Buying advice, modified car, accident damage | FerrariChat

Buying advice, modified car, accident damage

Discussion in '360/430' started by rustyracer, May 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustyracer

rustyracer Rookie

May 16, 2015
    Hi,
    First time poster and hopefully soon to be first time Ferrari owner. Looking for a 2005-2007 F430. I have seen some great examples and came across a car I like but it has some issues. Wanted to get the experts take on how these affect value etc.

-2005 F430
    -Mods include H&R springs, exhaust kit, headers, brembo big brake kit and carbon intake. All look nicely installed and sound great.
    -Sub 15k miles
    -Florida car so some dash leather issues but not too severe
    -Has fixed recaro race seats in it now. I would replace with something nicer and in leather. Maybe the Recaro speedster seats

Has car fax showing damage left side without airbag deployment.
    Had body shop look at it today and looks like some work done to left door and left rear quarter with some moderate filler (thick measurements) in this area. Looks like most of car has been painted except right door.

I am ok with all of this and car looks great but working on valuing the car. I think market for a car like this un-modified in pristine condition is in the $125-129k range. They are taking about 10% off but I think the mods (particularly the lack of stock seats) and the damage probably warrant closer to a 20% deduction.

Open to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks for the help

J
    1969 Alfa GTV (GTA tribute build), 1973 Alfa Spider Racer, 2011 BMW 1M

2. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    IMHO, I wouldn't buy a car with the history that you've listed. Paint work everywhere except one door? Sounds like the car has really been through its paces, in more than the obvious sense. Even without airbag deployment, bodywork is never a good thing with these cars, in terms of negative impact on value. Personally, I would move on to something without these issues. And 10% is way too small of a discount....

I'll let the real pros comment on potential mechanical issues ...

Cheers
    FN

3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

All those mods and damage mean only 1 thing to me, it's been tracked/raced.....a lot. There is nothing wrong with tracking your car, but not all drivers are the same and the wear rate on components really increases. If budget dictates you looking at this particular car, have you considered a late model 360? Admittedly, maintenance is a little more, but if this car has NOT be maintained properly, it could well cost you a lot more anyway.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

There is an old saying bro , you get what you pay for.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

6. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I won't even look at a Florida car ....who's with me on this? (just curious)

7. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    With plenty to choose from, why not use more discretion? From your description, you would be buying a step child and at least a 20-25% discount should be in order as selling it would be a tough job. The car has seen serious track time and been "kissed" all over.

8. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

9. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I wouldn't touch this - just too much that can go wrong.

10. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Tracking may mean more wear on parts, but I would argue is just as likely to belong to someone who maintains the car properly that has fluids and wearing parts more closely attended to.

11. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Why?

12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I wouldn't buy this car.. Too many issues. Paint work all over.. Stock seats are $4k used so that is more off what they are asking.. How many miles?

13. Living4life

Living4life Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2008
    I would say that's a $85k car.

2005 for under $100k is good deal but with those issues, no one will buy it from you. Hard to sell that car with aftermarket seats. I know this as I had an 2007, same miles, none of the issues, race seats or stock seats to buyer, every option and CCB and I couldn't move it at $130k...this was 3-4 years ago as well.

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

- 1. I just purchased a Florida car.

15. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    That's a very myopic statement. I have a Florida car because I now live in Florida. It originated in Houston and I've owned it for ~ 5 years.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They'll never discount it enough to make it worthwhile.

Do you think it got all the mods and damage being driven to Starbucks on Sunday morning to get a latte? Too many cars out there that were treated that way to settle for one that was rode hard and put up wet.

You can't save yourself into a good car. Pay the money up front to get a good one, it costs less in the long run and we won't wind up with yet one more disaffected, disillusioned, one time Ferrari owner.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hey Pete , if you get down to Sarasota hit me up. I would love to see what another Florida car looks like. :D

18. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Dripping with seaweed 😈😈

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Incorrect generalization. I bought mine over 5 years ago in Florida. No problems. Florida has a rep for shady dealers but the majority are good. Otherwise they don't stay in business very long.

20. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Back to the OP. Don't even consider this car.

21. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I purchased a 2006 Carrera S convertible back in 2010. It was originally titled in Sarasota and I've had no issues for 5 years.... Runs great and the interior leather is still prestine! If anything, my main concern was weathering from the high temperatures and sun, but I guess I was lucky to find a good car.

Do your homework....no matter where the car comes from!

Cheers
    FN

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    +1. OP, you are way too new to the Ferrari world to be messing with questionable cars, with questionable history. This kind of stuff (like Rifledriver is alluding) cannot be pushed aside with a discount. The car would need to be at least 50% off, and you could still end up with a pile of shyte. These cars are terribly expensive to fix, and correct when something is not right...move on, get a nice example. It will save you $$$ and frustration.

23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

In a word "Run"

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    And don't look back...

25. rustyracer

rustyracer Rookie

May 16, 2015
    #25 rustyracer, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are truly awesome and appreciated. Got the guys down to $105k (it has 14k miles BTW). But understand now even that is not enough. Will continue the search.

Thanks,
    J