what factors will affect the height of the rear roll bar | FerrariChat

what factors will affect the height of the rear roll bar

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jun 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#1 24000rpm, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    what factors will affect the height of this red arrow except the obvious rim radius and tire characteristics.

The reason im asking is that today I measured this height of my red modena and to my surprise, it is 9mm less than my black modena.

I checked the shock and both cars are having the same 23 threads below the spring, so the strut shouldn't have been adjusted.

Rims and tires are the same and inflation are the same 2.1 bar.

rubbers in the shock is showing a little age but no way it will affect it by 9mm, that's more than 0.36 inch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Different spring rates? Check the colour of the paint mark on both cars.... They I believe are, red, white, or yellow...

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd be thinking spring as well... given those parameters.

4. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That isn't a roll bar... But I see that a lift is involved. Did the lack Modena just get put down back on its wheels when measured? Or could the car be loaded some other way? That rear cross member could get flattened a bit I suppose if used as a jacking point, but I doubt it would that much... i thought it's also covered by some sort of rubber, which could have worn off. What about tire tread difference (multiplied by 2) 9mm isn't much, and several little things could be adding up. What about weight inside? Is one a euro? What year of cars? But most obvious to me is... How much gas is in each car? it does move the car a little bit. (On mine I know not because it impacts ride height, but because it impacts negative camber)

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

yea, sorry my bad, its the cross member , but the roll bar is hidden inside :)

yea, the red car is euro, the black one is US , they do weight differently (with gas difference too), but its 9mm, a lot , isn't it

both set of tires are within 2000 miles of mild use, no track, so they are pretty much the same.

I'll check the springs tomorrow...... that's the biggest suspect now

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

where are the paint marks? on the spring itself?

7. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I think they are just a dab of paint put on the spring... I'm pretty sure you'll see different springs in a euro and us car. But the weight including gas could be shifting the car, plus a lot of little differences adding up.

8. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What is the difference in fuel levels in each car? What's the condition of the shock bushings and the coil spring isolator bushings. Is the cars ride height fairly equal all the way around. The age of the spring and mileage. All these can have an effect on your height.

Chris.