One year update / Maintenance review / Questions | FerrariChat

One year update / Maintenance review / Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by robertpel9, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I bought my 1999 360 F1 Red/Tan one year ago. At the time it had just under 17k miles on it and was a super clean car that just had its annual service and had a major the year before. It has all records documented and all books, tools, etc

In the year i have had it i have put almost exactly 3k miles on it. It's now at 19,980 miles. It's been perfect, not an issue to speak of and I have enjoyed it tremendously. It's my first Ferrari and honestly I felt like the experience was too good to be true. The car is pretty much fully optioned out (Challenge Grill, Shields, Electric Seats, Full leather interior, Seat Piping, Deviated Stitching, red/tan, etc) I bought it for $74k and like i said its been great and i felt i got excellent value for the purchase price.

Today she had her first annual service under my ownership over at RMT Motorsports in Yorba Linda CA (Also too goo to be true, i live 5 miles from his shop and the team there is fantastic). He said at the end the car was super clean and about as nice of an example as you can find, no leaks no abnormal wear, no nothing. Over the next year or so,however, it will need the following:

Brakes are at 20% front and rear (Estimate was around $3400)

Clutch is at 85% but he said it is measuring at 20.5mm and will need to be replaced soon potentially like next week(estimate around $5,000). Interestingly enough when i bought it 3k miles ago it was at 76% so in 3k i have only advanced it 9%, does that seem typical.

Belt Service will be due next spring ($1650) as it will be at the three year mark

So in essence in the next year the car will need barring any other issues about $10k in work done to it.

It's pristine cosmetically inside and out and as I said it just has been great. I also dont care for the 430. If i move up it would be to a 458 when the prices recede more.

Just looking for input and experience from former F-chatters. How has maintenance been. My first year has been a freebie of sorts. If i look at a three year cycle I think i am doing ok barring a major failure as two years from now i will have spent in my three years of ownership

3300 in annual services
    1650 in belt service
    3400 in brakes
    5000 for a new clutch

The car would then have belts with two years left on them, an essentially new clutch and brakes and a fresh annual service. Basically it would be a turnkey car with about 25k miles on it at that point. Total in maintenance = $13,350 / 3 = $4,450 per year. Add in incidentals and call it $5k a year

How does this line up with your experiences

Thanks in advance,
    Robert

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have read here that as the clutch reaches the last of it's usefulness they wear faster. Good thing is that once you do it you should be good for the next 15+ years.

I don't understand the brake estimate. If only the pads are worn then you can replace them yourself for a few hundred. Brakes are simple, they are that way for a reason. They need to work, everytime!

The rest looks like regular dealer pricing to me. If you drive like a mature person you may be able to go a little farther with the belt change interval. Some guys go 4 or 5 years between changes.

3. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    RIP OFF. Brakes at $3,400??? I did mine myself (just alike a Toyota truck) and replaced the brake fluid for about $450. Very easy to do.

Clutch cost me $3,800 (at the dealership).

I see you are in CA, and the cost of living is more expensive than North Carolina, but those prices are high.

4. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yeah the brakes dont make sense to me either. I priced out the parts myself and even with the rotors that i was told it needs it should still be at less than $1500, in his defense he was at his phone and said he needed to get an estimate, just threw a ballpark out.

The place the serviced the car before i bought it was a little cheaper, but they also cut some corners it seems when i called both and asked what the services involved part by part. Plus RMT is a 10 minute drive from my house so convenience is definitely a factor.

The brakes will likely be a DIY jobs after looking at it. Blets are belts, it is what it is. I'd rather just change them at 3, i think its better for reslae and piece of mind. 5k for a clutch sucks. The old place does it for about 4 but the do not replace all the arts randy does and i figure i am good for a long time if it is done right.....

Loving the car but looking at 10k in repairs on a 70k car sucks LOL

5. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Totally agree with you. Seems like the only way to beat the stench of that is to be a long term owner and learn how to do the basics yourself and then take the hit at the dealer when you absolutely have to. Then it seems to pencil out better. Couple of grand would get you a nice lift in your garage if you have the space. That's my problem, I don't have the space...yet!

6. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Brakes are what struck me as strange as well. I'd like to see that "brake" down. Seems like expensive for a clutch at an indy as well, but that's less informed.

7. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    OK he was wrong on the brakes, he said i cna even bring my own parts. he does charge $500 for labor to do all 4 wheels, rotor and pads and bleed the system. That is what it is but i can bring my own parts.

The clutch includes the throwout bearing and the F1 Sensor. He said others may do it cheaper and not replace those two items. I called around and that proved to be the case. He said i could most likely get away without the sensor but considering the labor that goes into getting in there he considered it safe insurance. He said the TO bearing should always be changed when doing the clutch.

Do you guys agree??

All in all i was very happy with the service. I called Ferrari of Newport, Beverly Hills and Scottsdale and all were near 7k for the clutch, around 3500 for the major and 3500-4000 for brakes

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The comments about the TO bearing and position sensor are correct. $10K isn't uncommon and don't worry, the overestimate on the brakes will be eaten up by something else. In reality, you can expect to get an 8k-10K bill every 3-5 years (averaging around 3K per year). The ones in between are much less so it balances out.

9. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Kevin (post number 5) is correct. Part of the fun is learning about the car and how it operates and how to fix minor things.

The (ahem) mistake on the brake quote is a serious red flag. Seems to me he was seeing how uninformed you may be allowing him to make a quick hustle.

You really do need to start learning about the car and how to work on it or you will be constantly opening your wallet.

Here is an example. Suddenly your car starts misfiring. You bring it to the mechanic and he starts throwing parts at it. First new Coils (still misfires), then new plugs (still misfires), then he replaces both MAFS and finally the car runs the way it should.

