35k to repair a 360 engine | FerrariChat

35k to repair a 360 engine

Discussion in '360/430' started by rhodeislandmodena, Mar 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhodeislandmodena

Oct 27, 2013
    rhode island
    Full Name:
    justin case
    does this seem normal? 30k parts and labor to repair a 360 engine? my 5-8 cam belt went and bent about 7 intakes valves 16 exhaust valves broke some guides. i pulled motor myself and had machine shop repair heads paid 3k to have that all done including labor with a full valve seal job.

(motor was broken down to just transmission and block)

dropped motor off with all parts to shop and they cleaned it and broke it down.

they pulled one piston out that had been slightly pinched and redid all the bearings in the main shaft and lower block with new seals.

i supplied new clutch assembly, thermostat, water pump, engine gasket set, belts, transmission mount bushing, timing kit, tensioners, about 6k in parts

they then installed everything back in, including used water pump housing ($500) original got messed up from thermostat failure. they replaced oil pump chains and guides and and put in clutch i supplied adding new guide pin and slave assembly.

removed rest of filters and oil.

they were at 32 hours labor and they are right about to put it back in car. $130 per hour. i just dont see how it came to $20,000 in parts for the 1 piston and full set of rings, main bearings and rod bearings, replaced inner bearings for cam drive gears, replaced rear main seal, updated tensioner hardware, spark plugs, new guide pin on slave assembly, alignment guide,

does this seem right?

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#2 NbyNW, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    eBay listing from a reputable source has "brand new 360 motors" for $25k. Rebuilding is typically a lot more yet while doing it you can spec it out how you want.

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Contact Exotic Auto Recycling. Ask for Ryan.
    You can get anywhere from 5000-15000 mile engine for under 15000. With a warranty.
    They are in No Cal and ship all over. I think they have a CS engine for 15.

4. rhodeislandmodena

Oct 27, 2013
    rhode island
    Full Name:
    justin case
    already done with the work just seeing if that seemed about right price wise

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Belt went? When was it last changed? Would be good to know.

6. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    +1

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sounds really high to me, but why would it be a surprise? Shouldn't they be in contact and estimating as they go? Also, they should have said - look, at this point, just get a new block since it will be cheaper than rebuilding this one.

Good luck man; sorry to hear you are in this...

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sounds a tad high. I would have put a used motor in myself. $130/hr sounds like dealership pricing. If they used new parts pricing from a dealership then I can possibly see the pricing. Bolts and screws are $3/each.

I'd get an itemized bill if I were you.

9. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I don't think I would spend so much money to fix it. How many miles on the engine?

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Get a break down of labor and parts. Can't really comment until you post at least somthing a long those lines.

11. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    What is the itemized list?

12. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I wish, my local shop charges $165/hr, daren't ask what the dealership charges :)

13. rhodeislandmodena

Oct 27, 2013
    rhode island
    Full Name:
    justin case
    #13 rhodeislandmodena, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They weren't really in contact with me during the rebuild. Called me the other day when it was finished. Not yet in car. Came down to check it out. And like I said all they replaced majorly in block was one piston and then all the bearings and seals. They Had the car since September. I was expecting under 15k total since I had heads done myself and they were just basically reassembling and replacing a few minor parts. A piston at dealer price is 1000. And 500 for water pump housing. Don't see another 23k in parts. Especially with only 32 hours into it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rhodeislandmodena

Oct 27, 2013
    rhode island
    Full Name:
    justin case
    40k on motor before a rebuild. And figured original motor was worth more for resale. But didn't expect 40k parts and labor to fix a couple bent valves and a slightly kissed piston head.

15. rhodeislandmodena

Oct 27, 2013
    rhode island
    Full Name:
    justin case
    It was only 3k to re do heads. Including the valves guides and seals.

16. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    That is very high. I would get a complete parts list.

understand its all done now but you can pick up used working engines $8-12k on ebay & breakers.

17. nmercier

nmercier Rookie

Sep 25, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    N. Mercier
    I use IFS (John Terrell) right up in Easton MA he might be someone to help you on this. Did you ever get a budget or a quote before you started this service with them?

Best of luck

18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I know the focus of this thread is cost, but still curious how long since last belt change.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yikes. Hand written list? That is a huge red flag. Even old-school guys put everything in a digital document of some kind these days. Gotta see the full list of items broken down in labor hours and parts and totaled. That is just normal operating procedure and the only way to know what you are paying for...

Sorry you are going through this.

20. benzman320@aol.com

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 13, 2014
    swansea mass
    Full Name:
    bryan pacheco
    Where did you go to have the work done for that much money? That is crazy!!!
    I deal with John at IFS also and he is top notch. His rates are more than fair and he is as knowledgeable as they come. It might have cost you half as much for him to do it. I suspect that the shop you went to added a "premium" because you had started some of work and bought your own parts.

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy

+1

22. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Sounds unreasonable to me. Get them to specify exactly what was done, an itemised list of which parts were used etc, and provide evidence of the items they purchased for your rebuild, with invoices. I would be very surprised if your local laws would not oblige them to do so, and they require the specification of parts bought for their administration so they should have them.

If they refuse and you don't have an attorney yet at this stage I think finding and spending a few hours with a good one who has experience in such cases would be a good investment. Do every communication by written statements from here on, do not agree to anything and definitely don't pay them.
    From a specification it should be a lot easier to build your case further. You can take an itemised list to Ferrari parts counter to have it priced and that way see if they are telling the truth and not use unreasonable markups etc. If they refuse to provide one, your attorney can send them a letter on official paper to help getting things going into your direction.

23. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm sorry.. this isn't the 355 section.. hehehe

25. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I wouldn't pay $35 on the basis of that scruffy bit of paper. I hope they provided more than that as basis for their charges.