What do you do in traffic? | FerrariChat

What do you do in traffic?

Discussion in '360/430' started by spikes360, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Recently I was stuck on a tollway and going only 5 - 0 mph for what it seemed like an hour. I have a 360 F1. I couldn't get off and all I can think of is what I'm doing to my clutch! I just had it replaced. So, what do you do? I tried coasting but that didn't last long, starting out in 2nd but that seemed like it was too much drag. 1st was difficult to just move it along for a few feet. Then I tried to keep and interval but cars would just fill-in. Very frustrating.

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes very frustrating. If I think the traffic will be bad (peak times) the Ferrari stays at home. But hey we can all get caught out.

3. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    Get a daily driver where you don't have to worry about your poor clutch.. Just my opinion

4. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Frustrating here as well. What I do now is I drive my spare cars when I know I'm gonna be hitting "rush hour" traffic.

If I get stuck in traffic in mty Rrai though which haplened a couple lf times I don't start in second. It will cause more stress to the clutch than driving it normally from N to 1st.

5. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    I have a 3 pedal so I just smile for the camera.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Even in 3 pedal it sucks. I try my darndest to find an open spot and go.. or leave earlier to avoid traffic.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Just leave a gap and when you move..... squeeze the throttle so that the clutch is fully released. Where comes from slipping the clutch. When I drive, it's either on or off.

8. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs

This is what I do, based on suggestions on the forum. Only problem is that drivers behind you don't expect the behavior....I worry about getting rear ended.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do this too BUT once engaged, the car will idle and stay engaged until you touch the brake. Idle speed is maybe 5 mph. Leave the gap and use the gap to minimize clutch engagements. This keeps you moving and the behavior is more similar to what others expect.

10. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    yup. same thing. tail gating the driving in front doesn't get me there any faster but only more wear and tear on the brakes and drive train

11. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes I do have a daily - nice MB E-350. But it was a nice day (NW of Chicago) and I wanted to go for a nice spirited ride. And it was for about 20 mins. Unfortunately I found out that there was an accident which involved a child being thrown from the vehicle who died. They pretty much closed the tollway. I feel bad now that I was complaining about wear on my clutch!

12. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    I put 10000 miles on my 360 with zero wear in the clutch reading. Although most of the miles were highway, I got stuck many times in traffic even though I tried to leave home early and work late to avoid burning up the clutch or getting rear ended in traffic. I stopped worrying about it and just drove it like any other car in stop and go traffic and turns out the clutch was just fine. I also used to live in a steep hill and had to back out a little bit onto the hill to turn the car around - apparently again it made no difference. I think the clutch is more durable than we fear.

13. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    And the same thing with me - leave a gap then get the clutch to engage as quickly as possible then crawl forward at idle speed. I take her out either early mornings or late at night so I seldom get caught in traffic but I live in LA so anything is possible at any time!!

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    use a lot of neutral and hope there is a downward slope. You can keep the car in 1st car while stopped and the clutch won't engage. Then give yourself about 4 car lengths, piss off the people behind you and then move forward

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Mike,

F1 clutches from my experience hate starting out in 2nd and reversing uphill. I try to avoid that whenever I can, and drive my F1 as closely to my 3 pedal as I can when stuck in traffic (I hate traffic and my smartphone is filled with apps to avoid it).

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

16. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    What's a traffic jam?

17. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL

18. asl911

asl911 Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Andy Lee
    I always put the car in neutral as soon as I stop and then I don't move again until there is significant amount of space to drive into. It generally pisses people of behind you but who cares?

19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    OP asked a great question. Answering with "get yourself a daily driver" is not an answer. We all (those who live in areas with traffic) get caught occasionally in a traffic jam. I hate when it happens but it does from time to time. The leaving a gap solution is what I do as well. Sometimes it gets you a honk from the tool behind you :)

20. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought the same about leaving a gap. That is what I thought was the best solution. I kind of take it a bit further and that is to give it a bit of gas then coast - in neutral - to the next stop. I also have a Harley and when I get caught up in traffic on a hot day that's what I do. If you know Harley's they run a bit hot especially that exhaust pipe just next to your left N*T!

21. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Turn off the part of your brain that is overly concerned about. Yes its traffic, Yes bad for clutch, but its just a car. Use it and enjoy it. I try to avoid traffic but if you use them you will get stuck at some point. I also leave a gap and if someone cuts in who cares, I'm driving a Ferrari.

Clutch - $5k vs not enjoying/driving the car...I know my answer.

22. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    good answer, and I am also pretty sure that just smashing the throttle to do a great 0-60 time is even worse than any traffic.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/243709-how-do-i-launch-360-modena-f1-2000-a.html

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I commuted for years in a stick 575, yes tough in traffic but in first without touching the gas you could cruise along at 7-10mph and a little faster in second so tried to minimize pumping the clutch by leaving a gap before moving as was suggested above. Now I commute in the F12 and I have to say in brutal traffic the double clutch is a huge improvement.

24. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So what's the best practice at a traffic light. Keep the tranny in gear (1st) with the clutch depressed OR in neutral and change to 1st as soon as the light turns green? Or it doesn't matter at all.

25. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    3 pedal - put it in N
    F1 - doesn't matter, no difference in wear