Transmission Mount Tool Broke... Now what! | FerrariChat

Transmission Mount Tool Broke... Now what!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Drestless, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #1 Drestless, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I wish I could've posted good news regarding this tool but it's likewise.

I was excited to do the tranny mount and go for a drive this weekend but the unexpected happened. I heard the loud bang while wrenching the tool (95973219) which is a good sign that the mount came lose. BUT after moving 5 or so mm the screw for this tool broke!!!

There goes me being hopeful that I can drive the car this weekend. Wishful thinking for me. :-(

Then I said comfortably that it will be replaced as warranty. Well another wishful points for me. The individual from Ricambi stated that is not covered from warranty and I would pay for the screw which is not cheap change either. If I only knew that that the tool can break and it will parts will not be replaced as warranty I WOULD not buy this tool and just muscle my way (hack saw and others) in removing this transmission mount.

Third wishful thinkinh for me is expecting them to ship it next day for free or even in a discounted rate. Guess what! No. I would pay full next day shipping charge.

I'm in no means being too negative but I think this would help other folks decide before purchasing the tool that it can break and it's not covered by warranty. I don't see this anywhere in the purchase agreement at all.

Any of you gone through the same issue? On all web pages I looked looks like none has issue and seemed like this is the tool that can handle the job.

I ended just sipping my gin and juice in the garage instead of enjoying the wearher this weekend with my rari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I use long 1/2 inch grade 8 fine thread bolts with grade 8 nuts. Works better and I use them once and throw them away.

How hot was the housing before you tried to remove the mount? Trying to do it cold is a sure recipe for failure. You need to heat it with a rose bud until it is smoking.

3. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    You can also use a large "C" clamp to push it through.

I have also used a ball joint tool also.

David

4. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    It was hot enough but can be hotter. I was worried warping the metal. How much was the nuts and bolt? Can't find a long one in Amazon. Maybe I'll just stop by a local hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. Did you use WD40 or something to loosen it up? I didn't.

Anybody had the same experience with this tool and ended up paying some more to replace the broken screw?

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You will not find 1/2 grade 8 nuts and bolts at Lowes or the hardware store.

6. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Got it. I still have high hopes that I will be sent a replacement nut and bolt by Ricambi.

Did you torch it on the top part? I assume so because if we torch it on the side the tranny mount will melt.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those fit very tight. It needs to be pretty hot but move the rose bud around back and forth across the top.

I stopped using the original bolt after the first time I used it. It is a very strong piece but it is coarse thread and makes the job very hard. That's why I went to 1/2 fine.

Find an industrial fastener supplier and get a couple of bolts and nuts but be sure they are both grade 8 or the threads will just peal off.

8. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I was surprised the Ricambi part didn't come with fine threads... I was able to use mine fine, but it did take some cranking.

9. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The problem with warranty on that part is that it's capable of being broken quite easily if the tool is used incorrectly. I'm not suggesting that is what you did, just that it's difficult to offer warranty on something that can be broken quite easily if misused.

Hill Engineering (the manufactures of your Ricambi part) replaced a couple of their lower ball-joints on warranty for me recently without quibble. They were a mess after only 4k miles.

Good alternative offered by Rifle of course. The main value of the tool is the carefully machined components for drifting out the bush, not the threaded bar. Look at this as a good opportunity to locate a really good nut & bolt shop in your area. I found one locally years ago and I'm a regular there now, always collecting new fasteners & washers in stainless. I'm like a child in sweet shop in that place! :)

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Saw the damn thing out. But.. you're only half way there! You have to put the new one in!

When I had my bushing replaced I brought it to my mechanic, and IIRC he sawed the old one out and pressed the new one in. From the pics he sent, it was a BIG bolt used to compress it. He told me he also machined some extra off the new bushing to help it fit. Re: adding a lip.

11. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    When I did mine, I greased the threads well and slowly applied torque. I think I removed the air box, and loosened cross member over the engine. I also remember raising the trans/engine with a floor jack. The car was on my car lift. I did not use heat on the aluminum, I maybe applied some PB Blaster to help reduce friction. The new mount went in fine.

Good Luck!!!!

12. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Alright guys. I gave the tool a second chance. Ricambi sent me a replacement nut and bolt.