Now if you took the time to read the numerous posts about misfires, you get a code reader (which you should have anyway) and read which cylinders were misfiring. Then switch the mafs from one side to the other and see if the misfires changes sides. Then you would go on EBAY and purchase a Bosch MAF out of Germany (4 day delivery for $189) and replace the bad MAF. You just saved yourself several thousand dollars and learned a lot about your car.

10. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes i agree. I would never just drop my car off or throw parts at things. In my younger years i was into corvettes and learned how to do most basic work myself and even when i needed a mechanic i was able to tell him pretty much exactly what was wrong and how to fix it, just did not have the time, tools, or experience. The corvette forum was invaluable in learning all the ins and outs

I think my Ferrari mechanic is super honest, he told me he needed to look stuff up, i had just asked for a ballpark. Now his new brake price is still too high, he said he has no issue with me bringing my own parts and charges $500 for labor. I'll likely just do the brakes myself as they seem like any other car

I think his prices for the clutch and the belt services are right in line with most independents and the shop is well known here, the work is done right and the lot is full of cars including many from out of state being serviced. I can save a few hundred here and there by going to places that dont replace the amount of parts he does in his services (like the F1 sensor with a clutch job) but i'd rather it be done right less than 5 miles from home than to cart it all over L.A. trying to save a buck or two.

Hav put another 200 miles on the clutch and she is still kicking. THanks for all the input guys, i really do appreciate it. Heres to the next year being just as fun as the first year

11. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I just took delivery of a 2000 360 with full history. I went through all the receipts yesterday and the grand total is running about $5k/yr. Your car seems right in line with that figure.

Regarding the code reader mentioned above. What is the part and where can I get one? Thanks.

12. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Bear in mind also that if you were to move the car on (to someone who checks in out properly) it's value will be determined by the works which will shortly require doing. On that basis you may as well bite the bullet and enjoy the car.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    $1650 for belts (every three year item) is low and really a very small amount for annual costs.

$5000 for a clutch is for the minimal clutch job. Goes up to $10,000 if fly wheel, yada yada. Even with F1, you are 20,000 miles most likely, so the "annual cost" will depend upon your mileage.

$800 for "some fluids" and $1800 for "all fluids and filters" is the range for "annual service" that I've incurred and seen from others.

Tires.

etc etc

360 is a pretty "reasonable" (i know, i know) ferrari to maintain...

Now F1 problems...ugh...some (many?) folks are starting to (properly?) think of these as wear items...

14. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Every time I hear these numbers, I'm so glad I grew up broke and learned to do my own work.

Every Ferrari I have had has been very reliable and the service work pretty straight forward. All cars have their quirks in engineering. With Ferrari it helps if you can reason in Italian! :)

In the 5 years that I have had the CS, its just been fluids, filters, belts, bearings and some garage time.

The worst was figuring out that the clutch position sensor had gone, and then the gymnastics to replace it. There was also a hot start issue and charging issue that I narrowed down to a couple of relays that once the parts were cross referenced cost less than $10 each.

These cars don't have to cost a fortune to maintain or service. But I think some carry that as a badge of honor. I would rather have a track day! :)

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    #15 netman, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I use Randy and the team at RMT for all of my cars. Superb work at great prices. I did my own four wheel brake job back in 2011, and then the parts alone were over 2000.00 including discount. Randy gave me the pointers to do the job myself, right. BTW when it comes to brakes, do replace the rear e-brake pads with factory Brembo. They alone are almost 600.00. I have included the invoicing from Ricambi to make my point. To come here and discuss "ballpark" figures is not right. Maybe since he worked on your car, your car need other items like brake lines, hold down kits, etc..

I also included a copy of a dealer flyer, notice the circled fine print.

As to the 450.00 brake job, hat was in no way anything more that a swap of pads and fluid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think he is great and have no issues with the prices or the service, my thread here was a plus for him as again i think the team at RMT is fantastic.

Also after researching parts myself it seems that the $2400 is really not bad for rotor and pads on all corners. am i missing something here??

17. td80

td80 Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave M.
    +1 for Randy and RMT being a great and honest independent shop.

When you find an honest mechanic, it is like striking gold, especially in the expensive realm of exotics and European marques.

I have found his quick mental estimates to be conservative, he clearly communicates, he tries not to cut corners unless the customer requests it, and he doesn't bait and switch. On top of all that he lets you use your own parts! Thus I find there are "no surprises" when the bill comes along.

Just my unsolicited opinion as I hate to see him being bad mouthed by people (not the original poster) who haven't actually worked with him before...

18. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I was perturbed by the rip off, red flag, and quick hustle comments. Just because you swap a set of pads does not equate to a full brake job.

19. robertpel9

Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just to be clear the full brake job was 4 new rotors, all new pads and a full flush and ebrake service

Who has the specs on when rotors need to be swapped out. Mine have 20k on them, no vibration or wobble at all etc.

I was shocked to see the cost of rotors as on the surface there doesnt appear to be abything that special about them

20. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    If you don't mind "tinkering" on your car, you can replace pads at all four corners (assuming the rotors and e-brakes are fine) for one-tenth of that cost, with a little sweat equity.

The pads are super easy to change on four-piston Brembo calipers. It will take you longer to jack up the car and remove the wheel, than it will to replace the pads, thanks to two pins on each caliper which hold the pads in place.

I personally like Porterfield R-4S pads and have used them in the Brembos on my NSX, E550, 435 and 360.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    HA!....sage advice and just look at his avatar!!! Nice.

22. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Do your rotors have grooves, discoloration due to hot spots, are rubber brake lines in good shape, do the e-brake pads have life left in them. Even if the e-brake pads do have life left in them, but the rotors are grooved, you will need to replace them as well.