I hate Pirelli tires | FerrariChat

I hate Pirelli tires

Discussion in '360/430' started by sanfran, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    My tires have 1,800 miles on them. They were made 23/11. They are all cracked on the side and between the tread blocks. They are also hard.

When I get off the line softly and then floor it after the clutch fully engaged - in RACE mode - my car goes entirely sideways. Absolutely no grip.

My tires are shot after 1,800 miles and there is no warranty.

I have had it.

I will never buy a Pirelli tire again.

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've been impressed with Pirelli's before (for grip) but I didn't like how hard they went after they heat cycled out. Its not just about the number of miles, its the number of heat cycles too so the treat depth may look ok but they are hard and have little grip. Some of the more sports oriented tires use compounds which heat cycle out after a ridiculously small number of heat cycles (some as low as 30-40).

I personally think for the majority of people using fast cars on the road the Michellin Pilot Super Sports (MPSS) have proven themselves to be excellent choice in both the wet and dry, however unusure if they are available these days in F430 fitment so you should do some research first. I'm sure others will chime in.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Your tires are four years old but never get used and you expect them still to perform at their best ?

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #4 DK308, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    +1

It also depends on how they are stored and cared for. If they sit on concrete/cement, they will dry out faster. And if they are only driven 450 miles a year and taken to high temps on each outing - yes that'll kill any tyre.

If you want tyres to survive that long under those conditions, each time you store the car for more than 2 weeks perform these steps. Remove them or put the car on stands, wipe them down with a tyre care product all over, pack them in black bags and store them at room temp. Filling them with dry nitrogen is a good idea as well. When all this is said and done, depending on conditions and variables, it might not even be enough.

It's a lot easier to use the car or just accept the fact that tyres under those conditions have a short lifespan.

5. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    You must be confused, and I say that because you are NorCal by name, but located in SoCal? No wonder you are cranky! Come back north :)

Annnnyhooo my trofeo r's seem like pretty awesome tires so far! What wind of tire do you have?

6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    As mentioned before your tires are dated and may be approaching a safety standpoint even through very limited milage. Mine currently are at the five year mark, ride remans good,do not trust them for spirited driving and will be replaced shortly with probable Michelins. Personally do not like the P-Zero's!

7. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I'm personally of the opinion that Pirelli has been coasting on its brand name for 30 years. (I think some Formula 1 drivers might agree.) They had the original P Zero for the Ferrari F40 and they've been cashing in on that success with the P Zero line ever since. Michelin surpassed them long ago as the premium performance tire and plenty of second tier brands offer better performance at a better price.

8. MagicHorse

MagicHorse Rookie

Sep 19, 2014
    My Pirellis got terribly hard after 1 year and 8K miles. Put on PSS and made a world of difference. Never going back to Pirellis.

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I hear the Trofeos are quite good. I'm now thinking of getting them when I get to LA. Not much rain or cold temps to worry about there.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Pirelli's ... no way .... never again ! MPSS are great !

11. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    yep, MPSS is also my choice.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Advan AD08R

13. mkw

mkw Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    #13 mkw, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    tire experts say even storing summer tires over winter for a few months will cause the rubber to break down / oxidize from interaction with air - worse if polluted -and advise putting them in air tight storage bags where the air has been sucked out . So imagine 4 yr old car-mounted tires rarely used ( normal regular usage allows the tread compounds and its component oils to circulate as well as keeping the belts from drying and separating internally in microscopic areas to maintain some semblence of suppleness and control )

simple long story short, change tires every two yrs for garage queens of any sort, especially powerful cars whose existence is to go to the limits on roads

a small expense , relatively speaking

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    From what I understand, modern performance tires have a limited shelf life, no matter the milage. A four year old sticky tire is probably about done.

15. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Thank you all for your input.

I also have a 2011 Porsche Turbo S. Used to run Michelin Pilot Sport 2 on Turbos. Now run Super Sports.

I can tell you that none of my Michelin tires has EVER gotten hard or shown any cracks. The fronts on the Turbos always last a long time. They last about five years and stay sticky.

My opinion is that Pirelli is ^%&*($@ as a tire manufacturer. They never get a penny of my money again.

16. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Not that streetable - rocks stick in them and then every one of them gets kicked up. Ok for getting to/from the track.

17. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    My experience with Pirelli is they drive great but wear out very quickly. I had them on my Porsche a few times.

I use Bridgestone RE-11 now on the 430.

18. skip737

skip737 Karting

Dec 31, 2008
    Lodi, New York
    Full Name:
    WJH
    Last fall, I replaced the PZeros that were completely shot at about 10,000 miles with new Michelin Pilot Super Sports in stock sizes 235 and 285/35-19 on my 16M. No comparison. The Michelins have been superior in every way, especially in the rain. Yes, I have driven the 16M in the rain several times. It's hard to avoid the rain completely in the northeast in the summer. Surprise! It didn't melt and the top didn't leak a drop.

19. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Michelin is the way to go. French powaaaaaa :D

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not a fan of Pirelli's either, but you have to drive on them to keep them fresh. The tire compound affects how quickly, etc. Also, if the tires are near a source of ozone, they can get destroyed very rapidly.

MPSS for the street..going to pilot sport cup 2's soon for the track.

21. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yes, performance tires (really, any tires) age due to use and environmental factors. But Pirelli has a horrible reputation for longevity. I think there are better choices for a street tire that can last more than a season.

22. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    It will only get worst. Pirelli was recently bought by the Chinese.

23. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I'm liking my Hankook evo2's so far. Car even seems to ride nicer.

24. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Over the past some 20 years or more, I have tried many tires from many brands on my F-cars. I just not like the Pirelli tires in comparison to Michelins, Bridgestones, and or Yokohamas.

My favorites are RE-11s, AD08R, and PSS...

Alex

25. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yeah, even Hankooks can be had for half the price of Pirellis and they last longer and ride better.