Car stalled on a red light | FerrariChat

Car stalled on a red light

Discussion in '360/430' started by atl_boy, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I was picking up my nephew from school - I was at a traffic light .. Light turns Green - I press the gas pedal - BOOM ..Car Stalls. It started right back up - and nothing seemed odd after that .. BUT has anyone else had this happen? It's a 2006 F430 - I drive it in AUTO mode mostly / Sports .. Just got it serviced couple weeks ago - All checked out well .. I am a bit concerned - could it be the clutch? BUT it drove just fine afterwards - it's bugging me - why would it do that..

2. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Just called the tech (who did the service 2 weeks ago) at FofAtlanta - He said it might be the software - where it tells the car's clutch when to engage from a stop .. he said to monitor it .. if it happens again - bring it in .. It hasn't happened since then .. !

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It happened to me when I had my 05' 430. The dealer adjusted something with the computer back then and it was fine. Unfortunately, a couple of months later the issue came back. At that time I had decided to trade in the car anyway so I never bother looking into it again. However, i heard back from my dealer weeks later ( after I traded in and I had my new car) that the issue was way bigger than just computer adjusting. If I recall, it was the transmission bearing and it had cost over $7,000 to the dealer to fix it so they could sell the car to the next customer. I was lucky enough not to pick up that tab. I hope I don't scare you with my story.

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i am assuming you are talking about the throw out bearing?

dealer charged $7000 to replace that bearing?

5. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    That's sounds pretty scary to me :( best of luck to the OP..hope that's not the case.

6. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    How many times did it happen though? every time you drove the car?

7. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Honestly, I only remember bearing. It was over 7 years ago. The dealer didn't charge $7000. It cost to the dealer $7000 to fix it. Their cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy

It happened every single time I drove the car. In order to avoid happening I had to accelerate fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Ohh ok. This happened only once since I have owned the car. But if it occurs again; it's going into the dealership. I have the power warranty so that should be helpful.

10. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Absolutely, don't waste any time. Just keep an eye on it.

11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Billy I've driven alongside you and behind you and you have no problem accelerating fast lol...

12. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I guess I was used to from back then. Mike, are you coming on Sunday morning?

13. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    By any chance was the road wet? The only time that ever happened to me was when I had the slippery conditions button pressed. I started out from a stop, the real wheels broke loose and the transmission upshifted while I was barely moving and the car stalled.

14. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    No, it wasn't on the slippery mode. It was on sport mode when it happened.

15. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sundays are tough for me right now. I'm playing baseball and a lot of the games are Sunday mornings. I'll make my return on 6/7.

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I have just had similar issue, happened 3 or 4 times in a row. It happened when car was stuck in traffic for a period of time in idle, after I was able to blip the throttle at speed it went away so basically I have no idea ????????? ;)

Idle seemed perfect, it was as soon as I barely touched the gas pedal she would stall, start right back up again, it felt exactly like when you drive a stick and you pop the clutch out to fast and stall the car.