Can i mix tires? | FerrariChat

Can i mix tires?

Discussion in '360/430' started by vchoi, May 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vchoi

vchoi Rookie

May 20, 2015
    Hi
    just wnat to know if its ok to mix brands of tires?>
    fronts are continental, continental dont produce rears anymore...325.25.20
    can i use something else in rear? any harm?
    thanks

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No problem at all as long as you dont plan to drive it! If you do, get a proper set of matching tires!
    Cheers

3. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar

Lol

4. s.freid

s.freid Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Seattle / NYC
    Lol - not unless you want to have uneven wear and a load of problems down the road. Unmatched tires on any car aren't good... on a Ferrari you can imagine it is much worse.

5. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes you can. As long as the fronts match and the rears match you will be just fine.

6. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    LOL!!!!!!!

7. acmw

acmw Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2006
    Nj
    Full Name:
    Alex
    you can do it. will just look tacky on mixed matched tires, if anyone notices lol

8. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    These cars are hyper sensitive to tires and pressures, types etc. I wouldn't mix.

9. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I would not do it...

10. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mixed matched brand tyres on a road car will look real bad, however on the race track it can work were a soft compound on the front and a hard real is needed you do what works for the car/drivers needs at the time.

11. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I would def question the quality of ownership of you plan to sell the car in the future.

12. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
  13. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'll sell you some used brake fluid.

14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As noted. Can you and Should you are different questions. You can but it isn't a wise choice.

15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have the same problem. Back tyres are shot, fronts are good. Need back tyres only. 275/40/18 P.Zeroes not available any more. What do you do?

16. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 gandalfthegray., May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    You know the answer, you just want to here something else. :)

You replace all 4 with a new matched set. Trust me, I just went through this frustration. I have Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires on the rear with less than 100 miles and I need fronts. Tires are discontinued so I just ordered a new set. I was going to get the Pilot Super Sports but they're back ordered so I tried a set of the Ventus V-12 Evo 2's. They scored really well in the comparison test although not as good as the Pilot Sports. I don't track my cars so I'm not pushing it to the extremes. I think they will work well for me and if they don't well then Pilot SS's are next.

17. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Better safe than sorry.... or Don't be penny smart and dollar fool....
    Pick one.

18. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Seriously - sell your car, you can pick up a nice prius and mix and match to your hearts content. think of all the cash you'll have in the bank.

There should be a test before you can buy a Ferrari.

19. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar

LMAO.......Lets be nice he just asked a question.

20. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    To be fair - it is not like it will cause a breakdown. but... on a 400hp car that has an even weight distribution, it doesn't seem like a great idea to mess with the handling characteristics in a random way.

21. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There are some here that are just a bit full of themselves.

Those that have poo-pooed the OP's question, let me ask y'all: if you dont use your car on the track, if you generally drive your car in and around the speed limit AND you take care when road conditions are not ideal...what is exactly wrong with mixing fronts and rears.

I do agree that when it comes to selling, having mixed set of tires on your car will likely raise a red flag with many buyers.

22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The back ones do the driving, the front ones get pushed along for the ride. The front and back tyres are doing 2 completely different jobs. They are also different diameters, widths and profiles. So why would they need to be the exact same make and model of tyre?

23. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    The tires are designed as different sizes, to fit the car. I've changed my sizes, knowing what the change in vehicle dynamics would be... But your logic (which for some reason makes me think of the first cars ever built) discounts that the tires work in turning the car... More specifically with different sidewall characteristics, and thinking about the amount of tread touching the ground at any time, and the compound of the tire... You could change the oversteer or understeer, potentially significantly. I believe it's more important for our cars since they are more balanced, and have a good amount of horsepower. So... If you are driving like a retiree, then maybe it's fine. Maybe it's fine if you figure it out right, or get lucky. But maybe if you punch it to hear the roar, with the wheel not just straight, and some morning moisture on the ground, you might find yourself on YouTube.

24. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    If I were buying 4 new tyres they would be all the same. I have put different tyres on the front to back on hipo cars and it can improve the way the car rides, steers, grips and handles. Get the combination wrong and you will mess everything up. Don't swap directional for non or asymmetric for non etc and so long as you are buying a similar top rated tyre... I'll let you know, I'm about to do it soon.

25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    +1

Funny how people automatically assume it is bad. Just as getting it wrong can change the balance for the worst getting it right can improve it. Same can be said of changing camber roll bar stiffness etc.