Scuderia SLOW DOWN light | FerrariChat

Scuderia SLOW DOWN light

Discussion in '360/430' started by rumen1, May 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    My catalyc converters are obviolsy gone, because after just one fast lap on the track, the red SLOW DOWN light appears on the dash, which obviously means, that they are overheating.

Because this car is obviously made for sport, replacing them with new OEM ones is not the best option on my opinion.

What are the other options and which are the better alternatives for sport cats for the Scud? My main concern are the 02 sensors and the possibility of any "check engine" lights to appear after the installations.

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    If you are getting a red Slow down lamp (not amber) you are overheating the catalysts so they are obviously still working. Simply installing new or different catalysts will not correct the issue. You must first find out the cause of the overheating or you will simply destroy the next set. Many times this is a false warning due to a failed sensor rather then a truly overheating catalyst.

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, but if it is a sensor, I guess it will show up randomly or all the time. And in my case the light shows up when I push the car really hard on the track (when they can really overheat). So can it really be a sensor in that case? And also if it is a sensor, wouldn't that show, when the car has a diagnostic? Because they have diagnosed the car with an SD3 reader just 2 days ago and it hasn't showed any issues at all (my car has about 45 000 miles on it)....

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Many times a poor connection or ground can cause the system to read a false high. This is easily tested when the car is cold at room temperature and it is common to see one read 150-200 degrees rather then room temperature. During normal driving this does not cause a problem but once you push it you can get a false warning.

It needs to be properly diagnosed before throwing parts at it. If the cat is truly overheating there is a cause, the engine is not running properly. A properly running engine will not cause the catalysts to overheat.
    Are you running pump fuel at 91-92 octane? Unleaded Racing fuel can cause overheating issues.

5. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    The engine runs like a swiss clock and I put only 100 octane fuel in it.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    keeping in mind Europe uses a different calculation method than the US, I hope it is unleaded, 100 octane may cause your issue. Higher octane burns slower and can cause exhaust temps to rise. I would strongly advise you try 92 octane and I suspect your concern may very well be resolved.

An engine can still feels like it is running well but have high emissions causing high exhaust temperatures as well.

You either have a false reading or a overheating exhaust and simply swapping out catalysts will not fix either issue.

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    In Europe the lowest we have is 95, but nevertheless, all fuels here are unleaded.

I will try to see if the reading is really false. However, The only think I can do is to check and reconnect the wires and the connectors. Thanks

8. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Why do you put fuel with such high octanes in your scud when even ferrari claims best at 95oct? I rarely put 98 and mostly use 95 which is best. Cheers

9. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, because they claim anything above 95 is better...

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    By the way, I am thinking that maybe one of the o2 sensors may be messing with the mixture and that may be the problem for the cats to overheat. I will order new ones tomorrow, they are not expensive at all, so even if the problem is not there, it will probably be a good idea to change them.

11. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had a similar issue on my F430. The left side exhaust temperature post cat probe was reading 1300 degrees! The temperature probe was replaced and the problem went away.

12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    By probe do you mean the thermo couple?

13. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #13 redduke, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    That's my quess too actually. Because now I thought, that the light also came one time when I was in the traffic. And I assume that pne of the thermo couples just fails when the temperature in the engine bay gets a little bit high... I will take the car to the workshop in the following days and I hope my mechanic will find the exact problem.

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    OK, after so much time spending on my local workshop, my mechanic said that he is not able to fix the problem. I will take the car to Ferrari Romania, but I have just spoken with their manager and he said, that they will probably need to replace the cats...

Are there really reliable aftermarket cats, that I can use, or it is OEM or nothing if I don't want any CELs?

I really think that the problem is electrical though, but then again - the car has 45 000 miles on it, maybe the cats really need replacing...

16. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Never heard of cats being replaced at such low milage....a friend of mines has over 100'000 km on his scud and cats are still perfect. IMHO 100 octane fuel is too high for the Scud.

17. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds like the exact problem I had with the "slow down light"

Don't know if it's like my 360, but on my 360 there are two green box sensors, one on each side of the engine. They are located under the engine panels. I would check those first, in fact it's an easy DIY. It's the part that the sensor plugs into. I think it's called the Cat ECU.

If you have a reader, you can find out which side of the engine is tripping the light. From your description, I would guess electrical too as it doesn't appear the car is going into "safe mode" and killing a bank. Anyway, if you know what side of the engine is causing the light, just switch the boxes. If it happens on the other side then you know it's the computer/ecu.

I spent much mechanics time trying to find this problem and got the same answer you did. Not an expensive fix here in the states as the part is like $500 and you can do it yourself. Check my profile for my detail on this. They are problematic and prone to fail.

18. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Does this problem only occur when using the high octane fuel?

Does this problem only occur when running the car hard on track?

The most common causes for this warning light are

1. Faulty thermocouple
    2. Misfire (faulty plug / coil / other)

Have you determined that one or other of the Cats actually is overheating? Can you see it glow brightly in the dark?

If not actually overheating it's probably the thermocouple.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good advice! Something that might help diagnose, which I take to the track with me:

Amprobe IR-730 Infrared Thermometer, -26F to 2282F, 30:1: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

They have cheaper ones also, but the range is not as good. Obviously many options out there. Also good for checking tires, brakes, etc.

20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Thanks guys.

No, sometimes this happens also when I stay in traffic jams and the outside temperatures are high.

I have replaced the spark plugs 1000 kms ago and the work of the engine is just like it should be. I don't think there are any misfires.

In Europe the lowest octane fuel you can get is 95. However, I know, that the higher the octane is, the better is the ignition and the burning in the cylinders.

I only use Shell V-Power Racing fuel, which is advertised as a fule exactly for cars like this.

21. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You really need to determine whether this is a false alarm or not. The IR gun will be a good investment and has many uses. A quick look under the engine hood at night time will also be very effective but less scientific. Faults in the temperature sensing hardware are common on the 360s, a little less so on the 430 but as the fleet ages ........

If it is a misfire you would probably feel/hear it in the performance of the car so I lean towards a false alarm, probably as a result of bad thermocouple.

Do check though, if they are overheating they are damaging themselves and perhaps are also a fire risk for the car.

22. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    You are absolutely right. But I will first send the car to Ferrari Romania, because there are some errors for sure. Let's see what they will say. My mechanic said, that his diagnosys system has found some errors, but he doesn't want to make any actions, that he is unsure about.

However, if now, or in the future I need new cats, is there a really good non-OEM option, that will not trigger any CELs?

23. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Today I have spoken to my mechanic again and he said some very strange things to me.

First of all he said, that the errors he got were related to the exhaust valves and second - he said, that my car doesn't have thermocouples.

I have looked at the headers today and he is right - on the place, that usually the thermocouple stays, there is a metal cap. And it looks like it is original, doesn't look like something, that is custom made.

However, when connected to the diagnosys, the car does show the cats temperature in real time....

24. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sadly I am not totally familiar with the full workings of the Scud but..... check out the diagram linked below and specifically item #19, of which there are two ...

Ferrari 430 Scuderia Parts : Table 18 - RACING EXHAUST SYSTEM

I wonder is he perhaps looking at Nut #5 and gasket #4 and mistakenly thinking that is where the thermocouple ought to be? There's normally the likes of what you describe for the purpose of gas analysis.

25. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, for sure I was the one, who mistakenly looked at this nut #5. :)

But a fellow member has just PMd me, saying that he had a similar problem and his was related to the cat monitoring system ECUs, so we will probably check these too, before sending the car to Romania.

thanks again!