Worn bushing causing gearbox whine?? | FerrariChat

Worn bushing causing gearbox whine??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Apr 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I just spent the weekend replacing my gearbox bushing and exhaust system. After a long day, I cleaned up and went for a drive to make sure there were no issues. I suspected the bushing was bad when I bought the car and was told after the PPI there was a slight whining between 4-6000 rpm, most noticeable when coasting. It wasn't something that needed to be taken care of right away but I'd be looking at a gearbox replacement in my near future according to what I was told by someone that already looked at the car.

I just got back from the drive and I was paying attention to the absence of clunking noises and the exhaust note. Exhaust is surprising in that at idle and low rpm (3000 and below) it drones a lot. Once you get above that, it's really quite in the cabin.

Since I was disconnecting stuff, I cut the master battery switch just to be safe. So, I didn't have a radio on either....just listening to the engine and the exhaust.

Now that I am thinking about it, I do not recall the gearbox whine! The bushing was in horrible shape, center section of the original bushing just fell out. I believe the lower transaxle mount was sitting on the cross member when I pulled the bumper off...exhaust tips resting just barely above the screens in the bumper.

Annual service was completed in September 2014 and the gearbox oil was changed then. Dealer said they changed it also they didn't show me any paperwork. I pulled the fill plug/dipstick and the fluid was clean and clear--nothing like what I experienced with a previous car with a whining differential.

I know that vibration will transfer through worn mounts, etc. and I have had a differential gear fail in a previous car so I know the sound but I have never had a whining go away after changing a mount but since the mount has gravity to deal with, as opposed to sitting on the mount like the engine mounts, this may be different.

I'll go for a ride tomorrow to confirm if the noise is gone but right now, I don't recall the noise being there after the bushing change....

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Not sure exactly what happened, but I took the car out today and there was no indication of whine from the gearbox.

Not sure if it was an alignment issue or not, so either the bushing is isolating it or something else but it appears to be gone.

3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If the bushing was well worn and the box sitting too low you could well have been hearing / feeling vibration Exhaust tips on rear grills? Straight vibration from the worn bush?

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Center part of bushing had about 1/4" of material on it but, tips were sitting just above the grills but there is evidence they had hit the grills at some point. Mount appeared to be original with the cup washers and the bolt having yellow marking paint on it.

5. trainwrex

trainwrex Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Where would you get gearbox and engine mounts replacements if that was the issue?

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Gearbox/transmission bushing is standard 430 unit available from various suppliers. Did not replace the engine mounts since they appeared new from what I could tell. However, these are also available from many suppliers.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A worn mount can make all sorts of noises and vibrations.
    Well done on the "win".