Scud vs Speciale | FerrariChat

Scud vs Speciale

Discussion in '360/430' started by stradman, Jun 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hi all,
    Just interested to hear from anyone who has good experience with both of these cars as to which they prefer-irrespective of appearance as that is always very subjective....
    I don't have any experience so would like to hear from those that do....

2. alxforschnr

alxforschnr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Alx
    Two different cars. Spec would kill the Scud in any type of race. Scud has a certain feel that the Spec can't match.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Assuming the driver knows what he's doing. 99% of the guys posting of FChat would get their asses handed to them in a race driving a Speciale if the driver of the Scud were a pro.

Can you tell I can't stand car owners that rattle off specs?

It's like sucking at golf and thinking a new set of clubs will change all of that.

4. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    What if I buy new clubs and openly acknowledge a weakness for shiny objects? 😁

Both cars are quite fast. I haven't driven a speciale. I do not know if it's as big a step from a standard 458 as a scud is from a standard 430.

A pro vs someone without race experience really isn't fair. But I know what you mean.

5. Lawin

Lawin Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Larry Nguyen
    Scud is more fun on the street as it has a bit more character, especially with that awesome single clutch transmission. Speciale on the street is relatively tame at legal speeds as it is much more compliant, but on track is really incredible. On track, I would take a Speciale all day over the Scud.

Hope that helps.

6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #6 freshmeat, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Objective driving observations:

• The specialé is very easy to drive at the limit, the scuderia is not so easy
    • The specialé is faster in both a straight line and on-track in equal hands
    • The SSC in a specialé is just otherworldly and flatters a driver of any skillset

Despite all the above, I subjectively still don't want one...also, I observed first hand that a base 458 w similar cup 2 tires was matching lap times with a Speciale around Sonoma.

Kudos to Ferrari marketing...oh and Michelin ;)

Subjective driving observations:

• The scuderia is much more of an event to drive and just even look at. Just look at the bare, purpose-built spartan interior of one...
    • The noise, nuff said
    • Gearbox is not DSG, but that little kick between shifts is simply phenomenal

7. frank320

frank320 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Watchung NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #7 frank320, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    This is exactly how I feel with regards to Scuderia versus Challenge Stradale comparisons. Word for word. Just replace the above by swapping Speciale to Scuderia and replacing Scuderia with Challenge Stradale.

Sorry, a little off topic in terms of comparison, but can't help seeing the similarities here.

Funny...

8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #8 freshmeat, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    I'm
    Having come from a CS there is a lot more things objectively similar in both ethos and visceral feel between CS & Scuderia than there is Scuderia to Specialé unfortunately, so I don't understand how you came to your conclusion...I also found my CS easier to drive at the limit or close to it than my Scud because the mechanical balance was great, the steering was light and it is underpowered by contemporary standards.

The Scuderia probably marks the end of an era, while the Specialé albeit probably being the last na V8 marks the beginning of the new direction Ferrari has embarked on where Pininfarina is no longer part of the picture, digital technologies overwhelm the analog and the modern day car industry regulations dramatically refocus the experience...

Times of the CS - Scuderia did not see such a dramatic shift from the above like what we are seeing now...

9. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Great Thread ...

10. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I definitely agree to all of this! Speciale is a faster or better performance car compare to the Scud hands down to that… but there's something about the Scuderia, more raw or the fact that Schumi was involved in building it. Maybe I'm just biased since I drive one haha LOL!

11. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    #11 redcaruser, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    The Scud ist the perfect combination between a CS and a Speciale, it offers the widest range of emotions: loud, raw, mechanical, direct, honest, unfiltered and almost as fast as a Speciale.

I suspect the "new Ferrari mid engine generation" comes with the "488 Scuderia", this car will be significantly faster than all three "NA circular saws".

12. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    don,t forget the extra 750 lbs. the 488 has, the Scud. keeps up with the Enzo and it has 650hp

13. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Interesting observation so far, however I'm still not that much clearer....
    So has anyone bought a Speciale after being in a Scud and then went back again? And let me put one more Hypothetical question. If you had to choose 2 out of the 3 cars as keepers ie CS/Scud/Sp which would you have and why?

14. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    If they had they'd be pretty fickle as the Spec has only just landed...! Cant see that happening for years / if ever.

Personally I was willing to sell body parts for a CS a couple of years ago, was in the market to buy and came close to but the car wasnt quite right. Then, out of curiousity test drove the Scud and that was that. Put all my desires for the CS (ok I still have some as it is a thing of beauty:)) behind me and nothing will part me from my Scud - the thing is absoluetly fantastic and I'm having trouble keeping out of the seat.

Incidentally, when I bought the car there were a few early Speciales in the show room waiting for collection. Hmmmm they did look VERY good and add in an 'end of era' kudos (last NA V8) are very tempting... But! Even so - I still dont think I'll part from my Scud. While the Speciale looks stunning I think it's a bit too refined / polished and I personally love my special cars to be raw. That gear shift in the Scud is something else, and with remote valves fitted - the noise is biblical!

Having done the journey I agree with other comments about the Scud being the sweet spot. Time could also witness this, whereas the market is looking to the CS as 'the one' views may shift and see the Scud as a sleeping dragon in investment and drivers car.

Mines a keeper - for the other lucky owners out there... ENJOY! :D

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I echo the views on the scud. When I bought mine a year and a half ago, I assumed I'd keep it for two years and trade it in for a 458 once their prices dropped. Now I can't see doing that. The 458 seems almost tame and pedestrian to me now, whether that's fair or not. Also, the limited production of the scud (or cs, spec, etc.) just makes the car that much more special.

OP: Are you considering buying one of these cars, or are you just curious as to the differences? My thought is you can't go wrong with either car. Of course, the comparison is a bit difficult given the large price difference between the two. Yes, the spec is newer and faster than the scud, but it also will cost you an additional $100k-$200k. If you are looking to buy, I think this would be a huge factor in the decision.

16. frafoss

frafoss Rookie

Jun 8, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Frank Foss
    Great to here. I have just signed a contract for a 08 Scud.

17. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    If I had to keep two for my own pleasure I would probably keep the Scud and the Speciale! Investment purposes probably the CS and the Scud. I don't think the Speciale is all that special! And from Chris Harris review I don't think he thought it was all that special either.

18. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Chris didn't like the speciale? I know I watched his review a while back, but I don't remember thinking he didn't like it.

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Among all three cars, the scuderia offeres the best of both worlds. It has the CS rawness, the Speciale's technology (to a certain level) and its fast enough to keep you excited. As far as looks, thats very subjective. I personally like the scuderia. Overall, the scuderia feels a very special car.

20. Lawin

Lawin Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Larry Nguyen
    Super tough question. I tried to make that decision and ended up with all 3 lol

In today's market, the Scud is the most attractive option for the money.

21. Duc5150

Duc5150 Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    The OC, So CA
    Scud is a very visceral driving experience....the sound, the feel, the wicked fast shifts with detonation....it's my weekly therapy session HAHA ......best car I've ever owned, PERIOD...

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Though not in your list of options, I personally would go with Scuderia and 488, then eventually 488 GTO or whatever they're going to call it.

Best NA with Best Turbo performance. WIN-WIN!

23. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Exactly my thoughts.

I was shortly planning to buy a Speciale. After having tested the car I was not longer convinced (I had a very attractive offer). I have also to say; if I wouldn't have a Scud I would have bought the Speciale. But if you own a Scud...

Now I am very curious about the new 488-monster.
    This completely new turbo engine technology has its charm.

24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    #24 scudF1, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    I'm not tempted about the new 488 because I know for fact that it will be another refined car. It will not have the scuderia effect.

25. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I'm sure the "Scuderia" track version of the 488 will be extreme, the difference will be much bigger than it was between the 458 Italia and the Speciale, it will nearly go in the direction of a FXX-version. Of course, this is only a presage... ;)