loose Headliner | FerrariChat

loose Headliner

Discussion in '360/430' started by corvettefever, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. corvettefever

corvettefever Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Seminole Florida
    Full Name:
    Bob Patrick
    2007 F430 Coupe Wife and I went out to dinner, dressed nice, and the &%$*#@ headliner fell down on our heads along with tiny bits of black insulation. Any one else had this enjoyable experience?

2. AZDiverDLR

AZDiverDLR Karting

Sep 7, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dave Rowley
    No - thank goodness! Mine seems pretty firmly attached. Is it just glued in place?

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    That's weird!

4. 360Grigio

360Grigio Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While driving my 360 on the freeway at speed, I felt something hit my head. The leather headliner was falling down with tiny bits of black foam everywhere. I can only imagine what the people in the minivan behind me were thinking as I tried to get over to the side and remove the headliner.

The foam they use, at least in the 360, is crap and breaks down into a sticky mess. My car spent some years in Texas, so the summer heat might have had something to do with it disintegrating.

One option - Get a recommendation for a quality upholstery shop in your area, either through your dealer or independent, and have the shop fix it. I went that route and am happy with the results. My headliner was glued directly to the roof of the car. The shop glued the headliner to a flexible fiberboard piece and reinstalled.

You could do the job yourself as well. There are several threads regarding headliners in the 360/430 section.

It took me awhile to purge the interior of tiny bits of black foam, I sincerely hope your car is easier to clean up!

5. corvettefever

corvettefever Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    Seminole Florida
    Full Name:
    Bob Patrick
    A highly recommended leather repair guy in my area (St. Pete, Fl.) is using the fiberboard method to repair mine now. When we removed the remaining insulation and backing, we found it was attached to the metal roof at the factory with strips of sticky tape!!! Not quite sufficient for Florida heat. And yes, the tiny black bits of insulation are a ***** to vacuum up, they go everywhere including your hair.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Yep ... in my 360 Modena. The adhesive just got old. Took it to a leather upholstery shop and they re-used the leather part, scraping off the old foam first. Then applied the leather to a new foam backing board that is more rigid than the original and then using better adhesive secured it back in place ... cost me $175. Looks as good as new now.

Regards,

Steve

7. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Yup on 2005 f430. Glue and foam disintegrated on my diamond stitched headliner. Fortunately everything was reused.

8. drcodina

drcodina Karting

Feb 2, 2007
    Eagle, ID
    Full Name:
    Michael Codina
    Exact same situation for me with my 2000 360. Local upholstery shop with experience in restoring hot rods did the work. Scraped the old foam off and reused the headliner. Charged me only for shop time, not "Ferrari prices"