Main cat de-cat | FerrariChat

Main cat de-cat

Discussion in '360/430' started by alex360S, Jul 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Has anyone tried de-catting the main cats on a 360? Is the effect the same as test pipes? Will there be any problems created to engine functioning other than a cel? Is the sound the same as test pipes?

2. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why would you want to destroy very expensive converters? Just buy the test pipes and be happy. Save the converters if you ever need to have the car emissions tested.

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Flow through a straight pipe will be better than through a cat with no core. No change to engine function. Straight pipes or high flow cats would be a better idea.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    From what I've read so far, I would decat the primary cat first if I didn't have headers (to prevent what others have discussed frequently here about the core disintegrating and getting ingested by the engine)

6. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have already de-catted the headers. Was just wondering if it was worth to do the same to the existing original main cats or to purchase straight pipes. I guess I'll go with the purchase of straight pipe option and keep the originals in case of any issues with neighbours or police. Thanks for your replies.

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks.

Any cels?

This will be my winter project.

8. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yes I did get the CEL's. Fixed by installing 90deg extenders on the post cat lambdas. Tracked it and put at least 1200kms, no more CEL. Be careful with the length of those 90deg extenders, if too long you won't be able to screw them in unles you dismantle lots of stuff. I cut and rewelded them short enough to screw them in.

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Alex. Maybe in the winter I will bother you for a pic if I can't get it right.

10. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau

Really? The 90 deg extenders cancelled out your CEL's on basically straight pipes?

11. blueTT

blueTT Rookie

May 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Winston
    When I look into the location of the O2 sensors, there seems to be 1 before the precat and one in between the precat and main cat. Wouldn't changine the main cat to a straight pipe NOT cause a CEL? Why can't we just do that?

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The OP has de-catted his headers not the main cats yet. 90deg extenders have fixed his CEL from that.

13. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Exactly.

14. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Anyone know the diameter of the exhaust pipe at the connection flange between the header and main cat?

15. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just ordered a set of test pipes from Fabspeed. Will post results once installed.