Thoughts on F430 6MT premiums | FerrariChat

Thoughts on F430 6MT premiums

Discussion in '360/430' started by howl, Mar 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In the interest of full disclosure, I won a F430 6MT and paid a premium relative to a comparable F1 equipped car last June. I have watched as the premium appears to grow. I wonder if this is a permanent difference or a phenomena that will last maybe 10 - 15 years. Here is my thinking. As a general rule (we can find soe exceptions such as the Ford GT) cars that are going to appreciate, generally do this as they hit 25 - 30 years of age when those who ousted after them in ther younger years, have the financial wherewithal to purchase their dream car. We are certainly seeing this now with the mass produced 308/328 series. I think we are seeing a premium today for 6MT cars because the average buyer (I realize there are some younger owners as well), if an enthusiast, has probably owned and enjoyed multiple manual cars. They are proficient at driving stick and enjoy it. Relative scarcity of the 6MT is most likely driving the premium. Now let's look 20-25 years down the road. Most of the buyers will have been raised in a DCT world. They will not lust after a 6MT I suspect if they even know how to drive one. My son is 22 and has one friend that drives stick. When I was his age, we all drove stick. In fact, I fear given the production numbers, and the inferiority of the F1 to the DCT in the 458 the F430 while a fabulous car (my favorite of those in my garage), may look more like the 348. No real demand for the manuals, F1 inferior to 458 DCT, and high production numbers. Now, I am not keeping mine as an investment although I will probably never sell it. So just a discussion piece. What do you think?

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you make a good point about those who will not know how to drive stick but there will also be so many more F1 cars. I think there will always be a demand for stick cars.

3. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I own a F1 F430...

I think the premium for 6spd will continue to grow percentage wise. As great as the F1 trans is - the market has proven that people want the 6speed manual gearbox. In the E46 M3 market, SMG is worth considerably less than the stick shift examples. While it would be silly to compare the F1 trans to Porsche's early tiptronics - the 964 / 993 Porsches with tiptronic transmissions are worth ~ 20% less than the stick shifts. Same goes with 996 Turbos ( ~ 8%). IIRC, you had to pay extra for a tiptronic transmission, only to flush that premium down the drain as soon as the cars aged and hit the used market.

shooting in the dark...
    Year 2022:
    F430 F1 45k miles $65k
    F430 45k miles 6spd $85k

4. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I understand that is how the market looks today. But roll forward 20 years when those buying the cars grew up driving DCT and automatics? Will the premium hold? Go the other way? Most of those buying the cars right now, grew up in a era where a performance car had a manual and many pride themselves at being good at driving stick and enjoy it. So, does the premium hold in 20 years?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree with you. What people forget is that the market is set by those in their 40's and 50's. Two reasons: They have the most disposable income and, That is what they grew up with. Ask any "antique" dealer and they will tell you that they get stuff that is ~40 years old. It has the highest resale so they can turn the inventory and it has generally peaked in price. It would not surprise me if the real value 25 years from now is not this generation F cars but the GTRs and other turbo cars from this era. Not saying the the F car won't have any value but it may well not be the hot ticket.

6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    +1. And that's one of the main reasons why the 80s era Ferrari cars started to appreciate. Who's buying them? People in their late 40s and early 50s.

7. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I think the 430MT will be regarded as the last of an era (much like the 997.x GT3 MT) and as such will command a premium. Unless Porsche, Ferrari etc. start to offer MT's again.

8. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Manual F430 and Gallardo are the LAST of the manual Italian mid-rear engine supercars ... They mark the end of an era, a tradition, a heritage ... The gated shifter. This is not simply an aspect, it's a sound, a feeling, a way of driving - and ultimately a nostalgia.

The issue here is not that future generations will prefer DCT and F1 trans, they probably will for their modern cars... However the stick shift cars will always remain that elusive and desirable icon of the "way things were" for the same reasons collectors like late 1800's revolvers (even though a semi auto reciprocating slide is more advanced) or younger generations appreciate Hendrix or the Rolling Stones along side of modern electronic music. Like a fine wine the more years that pass the more the humble stick shift will be appreciated and loved as a reminder of our cherished automotive past!

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes like how everyone is clamoring for running boards and flathead motors. Or a more modern example, everyone is taking out those new fangled HID headlights so they can get back to the warm charming light of the incandescent bulbs. Or even the very rare sun roof on the 360; now those are in extremely high demand.

