It takes 2 to 3 times before it starts | FerrariChat

It takes 2 to 3 times before it starts

Discussion in '360/430' started by humriv, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. humriv

humriv Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Desert Hills AZ
    Hey guys, my 2002 360 is not starting on the first try.

Scenario -
    Hold alarm button - two chirps
    Turn key - "System OK"
    Car in Neutral
    Foot on Break
    Fully turn key - Nothing

Back out completely
    Turn key- "System OK"
    Car in Neutral
    Foot on Break
    Fully turn key - engine starts

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times before it actually starts. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't.

Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this before?

2. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It's a Ferrari, mine does it too---

3. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I don't think that's normal. I have a 430 and that never happens regardless of whether its been sitting for a long time or not, hot or cold....

Interestingly, my Cayenne S had the same symptoms as you describe. While nothing showed up on the computer at the dealer, they finally figured out it was the starter motor not operating optimally or becoming weak. Replaced the starter motor with a new one and now it fires up (strongly) every time....

Cheers
    FN

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my thought too, has to be starter related, or electricals that pertaining to the starter motor and/or ignition switch.

my Audi a6 does it, and it is the ignition switch, replaced the switch and viola!

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Definitely not normal. You say "Hold alarm button". Are you pushing the button and release or holding it down while the car chirps? Don't know that it makes a difference but you just need to push the button. If you are holding it I can imagine a scenario where the alarm disarms and arms again.

6. nsx_2k

nsx_2k Rookie

Apr 7, 2009
    When you say "nothing" after turning the key are you meaning that you don't hear the engine cranking(starter turning) or are you implying that it cranks but doesn't start?

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Very good question.

Also, euro or US model?

8. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou
    Definetely not normal. My 2003 360 always (I own it since August 2008), ALWAYS starts on first attempt.

9. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine does it. When it's cold it takes two times of turning the key. (it used to take three) When warm it starts the 1st time.

10. humriv

humriv Karting

Feb 4, 2014
    Desert Hills AZ
    Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

@Skidkid - Are you pushing the button and release or holding it down while the car chirps? Yes, so I hold the button down, it chirps twice and I continue the process. I'm sure it doesn't arm again.

@NSX_2K - When you say "nothing" after turning the key are you meaning that you don't hear the engine cranking(starter turning) or are you implying that it cranks but doesn't start? Right, the engine doesn't crank at all. I turn the key and nothing happens.

@vrsurgeon- Also, euro or US model? US model

Might have to look into the started/electrical. It just started doing this so hopefully it won't leave me stranded someplace. Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it.

11. 360phil

360phil Rookie

Jul 13, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Lack
    I am having a starter related problem with my 360 F1, but not like yours.

After disarming alarm, I turn the key and only get rapid clicking sounds form the starter. Doesnt turn the engine over, just clicks. It sounds like the solenoid on the starter is playing up, but this just happened out of the blue.

At first I thought there may have been poor connections at the battery so took off the terminals and cleaned everything. I fully charged the battery overnight and its showing a good 12.8 volts. Still just clicks when the key is turned.

Anyone else here experienced this before on a 360 ?

I am wondering if its a relay problem - assuming there is a relay in the starter circuit somewhere.

Suggestions please ?

12. 360phil

360phil Rookie

Jul 13, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Lack
    I found my problem which was a dead cell in the battery. Battery indicator was still showing green and charger appeared to fully charge the battery. Starter motor would not engage and the clicking was the solenoid not getting enough volts.

Wont trust those indicator lights on batteries again. Hopefully the new Bosch S5 battery will last a bit longer. Have had a battery charger connected most of the time the car is not driven but it appears the alarm system really drains batteries fast if not left on a charger.

13. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    Based on this it sounds more immobilizer than not, but getting it checked out seems like the best next step as its definitely not normal.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Check the connection at the starter. Light grey/white line that goes into the starter solenoid. Clean it off and ensure it has good contact if relay or other cause not found.

Had the issue with mine turn key and nothing. Was a loose connection at the starter solenoid.