Torched it some more and even used WD40 and it was able to move it by a millimeter then it broke again!

I wonder why this tool is failing. It wasn't even able to do what it supposed to do even at least once. You would expect the tool to do what it's supposed to do at least once before it breaks.

This is hitting my boiling point. :-(

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You were given good advice about getting a fine threaded grade 8 bolt but for some reason you are choosing to ignore that and do the same thing again. Isn't the definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result? Just go get a proper bolt for a few $ and get on with the show.

14. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    I would appreciate it if no assumptions are made before jumping to conclusions.

I was already getting ready to move-on and to buy the grade 8 nut and bolt BUT then I received a message from Ricambi that they will send me a replacement free of charge so I went with it.

I'm not expecting the same result from the same process. This time I used WD40 on top of the torch. So that is different but it's still a failure.

Now I bought a grade 8 and we'll see. Any helpful response and less judging would be appreciated. Heck, I thought being hobbyist and not a pro is part owenership and trial and errors doesn't question your sanity.

15. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I would have tried the second tool also. Don't let it get to you. Kudos for doing it yourself! I prob would have tried my ball joint tool before spending the $ on a specialized tool, but that's me. Give Brian's method a try I'm sure he's spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    When I removed mine the centerline was no longer center and the tool wouldn't fit within the transmission mount housing. I ended up breaking the rubber from within the mount which the enabled the tool to line up within the mount housing.

If you cranked on your and the tool was against the housing, then I could understand why it could break.

I would source a high grade fine thread bold/nut and repeat making sure the tool is properly aligned.

17. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Great news guys!

It's finally off. What I would share is the tool works BUT there's a risk of the bolt breaking due to it's not strong enough in some situation (broke twice on mine). Like on my 360 it's really tight that it felt welded in there.

The best thing to do is get a grade 8 fine thread nut and bolt (thank you for the community's input on this one) and just not risk it with the bolt that came with the transmission tool.

Now I'm on the next phase. I tried to install the new mount but it's coming-in crooked so I'll stop for now. Time for some drinks. I'm done for the day. Next week I'll continue.

I'm still going to use the transmission tool BUT not the bolt (because the second bolt that was sent to me broke too) to install the new mounts. Any advice on making this installation easy would be appreciated guys.

So far I machined the edge a little bit to give it a better entry, frozen it and sprayed WD40.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    An Ace or OSH hardware will have the bolts and nuts you need.

19. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well done for getting it out at last. Great advice from Rifle in terms of the right tool for the job with the Grade8 suggestion.

When I installed mine (with far more basic tools) I used a grinder to extend the chamfered edge on the OEM bushing. As stock there's only a lead-in of about 3mm which is very marginal and almost bound to set you up for a less than perfect alignment. I think I extended that edge by at least 10mm, maybe more. The whole unit is about 70mm across so even if the first few mm is slightly less snug than standard the remaining is perfectly tight.

20. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    The transmission mount is finally installed.

What I learned from the process is...
    1. The tranny tool is very useful in removing the old mount BUT be prepared to toss the nut and bolt. Just use grade 8 nut and bolt and your good to go.
    2. The tranny tool is very useful in installing the mount BUT be prepared to hammer the mount in case the grade 8 bolt available is not long enough (hardware close by doesn't have long enough grade 8 items).

In summary, the tool is highly recommended just be prepared with backup grade 8 in case it breaks.

Thank you for the community's help. Now, on to the next phase of my major service project.

21. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Glad you got it sorted.

I would not recommend any use of hammer in the process however. I can see a world of pain in the potential damage. That casting is absolutely not designed to have the bushing hammered into place from the side..

22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    To add to the above learning experiences....

Use plenty of lube/anti-seize on the bolt (original or aftermarket)
    Heat up the housing (250-275 using a propane/MAP torch was good enough for me)
    Put new bushing in the freezer (12 hrs at -2 degrees)
    Used hose clamp to center bushing and tool (only have two hands)
    Tighten nuts S---L---O---W---L---Y
    Double check your alignment when you get the tool to the housing.
    Hose clamp can be used to mark new bushing orientation since Sharpie's don't like to write on frozen metal!

Tool worked fine for me but I had a backup plan with a ball joint press.....