turn signal flashers | FerrariChat

turn signal flashers

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bdel, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My turn signals are intermittent. Sometimes they just stay on and sometimes they flash. I know in many cars there is a flasher unit which is easily unplugged (like a relay) and replaced. I could not find anything in the owners manual. Does this init exist in a 360? If so where?

Bdel

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #2 vrsurgeon, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Check by the battery. Looks like the turn signal/emergency flasher relay is bolted to the right wall in front of the big ecu box.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    It's also probably a Bosch unit. For my old 308 $89 from Ferrari.... $21 from the VW dealer. Look for a cross reference.

4. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    thanks everyone.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #5 360trev, Jul 1, 2015
    On the 360 its not from Bosch, this is virtually the same part as one used by quite a few Italian cars of a similar vintage. Its shared with cars like the Fiat Coupe and various Alfa's. It has B883 on the case. On the 360 its a dark green color with a rivited metal L bracket on the top to allowing easy bolting to the footwell area.

On the Fiat's the case doesn't have the bracket, however you can just swap over the casing (it comes of using a flat headed screwdriver to gently prize it off).

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#6 24000rpm, Jul 1, 2015
    this is what it is, the one with "DOT" is US version. The other is euro version

yes, they are different.

and 360God, one question for you: are the springs used on 360s have different rates? i.e. it may occur that one 360's rear height is higher than another iteration's, assuming all others are equal.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm assuming the differences must be attributed to subtle legal reasons (US vs Euro).

By the way, the company was S.D.C (as can be seen on the case), it however no longer exists as it was acquired by Valeo.

---
    On the spring thing. Ferrari had 3 different 'rated' springs depending on the weight of the final car (measured under static load). Different springs weights where used for example depending on the weight of all of the options specified (but only one type on a per axle basis), this was to fine tune the handling between the lightest and the heaviest optioned cars. The spring colors where Yellow, White (no color) and Red. The weight difference between the lightest and the heaviest optioned cars could vary (per axle) by as much as 175kg! So very significant in terms of handling.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    From what I can see not an easy relay to find readily available substitute. Looks like an Alfa and Maserati direct replacement, but some bosch have only 4 spade output connectors. Would LOVE to know the schematic for the relay.

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

one of the local guys who dealt with car electronics all his life told me that most relays can be repaired. Not sure if thats true.

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Like I said, I'm already using a non Ferrari one and its working perfectly on my Euro car. I just swapped over the case so I could bolt it to the chassis.

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    True. Its a cheap automotive relay and its relatively easy to de-solder it and replace the relay but since there are sources of very cheap Fiat equivalents its easier to just buy one of them.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

shed some lights Trev

why does the euro car uses a different relay than a US car?
    what kind of regulation would the Euro version violate??

13. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
  14. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Does anyone know what specific model of car also has this relay? I need it and would like to run to the parts store to get it if possible
    Thanks

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Fiat Coupe

16. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I believe the differences in the relays are because the US Spec cars have the additional side marker lamps.

I fitted a US relay to my Euro car to see if it would work but it made my indicators hyperflash, so I had to return it.

17. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Often if the flashers ,'hyper flash' it means a bulb is out. I used a VW unit once on my Euro 308 with no problems.

18. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    all my bulbs were fine in my case.

I put the US spec relay in = hyperflashing

replaced with the euro spec and my indicators worked fine

19. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Bump, looking for the 171375 U.S. spec relay. Where can I find one?

20. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Update for those looking for a turning signal relay (number 171375), Exotic Auto Recycling has them in stock for $50.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Don't be afraid to open up your flasher relay if it is acting up. Mine was on my F355 spider. Inside, there was a small PC board and I found a bad cold solder joint. I touched it up with a soldering iron, and fixed! The relay was over $200 from the usual sources

whatheheck likes this.
  22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just a FYI...

I went through 3 different Indicator relays because I was having problems. Only to discover the real problem was my immobilizer/door lock receiving unit. Its got a soldered on relay inside the unit to flash the indicators when you blip the fob. When this relay starts to fail it causes weird issues (due to voltage spikes) with the indicator relay. At first I thought I just had bad relays but then I suspected it was the indicator stalks (since I didn't even think about the immobilizer), once I got a Scuding relay I knew it was something else...

Worth checking this...

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve got a spare scud ing blinker relay box which I’ll sell. I ended up with two as I trouble shoot my blinker problem.

I’ll check out that fiat option for my us Modena. Thx

24. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Update, Exotic Auto Recycling made a mistake and does not have a turn signal relay now. Any thoughts on where to get one? It is the US version, number 171375.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I just bought a brand new Swiss ing solid state 360 / 430 blinker module...… you will need the adapter cable from Scud Swiss....
    LMK if you want it..... will sell for 80% of new.

360trev likes this.