in case. So now after I re-connected the power and to test the amp my head unit won't come on.

Let me be very clear though, the power indicator light is on, when I go to press it I hear a beep then nothing happens and power indicate goes off. I hold down power button will hear 3 beeps and the power light will light up again but nothing else will turn on ??????

I called the dealer they said try a hard reboot which I have done but did not help.

Has anyone else had this issue with the Clarion unit or any other?

2. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Quick update:
    I have not found the problem as of yet but wanted to say thank you to Boardwalk Boutique in TX especially Sara for getting in touch with me and trying to resolve the issue, that is great service to a customer 2000km away :)

3. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Kinda random, but how are you powering on the amp? If from the remote (acc) "on" from the head unit - "sometimes" the amperage is insufficient and the head unit will not operate. If the case, maybe disconnect the remote "on" from the head unit and power (to test only, of course) the amp straight from the battery (same as where the 12v constant is sourcing). I've always run any amps (cause they are usually pretty good size) via acc to relay.

Assume also both units are sufficiently and WELL grounded (ideally at the same point)

4. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    You were very close in your assumption sir ;)

I found the problem, it had to do with wire coloring on the install kit that they provided for the Clarion on the F430.

The wire kit they sent with the Clarion for the 430 is all colored coded, so red to red yellow to yellow etc etc... there is a blue wire with black fleck that is for power antenna and a blue wire with white stripe that is for amplifier remote switch. On the adapter for the F430 the blue wire was the same color with black fleck as the one for power antenna wire from deck, so I mistakingly hooked that up instead of the blue white wire, so the voltage to operate a power antenna is lower than that of amp lead wire, for what ever reason gave a signal for the stereo not to power all the way up.

Of course I had to remove the entire stereo to finally visually see where the problem lies. Some of you whom have the Clarion deck and adapter might not have the Bose sound system that you could order for the 430 like mine does, so you might never run into this problem. But if you do get the Clarion deck double check which wire you hook up if you're adding an amplifier or you will find yourself reading this after exhausting yourself in searching for the problem lol :D

5. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Glad it got sorted out - the pulling/re installing a head unit "shuffle" gets really old, really fast :eek:

6. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Pictures please :) Would like to see how it sits/installed.

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Will do as soon as I get a chance, also coming pics of subwoofers that are almost made perfectly to fit the F430 with the optional Bose sound system, or without :) Just waiting for their arival.