New to Ferrari advice or guidance greatly appreciated | FerrariChat

New to Ferrari advice or guidance greatly appreciated

Discussion in '360/430' started by ak_in_ca, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    So I am new to the forum and Ferrari in general. I have always had a complete love affair with Ferrari and a 360 was my dream car growing up. Well I have finally reached the point in my life where I am financially able to purchase my first Ferrari and find myself in a quandry. I have heard the 430 really blows the doors off the 360 in terms of performance maintenance etc... yet still retains that 360 look that I love so much.

I am leaning toward purchasing the 430 coupe however; the reviews for the 458 are incredible. I'm not overly in love with the looks of the 458 over the 430 but the performance difference is noticeable to say the least. The car is just going to be a fun weekend toy and date night with the wife kind of car. Would I be better off shelling out the extra $75k and getting myself into the 458 market or will I be perfectly happy with a really nice low mile 430. Just bought the wife a new BMW M5 for a daily driver if that matters much.

Also is there any specific things I should be looking for when looking in the pre-owned marked for a 430 or 458? Thank you very much for any advice or opinions

2. Chrisnlbc

Chrisnlbc Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    If price is not an object, get the newest car that draws your attention. Since I'm not rich by any means, I got my 360 because it was the most modern car I could budget for and still have that look I love! Would I have rather had a 458 italia, hell yes!!! Just need someone else to make that payment :) LOL

3. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    Easy.. Simple.. 458.. And this is the 360/430 section ( just an observation from your post)

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Coming from a 430 spider to a 458 spider in April IMHO it's worth the difference by a long shot. Also , I've never seen a Brinks vehicle behind a hearse. No time like the present.

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Money aside, I would opt for the 458, unless you are looking for a 6-speed manual in a 430. I think the dual clutch in the 458 is more reliable than the F1 in the 430. People will tell you that the 430 is a more analog driving experience than the 458, but the 458 is awesome looking and the performance is definitely stellar.

I bought a 6-speed F430 coupe recently but, ironically, I'm thinking of changing over to a DCT open-air car instead. The F430 coupe is a little too race-car like for my wife to be comfortable in ... I'm sure she would be completely terrified of a 458.

6. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Great expression, am planning on using it. :)

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Have at it bro !

8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    If you can afford a 458 and you want it, go for it. In saying that you must have been able to afford a 360 some time ago. I can't believe you didn't get one as soon as you could. I did!

9. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    What are you looking for in your car? Drive them and compare. I would personally not get a 458. A CS or Scud would be a more likely choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    :)

My dad use to always say "You'll never see a hearse with a luggage rack."

11. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    458 no doubt over a 430 if money not an issue.
    I have a scud. I wont trade it for a 458 but would trade in for a Speciale.

12. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    360 is great car I loved every minute I owned mine( 2yrs)
    F430 is a great car also and yes, I loved every minute I owned that too.
    458 is next.....But so glad I had a 360 & F430 first!! Ferrari ownership at its best!

Enjoy your search.....

13. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    Car is just going to be a weekend getaway, date night fun car. Cashing out some property investments. I can easily afford the 458 in cash would just sacrifice a few other big vacations etc... What should I be looking for with buying used

14. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    And a big thank you to everyone for the comments, I appreciate all the info I can get

15. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would do the 458. Check their forum for things to watch for. You will learn a lot. I have no idea but I would think depreciation in the 458 would be greater than in the F430. I don't know if that matters to you.

I got a 360 because that's the newest car I could talk my wife into. It was my first sports car and I have loved every minute of it. (minus replacing the clutch)

16. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Rookie

May 15, 2015
    I guess I'll have to test drive the 430 and 458 and let that make my decision for me

17. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar

Test Drive Scud and 458.

18. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    Agree on Scud. If the Scud does not do it for you, don't mess around and go right for the 458.

19. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    For some reasons, 458 looked like Vette Stingray and that stopped me from getting it. Of course more dinero. I would wait till next model after 458 and go there. 430 spider is just full of fun and classic. 458's interior is compeletely different and it is the beginning of the new era for Ferrari IMO.

20. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar
    Looks like New corvette from front. Whenever I spot 458 I need to look carefully always to make sure is it 458 or Corvette.

21. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    IMHO, the new Corvette is trying to look like the 458, not the other way around....

Cheers
    FN

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would buy the 430 and enjoy it, then grab a 458 in a couple of years. The 458 is still depreciating, on a faster scale then the 430. Either way you will be enjoying a fine car.

23. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Maybe a new pair of glasses are in order . :)

24. Nrajabali

Nrajabali Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2014
    Ca
    Full Name:
    Nizar

Lol 😀

25. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    I own a 430 and while I loveeeee the car, I live in fear of a catastrophic transmission failure or actuator melt down - a costly fix and frequent horror story topic on these forums. Generally speaking, this is not a concern in the 458. 430 also rides low and "rougher" whereas the 458 is light years ahead - more supple suspension and confident on the bad roads in the northeast of that's an issue for you (in other words with these terrible roads I would feel a little less stressed driving the 458). If you have the money get a 458! I would ;)