Price Check - High Millage F430 Spider | FerrariChat

Price Check - High Millage F430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by s.freid, May 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    Edit: I promise I know how to spell mileage ;)

Hello all!

I'm looking at a 2007 F430 Spider w/ 72k miles on the clock. Red/Tan and basically loaded. I will drive it like crazy so miles don't matter as long as it's been maintained. However, they are asking $99.9k aka $100,000 for it, and I feel that that is CRAZY overpriced.

I was told very frankly that they will not budge and that the owner does not care if it is overpriced, because that is just an opinion. I respect that, however the car has been for sale for 6 months, and it even has an accident on the Carfax although it states that the car was not damaged.

Before sounding overly negative, the car does look very clean and appears to be well maintained. That is why i'm looking at it. Obviously I would get it inspected.

Am I crazy for thinking this car should be $70k?? Please share your opinions.

Thanks!

Spencer

2. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Since you asked for opinions--mine is that a low miles 07 Spider say 15-20K miles would be about $130. I did some stats 2 years ago when I bought mine, and found about 80 cents/mile reduction -- all,other things equal, so a bit more than $40k reduction for the extra miles.

So about $88K.

3. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    Thanks for your imput - wouldn't the accident on the carfax also bring it down quite a bit though? While it doesn't show up as a full on accident, it says "accident reported - vehicle not damaged"

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I think the mileage is the biggest issue in price and I would agree with the 88-90k.

5. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    #5 s.freid, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
    My concern is if down the road I decide to sell it will already be damn near impossible to do so (i'll easily hit 90k miles) I don't think it helps one bit to have an accident on the carfax.

6. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    If it's been on sale 6 months then I reckon it's damn near impossible to sell already :)

7. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    Exactly. So what do you guys believe a fair offer on the car is contingent upon it passing a PPI? Would have to make sure the CS brake pads & rotors are in good shape... very expensive to replace.

8. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    If you look around you can find '06-08 cars with under 25K miles for the mid 130's. My strategy is always to buy the best example that I can afford. Better resale potential if that's a consideration. Probably less inconvenience dealing with the car in the shop for repairs and maintenance that could total or exceed the initial price of entry difference between a lower mile example and higher mile example. Just a thought.

9. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    If I can get the car for 70k, then we are talking a difference of around 60k - not insignificant. Not in a million years would I pay 99k for it though. If the car is mechanically sound and has been properly maintained then IMO running costs would average out to be similar to other F430's. I'm not scared of high mileage as i'd be putting on 8-10k a year myself :)

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    While this .80 per mile formula may apply to a point.... seriously, any newer Ferrari with over 40k miles becomes damn near unsalable.....really! The number of potential buyers falls precipitously. At that point, the discount gets much steeper. I would target this car in the $75k to $80k range, and it better have a stack of receipts for repairs and maintenance over that time, as well as a stellar PPI. Otherwise walk.

11. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    75k no more

12. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    I am in the "I want a somewhat lower amount of mileage on my Ferrari" camp.. but the bottom line is, if you can get a good deal, and it's the only way you can get into the car you want, it may be worth seeing how low you can get the guy.

13. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    #13 s.freid, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    I agree. I spoke with one of the salesmen and he firmly stated that the owner would not budge on the price and "doesn't care how long the car sits around"

...rightttt...

I know that there is a sucker born everyday, but I feel that even they are dreaming a bit to much on this one. There are three clean title 05/06 F430 coupes that have recently had their prices reduced to 99.9k with 25-35k miles on them. I'll take one of those any day of the week over the car in question.

14. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S

Agree with that. Look for under 40k. People are scared of the higher mileage cars but we will see more and more of them as people are using them a lot more. Look at all the California's with over 40k.

15. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
  16. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
  17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Need to get the factory build sheet, but appears to have the factory upper and lower CF driving zone (including CF steering wheel), which is a pretty pricy set of options. Has power Daytona seats. Appears to have some cf pieces in the engine compartment too....not sure if they are factory or not. Only mods that are readily visible is the painted wheels, smoked tail lights and side marker lights. Not sure, but may have the HIFI audio option too.

The pictures are really low quality so very hard to make much of an assessment on the cosmetics...

18. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Sounds like you want a "steal". Either you don't understand the value of these cars or are hoping to pay 360 prices for an F430. Even a high mileage well maintained car will still be close to 100k.
    You wait long enough and prices may go up. Do you really want to buy an F430? So far I don't get the impression. Good luck

19. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    As is said often by others on this site, " the cheapest Ferrari is often the most
    expensive in the long run"
    The cars you are looking at: Repairs (most likely) and mileage/depreciation (for sure)
    will hit you hard.

In your price range you should entertain a lower mileage 360 Conv. Manual transmission,
    maybe one with some Challenge/Scud wheels, maybe a CS kit, and good records.
    Sounds like $100k is your budget, set $5-10K aside for any car you get, upgrades,
    repairs, etc. Leaves you 90-95k to get a car.

20. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I think they are asking too much!

21. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Why are you NOT pursuing the lower mileage ones quoted above ?
    Instead of chasing double mileage cars, and one with a accident ?
    Set on a convertible ?

22. rmb221

rmb221 Karting

Feb 25, 2013