Which one sounds the best? | FerrariChat

Which one sounds the best?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Jul 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Here's a video from a member of the public whom snapped our convoy on a recent trip to Isle of Man (The Pre-TT 2015 super cars event).

Maybe I'm biased but tell me guys, which one of these cars sounds the best in this low speed drive by video ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSW1oEga6Yc

I'll give you a hint, I drive past 35 seconds in ;)

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No comment's. Ok, I know this clip was was *very* tame (drive by a less than 30mph, huh!), I was just quite surprised at how the later cars, Scud, Speciale, etc. mostly sounded quite subdued in comparison at these low speeds.

I *promise* I will get some 9k+ video's done next time I drive and let you listen to how it sounds at shifting close to the (soft) 9,250rpm limiter with 360 Racing Style Exhaust (bypass @ WOT) with Kinetix sports cats, fabspeed headers and custom remapped with Stradale fuel maps, etc. Its quite something !

-T

3. George in NH

George in NH Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2013
    Not being a brown noser here, but yours was by far the best sounding car. In my opinion, raw, loud, and aggressive sounding exhausts are perfect. Most of the other cars sounded like they had stock exhaust...which is fine, if that's what you like....I don't though. ;-)

4. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Hi Trev
    I think you know the answer to your question!
    Am I right in thinking you're based in Telford? My CS is near Shrewsbury, drop me a PM if you fancy a meet. I'd love a closer look at your car, the build thread has been a great read.

5. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Your car sounds very extreme, much more raw than the others. When I had an F430 I thought a 360 with the racing exhaust sounded meaner than my car. Is the loudness of your full exhaust setup comparable to a Timate Titanium System (Timate is the loudest and most extreme system I have ever heard)?

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I really wasn't looking for anything but genuine comments.

What is quite remarkable about the setup I have is that it still runs factory valves and back box, so it sounds relatively quiet at idle - and therefore surprisingly liveable on a day to day basis. You can also have a conversation at motorway/beltway speeds without a problem of being heard, yet as soon as you aggressively drop the loud pedal (70% or above a given rpm) the thing just changes attitude and it goes super hardcore. I love it.

7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Nope, not Telford but I am within an hour from you being close to Nantwich in Cheshire, so not far at all really. As soon as I get a free weekend I'd love to pop over or vice versa! Glad you enjoyed the build. I really need to update that thread as I've done tonnes since then, few kg Braille Lithium Battery (silly lightweight!), Bespoke 'Safety Devices' Rollcage, Racing Style Factory backbox and tips, etc. etc. etc.

-T

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Its much quieter than a Timate when the valves are closed (so you can hear yourself talk!) but when open it definitely is louder because it in essence bypasses the backbox completely so its a race cats back soundtrack when the valves are open then!

9. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    That sounds like a good excuse for a drive! PM me through Pistonheads, as I get message notifications on direct email, which Fchat doesn't do.
    The standard exhaust is perfect to my ears. I pulled the vacuums hoses a few weeks ago. That little experiment lasted about 10 mins! The noise is unbelievable, but quite agricultural at low revs. It is far nicer with the 4000rpm+, WOT, eruption.
    One thing I've never heard is how it sounds from the outside. Friends who have heard it from both inside and outside the car say outside is much more impressive...it's a form of community service really!

10. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    well all the Ferraris sounds the best of course, especially the red ones lol!

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Car sounds good Trev! ................. I like what you did with your 360 ..... I'm considering doing the same thing, as I would like to have a manual GB .... :)

12. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    Cool!!! So the racing exhaust with valves pinned open, and race cats or test pipes is pretty much the most extreme sound you can get from the 360?

13. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have my 360 setup with test pipes, stradale exhaust and a valve controller. While I'm a 12 year-old-boy in a man's body, I still feel the sound can get *too loud. I would love a compromise between that crispness of having it open but at a lower DB level. I've contemplated replacing the headers with aftermarket to remove precat, but then add a hiflow cat in the back. However, I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree. It seems that perhaps another exhaust system could solve the whole problem by having better acoustics.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Finally a vid! Can't wait to hear the rest because this is a very promising noise. :)

15. kommons

kommons Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A little recording I have from the cabin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhwO6KSvtKQ

Trev - Do you have any recordings from the back? (mounted gopro or something?)

I will try to get mine, would love to hear a bit of comparison.