Scuderia vs. F430 front sway bar | FerrariChat

Scuderia vs. F430 front sway bar

Discussion in '360/430' started by tuonoR, Jun 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    My dealer is trying to fix a clicking sound in the front suspension of my new-to-me Scud. They noticed that the front sway bar may have been replaced at some point with the piece from a regular F430.

Per Ricambi, the regular F430 sway bar is part 170715 and costs $1,005 while the Scud bar is part 229632 and costs $4,064 (gasp!).

They are saying not to worry about it. Anyone know the difference?

2. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    $1700 on Eurospares. Ricambi prices are a joke.

3. IcedAmericano

IcedAmericano Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2013
    SoCal.
    Maybe try to find a 430 Challenge car sway bar (no idea of the price, but if comparable, might be a nice upgrade).

4. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    #4 Loz997S, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Very helpful thanks. They look the same to me other than the matte finish. Anyone know the technical difference? Perhaps it is hollow like the rear bar that is shared with the CS...

6. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Yes, alas cosmetics are probably not a big factor here, the bars could be of completely different construction, material, stiffness, torsional rigidity etc. (hopefully someone can provide those details) but I'm pretty sure the difference doesn't justify the price unless the Scud one is made of gold :)

7. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hard to tell without measuring but the bar without bushings looks thicker. Looks like you can see it by the bushing retaining bits.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not only a matter of O.D. The bars could be solid or hollow and, if hollow, could be different wall thicknesses. Also, they can be different materials and/or different hardness/stiffness. Several different factors that could affect performance.

I like the idea of going with the Challenge bars. I am anti-roll.

9. George in NH

George in NH Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2013
    I thought the Scuderia bars were 20% stiffer and hollow, thus, lighter. Suspension is the next phase of my project, but I haven't started researching it as of yet...so take what I said with a grain of salt ;-)

10. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    #10 tuonoR, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Anyone have the OD of the sway on a Scud as a reference?

They aren't 100% certain, they were going off a comparison with a regular F430 and the fact that there seems to be some play in the bushings the bar rides in. Unfortunately they don't have another scud currently in service.

I'll see if they can't measure both with a caliper...

11. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Measures 18mm on the F430 and my Scud.

Anyone have the Scud spec or willing to put a caliper on theirs?

Thanks.

12. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    I also read somewhere that the creaking (mine also does it a little from the front centre of the Scuttle) is a common trait often nothing to be concerned about. Can also be fixed by greasing up some of the Sway Bar / related parts. I even dropped mine off to the dealer for a check (as I thought it was the dreaded Ball Joints) and they reported nothing a-miss...

13. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The clicking sound can also be the lower shock bolt. Both my Stradale and Scuderia had this problem. As I recall it took 60 ft lbs of torque on the Stradale nut and 80 ft lbs. on the Scuderia to tighten this system. It actually is not the best design but can be solved with a very tight bolt. I think the load from the increased spring rates and stiffer shocks on these two cars adds to the stress on this connection.

Also had one loose sway bar connection to the lower A-arm and this also caused clicking. Yes this stuff was driving me nuts for a while. All good for over a year.

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My scud's suspension is also creaky over bumps. Also had it checked out by the dealer and they confirmed all is fine. Is a trait of the scud suspension and keep in mind there's no sound insulation to prevent you from hearing the noise.

15. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Same noise and same non-issue on mine!

16. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    I measured the front sway on my Stradale with a digital caliper and its 19mm. According to the parts fische the F430, 360 and 360CS (but not the Scud) use the same front bar. So either the measurement from my dealer is wrong or the Scud has a smaller diameter bar (which also happens to cost 4x...)?

In terms of the clicking noise, they replaced the lower shock bushings and greased / tightened the suspension bolts. We'll see how long it lasts. Seems to be a non-issue from a performance standpoint but it's still disconcerting to hear,