430 Header replacement | FerrariChat

430 Header replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by JMC126, Apr 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So it finally has come to happen. My 2006 430 was found to have some small cracks developing in the headers. After reviewing all of the options - ferrari vs aftermarket.

After looking at lots of options - settled on Ferrari, Fabspeed or Capristo. Capristo sounds great but is also the most expensive. Ferrari - turns out is a rebuilt header, they no longer make new headers for the 430 - but dealer honors the discount as Ferrari of America member. Fabspeed - nice compromise in terms of price but also sound - but I am concerned what others have mentioned about issues with California emissions.

My local dealer has told me of issues with cars and fabspeed headers and CA emissions, no issues with the Capristo systems.

Fabspeed tells me that they do not have any issues with CA emissions, but also do not offer a guarantee to the no problem issue.

I am hoping that the Ferrari community can help me with this question.

What has been your experience? Thanks for you input.

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    JMC,

You shouldn't have any issues passing emissions. Despite the fact that replacing the OEM headers means removing the pre-cats, you will still have your OEM primary catalytic converters intact and functioning just as they were with the OEM headers.

The only thing I could possibly see causing any type of a failure in regards to smog/ visual inspection: if the inspector flags the car because it has a "shiny exhaust component".. Which of course is easily avoided considering you will most likely have ceramic coat or header blankets.

I can assure you that we have plenty of California customers running these headers on their F430 without issues.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly, I would be happy to assist!

3. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have a 2006 430 and also live in CA. Looking forward to the inevitable and pricy header issue, I've attempted some research. Our local independent F-car mechanic, who was the service manager at a dealership for over ten years,, tells me that if the pre-cat (which is monitored by the engine ECU) is missing, an error code pops up. Current CA emissions testing relies entirely on the self-diagnosis function of the car itself. If there's an error message, the car doesn't pass. If your savvy 14 year old son has hacked the system with an emulator, you pass unless there's visible smoke. That's it! He refuses to install anything other than oem headers.
    I've heard that Capristo markets an emulator module that fools the ECU into thinking a pre-cat still exists. There is also a tubi "homologated" 430 header that is not imported into the US that may also have a pre-cat, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. My headers still (I hope and fervently believe) are OK, but please share anything you learn with the group. We're all future header customers!

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hey Guys,

I did a little digging and came up with these replies from a previous F-Chat Thread:

From in this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/328261-fabspeed-f430-headers-2.html

5. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I'm really appreciative of Joe's (and Fabspeed's) involvement in F-chat.I remember this thread, but installation of new headers typically involves about $1000 in labor (or terminally barked knuckles) and the not insubstantial cost of the replacement piece. This is an issue that will affect us all. How's about a guarantee that CEL will not illuminate (and CA emissions will be passed) along with any sales to CA? That would make me stand up and take notice!

6. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Would like to know more about this inevitable header issue .. I have a 06 F430 .. I see a VERY little oil drop after I park the car .. How can you tell if the headers are getting bad ...

7. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    get the Capristo's not made in the USA but fantastic quality & not made in China or Taiwan like Fabspeed's apparently are

8. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just watching of interest... but are the o2 sensors on a US F430 car in a different position to the 360?

9. Teachdocs

Teachdocs Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2012
    Kansas City area
    Full Name:
    Chad
    There is a difference between throwing a CEL and the ECU giving an emissions ready/pass thru the OBDII port.
    I'm not smart enough to explain this in technical terms, but believe this is the case.
    Maybe experts can chime in 😄

10. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My local ferrari dealer told me that the Carpisto headers would be california carb certified. Thus I elected to go with the Capristo headers and exhaust brackets. Symptoms of headers being an issue would be a knocking sound not an oil issue. Thanks for all the input.

11. Bigmig

Bigmig Rookie

Jan 10, 2014
    My 2006 430 is at the local dealer for annual service and I was told I have cracks appearing in the headers. I don't have to do anything now, but it will be a problem soon. I don't want to replace the headers with the OEM, any suggestions? The car is a red and tan spider with the beloved gated shifter so I have no plans of ever selling it.

12. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    If it's a keeper and you want the best - Capristo!

13. wrcimprezza

wrcimprezza Karting

Apr 26, 2011
    Perhaps considerations needs to include your ongoing ownership and the value of your vehicle to the next owner should and when you come to sell; given the choice of two similar cars would you buy a car with a Capristo aftermarket exhaust over one with Fabspeed equivalent? I know where my logic stands and that determined what I installed on my car - Capristo without any hestitation.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    You need that in writing from them because you want them on the hook for it. I just searched the CARB database and Capristo doesn't have anything with an EO number and nothing aftermarket is approved for exhaust use on any Ferrari (note: mufflers are not considered emissions components so aren't restricted). You can access the database here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

15. Nazar1960

Nazar1960 Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tony Ferreira
    I know this is an old thread, but any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to Ferrari and bought a 2009 f430 from Oregon and will need to smog it in CA. It has Capristo headers with heat shield blankets and a Novitec exhaust. Anyone here have a similar setup and have any issues getting it smogged ? Thanks

16. RobinMasters

RobinMasters Rookie

Dec 31, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bill Bodner
    By current CA rules the setup the car currently has should fail the visual inspection portion of the test. Having said that, If you have cats, O2 sensors, no CELs/codes and blankets covering the headers you should probably be ok. If they get out the mirror on a stick and start trying to examine headers etc. that will be your clue things are not going well. They will be looking for CARB #s and some of the parts you described will not have them. Blankets are a good thing as it makes it very difficult to check. Most of the fails in California now are not from the actual pollution test (tailpipe sniff) they are for non-CARB compliant intake and exhaust mods and software tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Nazar1960 and RCinHB like this.
  17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    When I had my 2009 430smogged last year, the smog shop had no idea what they were looking at. They probably never seen a Ferrari engine up close before.
    I would think that if nothing looks new and obvious, you’ll pass the visual easily.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Nazar1960 and EastMemphis like this.
  18. Nazar1960

Nazar1960 Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tony Ferreira
    Thanks I really appreciate the specifics. As part of the sale the seller included the stock headers and stock exhaust. So worse case scenario, I put those back on. But it would be a shame to have to do so.

19. Nazar1960

Nazar1960 Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Tony Ferreira
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'm hoping it will work out without having to put the stock parts back in.

20. Dreamgiver

Dreamgiver Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    Utah
    I'd get either Tubi or Capristo. I personally like Tubi because of the inconel metal and no need for a blanket. I have had Tubi headers for 2 years and no CEL light.

21. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I would get Capristo. Stay away from Fabspeed, their quality isn't good and they don't back their stuff. Coming from experience.

22. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Your earlier comment that there are no Ferrari replacements is incorrect per my Mechanic. Tubi has been making the Ferrari OEM replacement headers for a few years with far better quality than the originals. These come with the pre-Cats and cost about $4,000 each. I used these for my 08 F430 and am very happy.

Nazar1960 likes this.
  23. Dreamgiver

Dreamgiver Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    Utah
    Interesting, I wonder if Ferrari just gave up trying to make their own and supplies the Tubi replacements. Do you happen to have. Ferrari part number for them?

Nazar1960 likes this.
  24. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I looked through my service records to see what the dealer replaced mine with when they cracked (that was back in 2011 and replaced under warranty). The part number pulled up as 70001346 and it included both headers. The parts catalog specifically calls it out as a warranty part. Not sure what the implications are for ordering those as an individual this far out of warranty, but the price for the pair from Eurospares is pretty cheap: https://www.eurospares.co.uk/Parts/70001346/Ferrari/New/88722

Nazar1960 likes this.
  25. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    If that’s from 2011, my guess is that is MKII headers and they want them replaced in pairs. Not a bad price at all since they include the precats. Good to know for people who are in a jurisdiction where you can’t use aftermarket or challenge headers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nazar1960 likes this.