Upgrade to CCB front Calipers (with Steel rotors) | FerrariChat

Upgrade to CCB front Calipers (with Steel rotors)

Discussion in '360/430' started by webber498, Apr 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi all,

I have a 2006 F430 with standard steel brakes. From a visual perspective I have always felt the front brakes look too small for the car so I have been looking into upgrade options.

The obvious choice seems to be a Brembo GT kit for the front and I priced them up, but they are expensive over here in the UK and I didn't like the mismatched style between the front and back rotors (being a bit picky I know).

I got the opportunity to buy some F430 CCB front calipers that were in good shape for a bargain price so I went ahead and bought them.

My plan now is to buy the RacingBrake front steel rotor conversion with pads that fits the CCB calipers and matching rotors and pads for the standard back calipers so they all match up.

I just want some advice as to whether there is anything else I would need?

I guess I may need longer bolts to mount the CCB callipers to the car? Maybe different brake hoses too?

Given that the Brembo GT 6 piston kit doesn't require any brake servo upgrades or anything like that I'm hoping I won't need to for this either.

I'd appreciate any advice if anyone has done this.

Many thanks,
    Adam

2. Nero_Tenebre

Nero_Tenebre Rookie

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Nero
    You might want to do some research and make your brake master cylinder and proportioning will match. It might all work to some degree but may not be optimal. I agree with your aesthetic assessments and your solution sounds good in theory. If you are buying the ccb calipers make sure you get the brackets with them.

3. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks for the reply, when you say bracket I'm not sure which bit you mean? On the standard CCB calipers I understand they bolt straight on but simply need longer bolts (part number 195167)

Good point on the master cylinder I have been looking into it get some idea whether it may be an issue.

The feedback on the master cylinder from people who have swapped to a full set of CCB calipers is that they have had good results without changing the master cylinder. I'm hoping the fact I'm only changing fronts will lessen the need even further.

I'm also hoping that the brake balance wont be negatively impacted by the larger front calipers. I know that Brembo say their 6 piston GT kit for the front is designed to function well with the standard 4 pot rear, so I am assuming this will be the same for the CCB 6 pot fronts I am using.

I will feed back once this is all fitted and tested

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I ran 396 mm ceramics in front with OEM steel rears for 4 years with no problems. You should be ok, I think. ABS will still keep everything under control. Big problem would be the rears locking before the fronts, but with ABS, that will not happen.

5. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #5 racingbrake, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Terry - Thanks for your comments from your field experience.

To reconfirm the fitment, we mount the 380x34mm iron rotor (same rotor rings as for Nissan GT-R we offer for 09-11 stock replacement) under the calipers, they fit perfectly w/o a hitch.

The only area we would recommend is to also replace the pad from OE to GT-R pad to eliminate the excessive overhang in the bottom as you can see from two pictures. This pad change is a must because the OE pads is 85mm in lining height vs. GT-R or Mercedes C63 of 65mm. We have both pads in stock with ET500 compound is our standard performance street pad to be included in the package.

What to decide the alternative shorter (65mm) pad between Mercedes' D1291 and GT-R's D1382.

D1291 pad thickness = 15.5mm w/wear sensor connection.
    D1382 pad thickness = 18.5mm w/o wear sensor connection. Usually customers chose this pad for more pad life and just disable the wear sensor. Fitment is also confirmed the caliper can fit a thicker pad at 18.5mm with 34mm rotor.

Also a longer bolt (M12x1.5x100mm) would be required to securely mount the the caliper to the spindle, and we are glad to include 4 ea of these 12.9 grade high strength alloy steel bolts in the package for a "bolt-on" installation at no additional charge.

Very innovative and practical brake upgrade idea, keep your great idea coming in to share with the community, chances are we can custom build a kit like this one for you.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #6 racingbrake, Apr 20, 2015
  7. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #7 racingbrake, Apr 20, 2015
  8. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks for the extra info and the offer of the longer bolts, that's great.

