The finances of owning a Ferrari | FerrariChat

The finances of owning a Ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by William Tell, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    Did you finance your car, or save up for it?

I saved up for mine. I spent about half of my cash (excluding equities like, shares, bonds, real estate etc.) I am not an investor, and my money was just sitting in a bank account with 0.25% interest, in a country where there is 0% inflation (live in Switzerland)

I know the car will depreciate in value, and that I will spend thousands just owning the car, and may end up spending a Toyota Yaris in repair bills, but I can´t think of a better way to "invest".

Sure, it will sit in the garage most of the time, but that is ok. It is a a piece of art, just looking at it gives me pleasure.

Financing is also a viable option, you can get rates as low as 1.9% (again, I am in Switzerland) and put your money in an index fund, or something that is relatively safe and has historical returns way above 1.9% (not to mention 0.25%).

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never finance a hobby imo :)

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

An expensive hobby I might add too.

4. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I financed about 65% of mine. I kept the remaining in a separate account. I had a couple of big jobs coming up and I sometimes finance them for my customers. My season of major jobs is about done so I will be paying off the car in about 2 months. I think I got 2.9% financing.

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I financed a good part of mine at 1.74%. Almost free money. No point tying up cash that can yield a much better return.

6. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Yup, could've paid cash but getting a better return than my loan costs.

7. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Everyone will have difference circumstances and opinions. I paid cash for mine.

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    In this interest rate environment of 2-3% home equity rates it probably does make sense to finance especially if you get a tax deduction on your loan.
    Figure the deduction takes 30% off of the rate and you're paying back with cheaper dollars (1-2% inflation) and it is really free money... then invest the $100k otherwise spent on a 360/430 for a 5% return.
    The numbers support it!

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I financed mine for a 5 year note. Paid it off in 4. No use not taking advantage of a 2-3% loan when you can make 4%+ in a dividend.

10. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I was going to pay cash, but the interest rate was close to 1% at the dealer, so I borrowed about 20% of the cost of the car. I figured it might help build a relationship with FNA, no need to tie up extra cash that I could easily come up with to pay it off at any point, and the rate was so low.

11. corvettefever

corvettefever Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Seminole Florida
    Full Name:
    Bob Patrick
    Paid cash for my 430. At my age

12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Well there are two sides of the coin here, I totally agree with the idea of "never finance a hobby" but Ferraris (maybe not the 360, at least not now) could go up in value so the "hobby" could become an investment, but with rates that low the second statement is true "it is free money" so I guess that only works when the rates are low.
    My way of seeing it is "if you can buy cash but you prefer to put that money in something that will give you a higher yield than the interest rate you will pay, then do it" BUT if you need to finance a hobby because you CANT afford it, that is a formula for disaster, because if something happens you would be in a terrible financial position.
    Kind of "leveraging" you would be in some kind of a "ferrari margin call" and you would have to sell at a discount therefore losing money.

13. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    This comes up every so often.

Several will say, only pay cash.

Other will say, live your dream and do what you want.

Still others will point out the potential for leveraging the money in investments.

Rinse, repeat.

14. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    We may see the 6pds appreciating, not the F1's.

15. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    yes i have seen 6spd manual 360s are on the rise as well.

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #16 Ron328, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

My preference is to pay cash but I agree the above certainly makes financial sense.

17. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    Smart

I dont know why there are so many people that say never finance a ferrari.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I think it's because many wants others to think they are doing better than they really are . Many regular joes are buying their dream because it's within their means now.

With sure low,rates and if they repairs won't kill you why not . I got 0% on wife's daily driver so why not . Free money

19. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Is it time for this thread again? The question has been asked so many times, check through a search. Results are the same, do what makes most sense / is right for you.

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

I literally pay cash for everything. There is a certain peace of mind of not being indebted to anyone that allows me to sleep well at night. I funded cars through investment returns in order to pay cash.

Invest first, buy with cash later.

Sure, there is additional lost investment opportunity by not borrowing at historically low rates.

Also consume less: if you can't drive it, eat it, drink it, or sleep with it, you probably don't need it.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

21. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So if you wanna pay cash for these cars how do you build credit? Not just credit but you do want paid high loan amounts on your history in case you wanna buy X item.Are you gonna be paying a house cash too? To me credit is super important.

22. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I got finance for my CS. I would have never been able to pay cash for it.
    Life is short, it makes no sense to wait for ten years in order to buy your dream car. You may be dead by then or unable to get in and out of it.

23. gretel1011

gretel1011 Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom F
    I agree - do what makes responsible sense. I can afford to pay cash and do at times. I paid cash this year for our new 2015 RR Sport & MB S550. However, I will probably finance about half of the cost of my Cali T because I can get sub 1% money. However the key is I don't NEED to finance it and will not be in a bind if things go south. At the end of the day we each have to make our own choices and live with the consequences.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I make $30,000 as an "account executive".
    I have $15,000 in credit card bills,
    I save no money,
    Every friday I go out in my designer Jeans and Ed Hardy T-shirt and act like I'm a multimillionaire.. you know to pic up the hotties in Louboutins
    (who also don't have a nickel)
    I make payments on a C-class or 3-series Bimmer
    I finance EVERYTHING! ;)

25. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Almost... But at age 57 I wear the "relaxed fit" jeans