End of an era holds little sway. It comes down to the total package, not a single feature, and it has to hit the nostalgic sense of the buying public with the $$$ to drive prices.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know about others, but he young car nuts I know ALL drive manuals. When they look at modern Ferraris which are still out of reach for them, it's manuals they admire. Perhaps their lives have become so digital that they want their "hobbies" to be more analog. Perhaps having the skill to drive a stick is a bragging point among their peers.

Dave

11. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    For me personally its the service aspect now and in the future, im in buffalo and the closest Ferrari dealer is hours away, i have to think 20 years from now lack of parts and support for the f1 will make them much less desirable, after my vanquish i only considered a 6 speed f car, and looking at 430's now 3 pedals or nothing, but i will admit that the technology has come a long way and i welcome the dual clutch transmission in the 458, Jay

12. William Tell

William Tell Karting

Sep 2, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Villi
    I would just like to point out that in Europe everyone learns how to drive a "stick". There is no such thing as a license where you can only drive an automatic (as far as I know of).

13. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Yes but in America people have become lazy and want to drive automatics and go thru the drive thru at fast food shacks while not being bothered with depressing a clutch pedal...and this (USA) is Ferrari's largest market.

14. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    ive owned 512tr and 355 with sticks of course,and diablos and at end of the day i prefer the f1 driving exprience.6 speeds will hold there value stronger than f1 100% look at what the 599 manual prices are doing

15. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    There is in the UK. Automatic only license is not uncommon for those who are intimidated by the whole driving concept. :)

16. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There will always be aging motorcyclists who trade in their leather for an Italian supermodel with four wheels. Many of them will prefer stick shift also since they know how to use a clutch. :)

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sadly, licenses are handed out to teenagers in the US who can barely drive anything!

Dave

18. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    Realistically, how many of us will still have our F430s in 20 years? If you're on this forum in 2015, you're probably the type of person who stays a generation or two back of the current model. When the 458 is priced like an F430 is today, my guess is that most people on this sub-forum will upgrade.

19. Formula1r

Formula1r Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Realistically, unless Ferrari decides to make manuals again, the 6 speeds should always demand a higher price. It is the end of an era!

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When I was in Mexico everyone drove sticks. In Poland.. sticks everywhere. Zurich.. sticks everywhere.

It seems that the US is the exception globally to many things and not the rule.

Many many 20 something enthusiasts driving sticks. The Corolla driver texting while drinking coffee barely keeping it between the lines.. they're probably not going to want a Ferrari when they get older. They want a Tesla.

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Got that one right.

End of an era shmera. It is the end of an era, in that the boomers will be out of the running and the next generations will be setting what is desirable. I am betting that the premium we are seeing today falls away.

22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The manual transmission will go the same way as the manual crank starters did in my opinion.

You guys can romanticize the manual all you want but the tides will eventually shift, when the next generation is looking for a "classic" 355/360/430's, they'll be looking for F1 transmissions specifically.

The 355 F1 being the first production Ferrari with an F1 transmission will, in my opinion, be a highly sought after car. Considering there's only around 1100 Berlinetta's made with the F1 trans, they're relatively rare to begin with.

At the end of the day, go out and drive what puts a smile on your face. If you're buying a Ferrari (or any car for that matter) with future resale value as a high priority when making a purchase, you're buying it for the wrong reasons.

That's just my opinion though...and like they say: "Opinions are like a$$h0les, everyone's got one."

:)

23. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    For sure 6-speed manual F430 will worth much more in the future... as Sunir perfectly said, the F430 will remain the last mid-engine Ferrari with a stick, ever. And so it will be more and more desirable.

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Not only is the F430 the last mid-engine Ferrari with a stick, it's also the most-powerful mid-engine Ferrari with a stick, and the only mid-engine Ferrari with a stick and a manettino. Fred

25. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I agree. I rarely heard anyone in Law School even talk about Ferrari, mostly just Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche Panamera, Porsche Cayenne, and Tesla. I am 26 and out of my circle of friends around my age, only 2 of them have a manual transmission car. When my buddy's ride in my Ferrari they think it is cool, but most could never see themselves owning one.

When I frequented exotic car dealers, they never tried to sell me on the fact a car was a manual transmission. I am just fine with the F1. I could never see myself paying a premium for the 6speed, with the F1 360 and f430 being so reasonably priced and plentiful.