Hopefully you got my PM with address details so you can quote for shipping to me here in the UK?

Am I correct to assume that all F430s have the wear sensors for the pads? Even the ones with standard steel brakes. If so I'd probably go for the pads that allow me to keep the wear sensor even though they will not last as long.

Thanks
    Adam

9. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Shipping was quoted via PM.

Yes F430 pads (front and rear) come with sensors. However our recommendation, as a good practice, is to always inspect the pads on a periodic basis - (especially for track use) than just rely on the sensor contacts.

All you need is a flash light and to peek through the caliper spring and see how much lining is left, because you do want just to rely on the sensor, and drive the car until the sensor is triggered - to avoid costly repair on rotor and sensor replacement.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Warren- That looks like a good set-up, and yes, both front and rear CCM calipers need new bolts and fronts and rears are not the same. 12.9s sounds like overkill, which is perfect for brakes, where overkill is what you are striving for.

Interesting that the V8s have front and rear sensors. Had not realized that. The Maranellos only have them on the fronts.

11. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Thanks guys, I'll get the order placed for the rotors and I will put some pics up and feed back once it's all fitted

12. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    12.9 caliper bolts are our standard grade.

Wear sensor is random, not all the same, here is what we understand:

360 Mondena & Spider: Front and rear pads are the same and both have wear sensors.
    F430 & F430 Spider: Same pads as 360.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    360 Challenge: Front and rear pads are the same, and both have no wear sensor.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    360 CS & F430 Scud: Same 6-pot front and 4-pot rear calipers and pads, and both have wear sensor.

13. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Thank you.

Order received and it shall get shipped in a few days when a tracking number will be sent.

14. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Great thanks, looking forward to receiving them!

If this all works out I'll be very happy as it has all cost less than the Brembo front BBK and I will have calipers that fit direct without adaptor mounts and both front and rear 2 piece rotors and matching pads for less than just a front BBK on its own.

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Congratulations ! This will be a nice upgrade.

I seriously pursued doing this, but the Ferrari dismantlerer
    would go no lower than $3K for the front calipers,
    I offered $2K, so no deal.

Will look great when done. Are you repainting the calipers ?

16. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Yes im getting them repainted to Yellow as they are red at the moment and my rears are currently yellow. It's a Nero car so yellow looks good against it IMO.

I was lucky as I picked them up for £650 so I think that works out around $1k!

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Adam- You are getting a lot of brake for a modest amount of money. Now just keep an eye peeled for a set of rear calipers and handbrake calipers. Crashes often trash just the rotors, leaving the calipers intact, so you could get lucky again.

Did you find the small red Brembo decals to go with the black Ferrari decals? They are only on the front calipers.

18. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    Yes I jumped at them for that price, I will keep my eyes peeled for some rears in the future definintely.

From what I've seen the F430 front ceramics just have the black Ferrari logo and not the red Brembo Ceramic detail underneath... Unless maybe they started adding that after a certain model year.

As I'm not running them with ceramic discs anyway I just asked the shop to go with the black Ferrari logo. The shop actually stencil it rather than use a decal, looking at their work it looks really good so I'm hopeful for a good result

19. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    #19 racingbrake, Apr 23, 2015
    Terry - That was a good suggestion to upgrade also the rear calipers (although not easy to come by) to the same as F360CS rear, for a better balance of brake., as you can see the pad size difference from the picture below, the top one is from F360CS rear, while the bottom is for a standard 360.

Since "webber498" is only for street driving so he should be fine, later on if he is lucky again, he now knows where to get his rear rotor 350x34 kits.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Warren- Yup, that CS pad looks to be about 50% larger.

21. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    I don't mean to highjack your thread but what happens if you use CCB rear calipers and don't change the handbrake caliper. will the E brake still function properly?

22. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Good question, the rotor shown in above rear set up is for a direct swap to factory CCM rotors (350x34), same size, same offset, so your E brake remains with same full functionality if you currently have CCM.

