My new adjustable & dampened exhaust brackets | FerrariChat

My new adjustable & dampened exhaust brackets

Discussion in '360/430' started by RonnieRenaldi, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Very nice!

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Are you the intial tester for these brackets?

3. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Looks great! Is this for the OEM exhaust or their x-pipe?

4. ncm6cabrio

ncm6cabrio Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 28, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike M.
    Very interesting!

5. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    S-Line used my car to create the initial prototype but I just had these finished product installed last week by them.
    They already shipped these also to a few customers.

Doesn't matter, I used OEM brackets for my Tubi exhaust and S-Line exhaust, see pic #2.

6. sazali

sazali Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Hi Ronnie,
    How to get this parts?
    Btw am a future F430 and just make a preparation for my F430

7. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Maybe it is me, but how are the brackets connected to the pipe? Is there a strap or some other device making the connections?

8. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    The bracket has a bent over flange that the pipe sits on, Then there is a strap clamp (T clamp) that tighten both parts together.

The dampener may see some heat. May want to keep an eye on that to make sure it does not degrade. Also there are some sharp bends that are not relieved where it transitions. This can be stress points where cracks can start.

The brackets do look way, way better than stock!!!!

Good Luck!

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Nice upgrade right there. Rubber bushes should stay coolish.

10. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Very interesting. How do the brackets allow the exhaust to move rearwards?

11. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    #12 RonnieRenaldi, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are the clamps from above:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey Ronnie - any idea what kind of plastic/rubber/composite/urethane etc those dampers are made of? My Tubi just caught on fire and I may need to make my own or have them made! TIA for any leads.

13. ducsc1k

ducsc1k Karting

Jun 8, 2013
    NYC
    Full Name:
    John
    How much and how's this compare to the Capristo bracket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Smart design. The stock brackets are notorious for breaking. Keep us all posted with an update.

15. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Please explain "caught on fire" and if you have some pictures it would even be better.

16. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Looks like a suspension control arm bushing was used in the fabrication.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #18 singletrack, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the 430 scud, the tubi is mounted to the gearbox via a bracket with 2 bolts and a nut. There are three sliders on the bracket to which the muffler mounts. The sliders are accepted by three rubber bushings. One of these bushings was smoking and the rubber had red veins in it that were on fire. I didn't measure the temp until I had doused it in water, but it was still over 300F.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    I don't know what they're made from, have you called Tubi?
    They have made their exhaust for a long time right, I don't think you're the first with the problem.

19. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    OMG, that sucks, seems like all the data wasn't in when they sold this design to the public. Maybe they should be told about the high temp and rubber on fire...

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Monday I will be calling tubi USA aka champion. Will keep you guys posted.

21. treue

treue Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Tom Treue
    Guys,

Here is the main problem with the 430 OEM exhaust system.

Any material, when heated, expands. Stainless steel expands at the rate of 1.7x 10ˉ⁵ inch/inch-deg. In other words, if you take a piece of stainless steel (doesn’t matter the cross sectional shape), say, a 430 exhaust system of about 50” length, and heat it to, say an average of 600°F, that piece will increase about 0.50” in length.

This is all well and good, except that the 430 exhaust scheme puts severe restraints on that expansion. The OEM muffler is rigidly mounted to the transaxle. The engine and transmission also expand in length some, but they are at around 200°F, so don’t expand as much. Also, the exhaust headers are rigidly mounted to the engine, on one end, and to the cats on the other end. Ultimately, the exhaust components are forced to expand a net ¼”, but they can’t because of the restraints of the mounting scheme. This results in a bending load being applied to each exhaust runner of the headers and on the two side supports also mounted to the rear of the transaxle and rigidly to the exhaust tube where the cats join the tip tubes coming out of the muffler and proceeding to the tips at the rear of the car.

It gets better. Every time you take your 430 out for a spin, this restrained expansion occurs and the bending loads are applied to the exhaust runners and the side supports. Then you come home and the engine cools back to ambient temperature (70°F to 600°F then back to 70°F), so the exhaust system returns to its original length and the bending loads on the headers and side supports are released. After this is done several dozen times, fatigue sets in and things break at the weakest points: the runners break at the joint with the mounting flanges or at tubing joints and the side supports break just above the little 90° brackets. The dealer that sold my 07 to me had just replaced the headers and one of the side supports had a crack halfway through it. Also, the MKII headers were “upgraded” over the MKIs by just applying heavier welds between the runners and the mounting flanges. Classic.

Also, it is very hot in the 430 engine bay, so, at best, any rubber will harden much quicker than out in ambient conditions and, at worst, it will catch fire as seen above.

I have mounted my OEM (pending upgrade to Novitec) exhaust on a pair of Capristo mounts. As an engineer, I like the Capristo design because it is all-metal and accommodates the expansion (visibly about 0.30”) of the exhaust system with slots, thus eliminating all the restraints.

Tom (retired PE)
    07 F430 Coupé

22. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Ron, thanks for the top view of the bracket.

How much testing time do you have on these brackets, and is anything being effected adversely by the heat?

For someone like me who is considering moving up to a 430, this seems like a good first project to under take.

Thank you for your efforts.

23. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    These brackets are $450.

I just asked S-Line and they said those are urethane mounts which have been tested on a turbo Porsche endurance race car. Bushing still good after a 4-hour race.