360 TCU 211023 Installed -very happy! | FerrariChat

360 TCU 211023 Installed -very happy!

Discussion in '360/430' started by jenglemn, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    My 2000 360 had the original TCU. After a recent clutch job, I decided to upgrade the TCU to #211023 which is the last OEM version for the car. The improvements are notable.

The slippage and lag during all gear changes is reduced significantly. On each gear change, when the clutch grabs, it is with the proper measured force, and is well balanced to the amount of throttle applied. The result is a forceful gear change and follow thru in all gears.

First gear takeoff is greatly improved, with less slippage and defined connection.

In sport mode the gear changes are much crisper, with throttle blips in upshift and downshift.

On aggressive shifts in sport mode there is no lag, and can be pretty harsh.

The best improvement is in automatic mode. The shifts are smooth, measured and regulated to a point that makes the car very usable in city driving. It no longer dumps into 6th gear, unless the speed asks for it. You can feather the throttle up to red line in each gear and the gear changes will respond to your throttle position better, and because the clutch engagement is vastly improved the result is a much better driving car.

Brian Crall sold and installed the unit for me for $3,200.00 His advice was to not to go with the Strad unit, as there have been some compatibility issues.

Anthony 360 F1 likes this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I did the same as you and it is great. I think the latest uses the same engagement profile as the CS TCU but you don't have the strange behaviors caused by the start button and a few other issues.

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Mine is a 2003 and it supposedly has the upgraded TCU version 2002+
    But I can tell you that auto mode is useless, it will go all the way to 6th and it will not downshift by pushing the throttle, unless you are coming to a stop it does exactly what you are complaining, so I guess mine although it has a "newer" version (vs 99-2001) it is not the most updated version that you have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Would be interested to know what the compatibility issues are ?

Many others have had CS TCUs fitted to their 360s, including myself 2.5 years ago.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Auto mode always short shifts and goes into a high gear quickly. It will downshift but you have to floor it, not just apply some more gas.

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I floored it today while going in 4th at around 30mph and nothing, no downshift, the car picked up speed so maybe that is why it didn't , maybe it will downshift if it is a higher gear and the car absolutely needs to do it, but by only flooring it it will not downshift to the lower gear.

7. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #7 Drestless, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    How can I tell from the part number if mine was upgraded by the previous owner to stradale TCU?

What involves in the process of swapping TCUs? Thanks!

8. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    In automatic mode the short shift issues are corrected. Now I can control the gear changes much better with the throttle. With the old unit, the shifts would go thru the gears with a boring predictability. Now I can hit the ranges all the way up, and acts more like a modern automatic transmission..which is nice. The old unit would downshift from 6th to 4th if you floored it, which I liked. The new unit will not shift down from 6th, unless I am going around 70, and will only go to 5th. So 0-120mph in auto mode is fun!

Around town I also use slippery mode. With the new unit the the shifts are extra short, the final power delivery in each gear change is reduced, the gear selection is stable to the speed, which makes for a smooth ride in stop and go traffic.

9. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I am confused, so it used to downshift if you floored it and now it doesn't, why is that better??
    And also I have been told by several mechanics (Ferrari dealers and indies) that I should drive the car in sport mode, that way the clutch slips as little as possible, it is my "personal opinion" that auto mode isn't the greatest way to preserve your clutch (although there has been numerous debates here about it) but I think that using slippery mode in a stop and go traffic will be really hard for the clutch, that "smoothness" you are referring will wear your clutch way faster.

10. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    I am writing to help others, not to debate.

11. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    And I am trying to understand why a car not downshifting by itself (in auto mode) is better than a car that does, you actually said that you "liked" that downshifting.
    Be careful with your clutch wearing faster by using the slippery mode in traffic, I am trying to help too

12. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    Just replace the unit behind the passengers seat, and have your mechanic guy program it and set the grab distance.

13. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    Okay exposing my ignorance again....what is slippery mode?? I thought I only had sport on or off and the option to shift auto or manual.

14. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    On the center console button 2. It is there for snowy wet take off and driving. You start off in second gear and the shift patterns are designed for slippery conditions. Some assume that it would be harder on the clutch. Taking off in 2nd is a bit harsher. I use all three modes at different times...manual paddle shift..auto...and slippery. None of the "clutch wear" opinions are quantified with any real data. I just figure i will put a clutch in it when it wears out.

15. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Question for those of you upgrading your TCU. Where do you purchase one, especially 211023, and does it have a warranty?

Thanks

16. jenglemn

jenglemn Rookie

Nov 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Engleman
    Mine was purchased from the local dealership.

17. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Contact ERIC355 on Ferrarichat. I picked up mine from him. He can also re flash an existing TCU with the stradale specs. As long as it's not a 99. Their TCU's are not re flashable.