Would you buy an f430 if? | FerrariChat

Would you buy an f430 if?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jlnike, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jlnike

Jlnike Rookie

Dec 27, 2014
    It still had mk1 headers on it? If so would you factor a replacement job into the cost of the car? What about the possibility of other problems that could come up because of it, would you get them changed out right away or is it fine and this mk1 manifold problem is just blown out of proportion. I'm a noob and any opinion is much appreciated. Said car supposedly has updates brackets from the factory? I've never heard of that before I thought it was either factory version 1 and only or capristo.

2. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Headers (exhaust manifold) are a problem on 2005, 2006, and 2007. They are less likely to crack on the '08's and newer F430's because the newer MK2 headers are better than the old MK1 headers.

Have Capristo exhaust brackets ($600) and/or Capristo headers installed to remove tension from headers or install Fabspeed headers ($3,000).
    Headers are supposed to be covered for 8 yrs under the national emissions warranty.

3. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I bought an '07 with MK1 a while back. Were replaced with MK2 last fall. Covered under 8 year emission warranty. Figure you will need to replace them. 8 year emission warranty no longer available unless car has a late '07 date.

4. Jlnike

Jlnike Rookie

Dec 27, 2014
    Car is an 05 hence my questions?
    Was there such a thing as a new oem bracket that releived the stress making mk1 not crack or break down? Should I be factoring changing them in my purchase price for sure and if so how much on average, I'm out of warranty.

Should t it have been a recall if everyone needed them?

5. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It is my understanding that both the brackets and manifolds were updated and that updated brackets did not preclude needing the manifolds updated (men had updated brackets). If it were me, I would assume I needed to purchase new manifolds and factor that into price.

No thoughts on the recall. Do not understand the legal requirements for a recall.

6. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    I purchased an 05 Spider with low mileage (about 4,000 miles over 9 years). Except for the silencer (Tubi silencer and exhaust pipes), everything was stock including the manifolds (Mk1) and brackets. I changed over to Capristo headers and Twin sound exhaust with their brackets. Upon removal and inspection of the OEM manifolds, they were still in good condition with no signs of leakage or cracking.

When I purchased the car from the Ferrari dealer, I asked whether they would consider changing the manifolds to Mk2 as part of the deal. They declined and told me that the 8 year warranty had expired and that it only applied if the manifold was showing signs of wear. Obviously there are/ were issues with the manifolds, which could lead to more serious problems if the OEM manifolds cracked but they also told me that much of this issue depended on how hard the car was driven since they rarely encountered the cracking issues on "daily drivers".... Obviously, some of this is accurate but I also understand that the dealer was playing down a contentious issue....

In reality, I don't believe that a decision to purchase any luxury item or exotic car should be solely based on fears about potential issues. Pick the make and model of car that you desire and do your due diligence. Any car you buy can and will have some issues, just be prepared to accept and make the necessary changes. Buy the car that you really want (without stretching your finances unreasonably) as settling for less will always cost you more in the long term....

Cheers
    FN

7. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My 2007 had the mk2 installed prior to my purchase. I still went ahead and upgraded to a Fabspeed set up.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    The headers all crack, including the latest. Just takes them longer.

Art

9. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    It depends on the price. If you are getting a good deal on the car then don't worry about it.

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I would keep an eye on them but not replace until they show signs of issues - you could change brackets to the Capristo brackets to relief stress. Keep in mind that it wasn't a recall, but a warranty coverage. That means they have to fail to be replaced under the 8 year emission warranty. If "yours" haven't failed they wouldn't be replaced (even if the car was still under emission warranty). Put money aside for it, but if they are fine I wouldn't expect seller to replace or discount full amount to replace.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wouldn't let an 430 with the original MK1 manifolds scare you away. They will go eventually. Just keep an eye on them and when they do replace with Fabspeed or Capristo. I doubt a seller will give you a discount on a car with these headers in them if they are still good. Technically there is nothing wrong with them or the car.