Anyone lower the seating position in their scud? | FerrariChat

Anyone lower the seating position in their scud?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MaranelloDave, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The seats in my scud are mounted at the lowest position in the back (front is slightly raised to bend my legs). I have enough head room but I've always felt that I sit a little too high in the car (was reminded of this watching Chris Harris' new review of the 488, which he says has the same issue).

Has anyone modified their scud to sit lower? Last time I checked, there didn't seem to be much clearance left so simply drilling new holes in the brackets probably wouldn't do much. Would love to sit about an inch or two lower.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't think it is possible, especially an inch or two (that is a lot). I am going to raise the front of my seat one hole. It is in the stock position of lowest in rear and up one hole in front. Dealer said max change allowable is two holes front to back. Looks simple enough to accomplish...just need to find the time to do it.

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I adjusted my seats higher actually as it was too low. I bought different sockets in lowes. Very easy. there are 4 screws, 2 front side and 2 rear side. Unscrew them and adjust height of seats.

4. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Carbon fixed seats would maybe give the best results. I have looked and a decent one is around 5,000 USD.

5. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Could you provide more information on this? Have manual Daytona seats in my 430 and would like to raise them 1 -2 ". I am guessing they mount the same way. Thanks.

6. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    The easiest way for a scud, unscrew rails while seat is on it. There are 2 screws in front and 2 screws in rear rails. Then bring out the seats with rails intact.

While the seats are outside the car, the seats are attached with the rails/ brackets with another 4 screws. 2 front and 2 rear. Remove those then you are free to raise or lower the seats. Screw back the seats when you find the proper height then return the seats.

You buy those boxes of Allen wrenches because the screw type is weird to me. I had to buy 2 different types at lowes to find the right size.

7. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Easy to do. I am 5'8" ands I raised the front and back to the max so I could see the front of the car. As a added bonus it is easier to get in and out of the car and I have plenty of head room.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Not possible without doing major surgery on the seat, the floor, or both.

9. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I will take a look. Guessing can't be done with standard seats. Asked the dealer about it and they said seats could be sent out for spacers. Can you see the adjustment point with seats in the car?

10. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I lowered the seats in my Scud.

Each seat rail was mounted with two aluminum blocks on the car floor (the blocks were riveted to the rails). I have removed these blocks, that gave me approx 2cm.

But obviously not each Scud has these alu blocks...

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Any pics sir?

12. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    I had the same done by the dealer. Would still like it a bit lower with more angle but seems to be as good as it gets. While we're at it I'd like the steering wheel to extend out more, be round and not have 3 different surfaces. The rest is all good.

13. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    oki, I will upload tomorrow some pics.

14. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #14 redcaruser, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here we go.

You can see the eight aluminum blocks (I have lowered also the passenger seat).
    The blocks are exactly 2cm high (0.8in).
    Now the seat rails are mounted directly on the car floor.
    With a few shims in the front I have set the seat rail slightly oblique.
    It goes without saying that some shorter screws must be used.

Seats lower and Scud lighter, everything is perfect!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great info, Daniel. Thanks for sharing. Hoping the US cars have these same blocks!

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #16 MaranelloDave, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    ...otherwise it seems you can adjust the seat in four different angles. This can not be done in my Scud.

Do you have the seat with harness belts installed?

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the pics! I'm the same as Dave - I have the driver adjustment device and no spacers...

19. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nope, just 3-point belt.

Had a great last day in the Scud at Road Atlanta today. Will miss that track! Scud was amazing as always. Gave several folks rides and they loved it. One guy could hardly contain himself.

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My seat is also the same....also set up with rear at lowest position, and front one notch up, like pictured. My car is having some services performed and asked dealer to raise front one more notch...they were not sure if that is possible, but would try. Anyone know for certain? I thought two position separation was okay, that was the max allowed?

21. oebb

oebb Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    Sweden
    Height adjustable seats were an option. I read somewhere before that even in the lowest position these seats sits higher than the non-adjustable seats (with the blocks still in place).

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    hmmm interesting I never had the blocks on my (Swiss) SCUD seat rails. Think my seats are set up on front hole 3 (2 notches up) and hole 1 (lowest) at the rear. The drivers seat adjustable mounting brackets were a zero cost optional extra.

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Checked last night my drivers seat is just 1 notch up at the front (not 2)but that feels perfect. The passenger seat does have the 2cm aluminium blocks, I will try just removing the rear and keeping the front blocks

24. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I'm curious about your feedback Richard.

I had doubts that the tension on the seat rails will be too high if I remove only the rear blocks.

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed, unless the front block is milled with a slope/angle to it, I would be concerned with causing a bend in the rail, such that it prevents the smooth movement of the seat when trying to slide it forward or back.