But for 360 owners like "webber498", since his OE rotor is only 330mm (front and rear), so he would have to acquire the 360 CS rear calipers (including hand brake) in order to be compatible with up-size 350x34 rotors. So he decides to only upgrade to our two piece rotors @stock size of 330mm, because no rear calipers are available (at reasonable cost) at present time.

We all know Ferrari calipers not only are highly expensive but are not easy to come by, so for 360 owners we have the following options:

Replace factory one piece to RB two piece rotors & pads:

Surface mount: RB Two-piece Rotor Kit for Ferrari 360 Modena & 360 Spider

Center mount: RB Two-piece Rotor Kit for Ferrari 360 Modena & 360 Spider (P/N 2256)

Or upgrade to bigger rotor set up with factory calipers or complete RB brake kit (including rotors & RB Calipers) to:

A: 380x34/350x34 - Same as 360CS
    B: 395x34/350x34 - Same as F430 Scud

We can build the kit with either CCM or iron rotors, so they can be used as:

1. Oversize upgrade with your choice of iron or CCM rotor, so you don't have to find the calipers, our kit will come complete for an easy bolt on installation.

2. Use iron rotor as a swap to factory CCM (CCM to Iron), if you have CCM but prefer to use iron rotor for tracking for lower rotor replacement cost, better modulation, or shelf CCM for re-sale value etc.

3. Use RB/CCM rotors as factory replacement (CCM to CCM) - Retain the use of factory calipers.

The advantage of RB kits is not only our rotors are made 100% compatible with OE, but they fit better, costs less than 1/2 of dealer charges, and perform better and last longer because we use the latest CCM technology with ZR1 discs (made by Brembo) or CCM-X discs made by ST (Surface Transforms)

FERRARI CCM BRAKES

When it comes to brake replacement or upgrade, check us out - RB has something for you from rotor, pad, to complete brake kits.

23. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    #23 webber498, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    I received my order today here in the UK only 5 days after it was sent! That's impressive, thanks guys.

I'm still waiting to get my Calipers back from re-painting before I can get it all fitted but they certainly look great!

24. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I can't wait to see the end result!

25. webber498

webber498 Karting

Aug 2, 2012
    Cheshire, UK
    #25 webber498, Jul 29, 2015
    Hi all,

I've now had the brakes on for a good month so thought I'd provide an update and some pictures...

I purchased the rotors and pads from Racing Brake, first impressions were that the parts looked very high quality indeed, which matches the feedback I found on other forums when I was researching and deciding whether to go with RB or not. You will see on the pics, the front rotors come in a black rust proof coating which wears off on the friction areas after bedding in. They are huge compared to the stock steel front rotor and caliper!!

I opted for street pads as I rarely take the car on track and I wanted pads that were quiet with good cold bite and not too much brake dust. My findings so far are that these pads hit the mark, they feel great when driving on the street and don't produce any more dust than the stock pads.

I did actually get the opportunity to take the car on Silverstone last weekend for some laps, the brakes performed well over all. I did start to get some fade towards the end of the session at one of the corners which requires heavy braking from speed - but this is to be expected from a street pad and was still an improvement over the stock steel set up.

In terms of brake balance, I had a niggle in the back of my mind about just changing the fronts to the larger calipers but leaving the rear stock. I was assured by other forum posts that this causes no issues and my findings so far concur with that, I'm not feeling any difference in the brake bias at all.

Visually I much prefer the look of the large front calipers, they really fill out the front wheel! I sent off all 4 calipers to be repainted in Ferrari Grigio and had the black lettering stencilled on rather than on a decal, it looks great!

Here are some pictures, hope you like. Very happy with the upgrade, I got the CCB front calipers at a good price and found Racing Brake to be very well priced for the steel conversion rotors and pads also, so the whole set up cost less than the brembo front conversion kit and I have brand new matching front and rear rotors and pads for that price.