Advice Needed! Check Engine Light- P1536- Camshaft Control Outlet | FerrariChat

Advice Needed! Check Engine Light- P1536- Camshaft Control Outlet

Discussion in '360/430' started by Cinque, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    #1 Cinque, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    In an episode of what appears to be new owner "hazing", as I am getting ready for my emissions test, I had a check engine light come up on my new to me F430. So I took it into my mechanic (a very knowledgeable and reputable independent Ferrari mechanic) and he read the fault as a P1536 - Camshaft control outlet bank 2. In an effort to remedy the situation he cleaned out the bank 2 sensor (which he found dirty with oil), blew it out, cleaned everything with an electrical cleaner, and the CEL went away. He even went as far as to run through the drive cycle (as I currently need this for the emissions test) and he was able to clear all the flags and he said the car ran great.

He thought he was good to go, shut the car off and started it again and now the CEL was back on. Same fault, P1536, but this time bank 1. So he went through the full cleaning the sensor process again but this time for bank 1. And basically the exact same result, after cleaning, CEL was off, ran drive cycle, cleared the flags for emissions, shut the car off, and upon restarting it the CEL was back on again, and again P1536!

My mechanic does not have an SD3 and thus he suggested at this point I take the car into the local Ferrari dealer to have them hook it up to the SD3 and diagnose the issue and find out what they would estimate to fix the issue.

Before I bring the car into the dealer I wanted to find out if perhaps any of the mechanics on fchat or mechanically savvy owners had any recommendations for other potential resolutions to this issue? I know the Check Engine Lights can show up for a variety of reasons and be pretty tempermental, but because of my pending emmisions test I have to get it resolved ASAP. I realize there is a wealth of knowledge in this community and am hoping somebody may be able to offer some solutions or ideas that perhaps my mechanic had not been aware of.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

104OCTANOS likes this.
  2. 104OCTANOS

104OCTANOS Rookie

May 16, 2013
    Hi Cinque, I'm Antonio from Spain, nice to greet you.
    I have the same problem on an F430 with code 1536 on bank 2.
    What was your problem and how did you solve it?
    I have changed the four rear sensors that it carries in the camshafts and it still fails
    thank you